• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New user with first custom build

Wolvenhaven

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I've been reading through everything on here to decide what I wanted to do for my rifle precision rifle. Took me a few months and I sold a rifle of mine to fund it, but I've come up with roughly what I want, but I'd really appreciate input on any kind of modifications or changes you guys would make.

Action: Remington 700 SA in .308
Barrel: 28" 1:10 twist 5R #11 contour Kreiger Barrel
Trigger: Jewell with bottom safety and bolt release
Chassis: MAK tube-gun
Scope: SS 10x42

The action, barrel, and trigger are already here. The MAK chassis will be here around 12 weeks from now, and I haven't ordered the optic yet.

I'm going to have my gunsmith put it all together for me and I'll be discussing with him what all needs to be done. I'm planning on having the action trued, the barrel cut to 24"(should I go shorter?), crowned, threaded, chambered and fluted(to save weight); and the action glued into the tube, but from my research the bare minimum would be the barrel work and putting it on the action and having the trigger mounted. Am I wrong here and would it be shootable in this condition? I would like to try out the MAK chassis before permanently gluing the action into it in case I don't like it.

I got the SS 10x42(from the group buy) because I can afford it now, the range I go to is 600y which a 10x is more than capable of, and the rifle and glass will probably outshoot me for a long time before I become skilled enough to need an upgrade to the glass, and by then I'll have the funds.

Are there any glaring issues with any of this? This is pretty much all from reading through here and other places so I'm not 100% on if I've understood it all right.

Thanks guys, the information here on the hide has been amazing.

Re: New user with first custom build

It's a never ending debate. Lots of people are turning to a 18.5" for mobility to 24" for velocity. As you can see shorter is less velocity and longer has more. Depends on what you want. My 700P came in 26" and now cut down to 20". Wouldn't change a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where in GA are you located?

</div></div>

Marietta, I go to creekside(Taylorsville) range to shoot.

Well I've given up on the MAK tube-gun as it's been a week now with no response to my email, so I emailed CompetitionShootingStuff about their RTS chassis and I'm probably going to get one of those instead.

No love for the McMillans or manners?

Set up looks good. For me, most of anything that needs shooting in GA can be done with a 20" .308. The 10# barrel will make things interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for the McMillans or manners?

Set up looks good. For me, most of anything that needs shooting in GA can be done with a 20" .308. You plan on hunting with it? </div></div>

I'll probably go with a manners on the next rifle I build, but I really like the tube-chassis concept and want to give it a try first; and that's partially because I like having something that's different from everyone else's as I haven't seen one before and it seems like a great way to remove having to bed it as well as having to get bottom metal.

I've hunted once, and the only deer I saw the entire time was a huge buck crossing the road as I was driving home from the weekend(I was really tempted to hit the bastard) so probably not, but I might at some point.

Oh, and my SS 10x42 got here today so it's going onto my .22 target rifle until I get this build done because I want to test it out.

I have a 26" heavy Krieger barrel on one of my .308s. It's heavy, but that isn't really a problem. The problem is that it's so front heavy that anything other than shooting it is downright unpleasant or at least a PITA. I just sold a .308 that had a 22" Krieger on it and I'm missing that rifle. I'm thinking that 22" is probably a good compromise between handling and velocity. With the 22", I could get a 175gr SMK to 2600fps pretty easily. When I take a bit of down time from shooting, I'm going to have my 26" cut to 22". I might consider going shorter, but I want a bit of play room for when it's time to have the chamber recut.

I actually like the longer barrels. I have a 26" Bartlein and its nice getting 2775 with only 43 grains of varget with a 175 smk. The shorter barrels are nice if you had to put it in a car or vehicle.