• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New USO 1-8??

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
I just seen that US Optics is coming out with mid price ranged optics in 1-6 and 1-8. I really like the reticle in it as well and for 800 it seems like a solid choice. Plus they are not heavy. They are the TS-6 and TS-8- https://www.usoptics.com/product/ts-8x/

I am not sure anyone has one yet for a review but I am happy to see them. I may have to get one to test in the near future. I am sure someone else talked about them already but I have not seen any posts about them.

I have an SR8 and if I didn't have it I'd probably get that one (but I've wanted a 1.8-10x since they came out). It has a simple tree reticle but works more like a dot sight at closer range.

I wonder why the 6x version is nearly twice as much for an SFP?

i hope itll be on display at the NRAAM this year. I'm excited for the new offering granted it's from USO and 1-6, 1-8 for a great price. However, I'm hearing mixed reviews for the SVS 1-6. So maybe i shouldn't get my hopes up too high..

i hope itll be on display at the NRAAM this year. I'm excited for the new offering granted it's from USO and 1-6, 1-8 for a great price. However, I'm hearing mixed reviews for the SVS 1-6. So maybe i shouldn't get my hopes up too high..
They will absolutely be in our booth at NRAAM 2019. Stop by the booth and take a look for yourself. We’ll have both reticles available on display.

• Love
Reactions: 762by51
Well, I can say the older 1-8x is the titties the way it works. I think they called it dual focal plane IIRC. It's pretty cool how the Eotech style sight turns into a FFP tree reticle, all fully lit and the ring disappears. I wonder what this one will be like. I do believe the older one cost more though, but if it does all the same things the old one does, then it's gonna be a pretty badass setup for a really good price for that range, that type of use. This is by far the most flexible scope I've ever seen or owned and it would've been a kickass DMR scope too where you want the best of both worlds.

Here's the old one on an 11.5 Lilja Grendel SBR w/5" Ultra; it really seems at home here, perfect use:

I still don't get why the 1-6 is more, especially if what you say is true and it has shitty reviews. It IS an SFP and maybe people were expecting the usual FFP from USO, I can only speculate. But that's a killer price for a 1-8x from them, especially if they maintained their quality. These older ones can always be used as a hammer in a pinch.

Last edited:
B-series and SVS scopes are made int he US.

TS series scopes are designed by US Optics, but made in Asia somewhere. Then they get to the US Optics facility in the US where they are go through the full QC/final test process.

I suspect that is what drives the price difference.

ILya

That is a great price, I just assumed they would be up there with the NF 1-8 models. I’d like to stack one against a Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 and see how it does.

That is a great price, I just assumed they would be up there with the NF 1-8 models. I’d like to stack one against a Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 and see how it does.

I just pinged the guy I talked to at SHOT to see if any are available.

I have XTR II 1-8x24 here, so I can do an quick side-by-side.

I liked the way TS 1-6x24 scope looked at SHOT, so I am very curious to see how a full production scope stacks up.

ILya

Last edited:
More China imports....I guess if us optics can't compete as one of the only USA built scopes they might as well copy these rest of the trash on the market. Final qc of a finished product means nothing if the same level of a quality control was not used during sub assembly and final construction. Issues that would pass their "qc" won't show up till they are run hard.

Shit is no different than the dozen other oem China trash optics sold by the same usual suspects.

More China imports....I guess if us optics can't compete as one of the only USA built scopes they might as well copy these rest of the trash on the market. Final qc of a finished product means nothing if the same level of a quality control was not used during sub assembly and final construction. Issues that would pass their "qc" won't show up till they are run hard.

Shit is no different than the dozen other oem China trash optics sold by the same usual suspects.

Not necessarily. If the final performance testing is done properly, it will force the manufacturer to keep up the assembly quality.

Another difference is that US Optics said that the design is entirely their own. Most companies use one of the existing OEM designs with slight mods.

Given the ever increasing quality of the stuff I see coming out of better overseas OEMs, I would not discard this scope quite so quickly.

ILya

Reactions: Ravenous
Yea everyone says that.

You have a fundamental different culture. Without American or Europeans on site running operations you get shit out of china. Doesn't matter if its rubber dog shit or a J20 jet (which they still can't make an engine for that doesn't blow up).

You trust chicom manufactures to actually give a fuck? We have alot of experience with Chinese manufacturing including using their machines here in the us (no one else makes certain things). You have a culture that encourages cheating and never actually learning fundamentals coupled with no sense of pride of craftsmanship coupled with greed of a third world culture.

They just dont care, unless you ride their asses, which requires bodies IN china to oversea operations, because as soon as you leave, its back to halfassistan.

Rule of optics to live by is if its not made in the USA, Japan or Europe,..... run away fast. And even then you have to be careful (looking at you steiner/usa & IOR). Nothing thus far has proven that wrong.

Until it does, you really can't make an argument.

I do not know if US Optics plans to have anyone in China on any sort of a semi-permanent basis representing their interest, but I have seen companies do that with good success.

I have also seen several Chinese-made riflescope lines hold up exceedingly well, so it is clearly possible. I do know that at least a couple of those companies have presence at the OEM nine months out of a year.

Chinese manufacturing culture is indeed distinctly different, but I know that int he hi tech world, they are making some serious efforts to get better and get smarter. I do not think there is any risk of them respecting IP laws any time soon, but in the semiconductor world they are distinctly better.

Now, I havn't the foggiest idea of who US Optics uses to build stuff and what kind of arrangement they have with them. I don't even know if that is in China, Phillipines or Japan, although since they said Asia, it is probably China.

All I am saying is that discarding the product out of hand before it ever gets here is a bit excessive. I've seen all sorts of creative workarounds for manufacturing culture differences. I know companies who get a product made in China and then when it get here, they disassemble the whole thing and re-align/re-assemble it in the US.

They are effectively using Chinese assembly as "kitting" to make sure everything is there. It still ends up with a nice cost saving for them compared to sourcing and assembling everything in the US.

ILya

All the China bashing by gun owners always cracks me up. I don't disagree with you about them stealing technology and really having no innovation, they are also good at providing products that were designed by other countries. Take a look at most companies out there that deal with manufacturing, the US or Europe are not the places of manufacture. I'm looking at my MacBook right now and it says "designed by Apple in California, assembled in China." And from US Optics point of view, just like Vortex and Athlon have done, there is nothing wrong with having different classes of products. Sure, have your high end optics all built here but then have another line built elsewhere for significantly cheaper, where I'm sure they will make many more sales. There will always be problems with any product, it's the company behind it that really needs to be stand up and take corrective action. Vortex is a prime example. People bitch and complain about having to go through the warranty process with high end scopes on here all the time, i.e. Kahles, S&B, and I remember with Premier before. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter who manufactures it, it matters who designed it and how they control it.

And "run hard," I love reading this term on these forums. Unless you're running equipment that is paid for by someone else, such as the government, you have no idea what run hard means. I certainly have no problems treating my personal guns like the tools they are, but I definitely treat them differently than the weapons I'm issued.

Reactions: phlegethon
Yea everyone says that.
Rule of optics to live by is if its not made in the USA, Japan or Europe,..... run away fast. And even then you have to be careful (looking at you steiner/usa & IOR). Nothing thus far has proven that wrong.

LOL!
Meh...! Zero interest here in Chi-Com manufactured US Optics (isn't that a huge oxymoron...? ) product!

edit to add:

The more I think about it, its actually rather sad... Strikes me as the last-gasp-effort of a dying brand desperately trying to rediscover some relevance in the current market. Why on earth would a so-named company choose to off-shore their product? I keenly remember when USO was regularly, and prominently, mentioned among the tier one optics labels here.

"Innovate or die..." is, was, always will be, the honest truth in business, optics and otherwise...

Last edited:
Well they have been a shitty company for the last 15+ years...and haven't been relevant since then, s&b and premier were the only game in town. I told George years ago move the fuck out of California and maybe you can compete better. Their glass grinders or some shit were close by but to think one of the only actually us made optics couldn't figure out the market while having Klingon aesthetics and design. I don't think u could make clunkier, ugly scopes if you tried. They should have been cleaning up, especially considering the euro extchange rates at the time.

Reactions: K1978 and JWG
Well they have been a shitty company for the last 15+ years...and haven't been relevant since then, s&b and premier were the only game in town. I told George years ago move the fuck out of California and maybe you can compete better. Their glass grinders or some shit were close by but to think one of the only actually us made optics couldn't figure out the market while having Klingon aesthetics and design. I don't think u could make clunkier, ugly scopes if you tried. They should have been cleaning up, especially considering the euro extchange rates at the time.
This. And they break.

I happen to agree with the opinion of poor product in general coming from China. While IT Manager for PSE Archery we underwent a huge recall on crossbows. Why? Faulty trigger mechanisms produced in China. We trusted the vendor to correct the error which resulted in yet another recall just three months later. Simply junk.

Yea everyone says that.

You have a fundamental different culture. Without American or Europeans on site running operations you get shit out of china. Doesn't matter if its rubber dog shit or a J20 jet (which they still can't make an engine for that doesn't blow up).

You trust chicom manufactures to actually give a fuck? We have alot of experience with Chinese manufacturing including using their machines here in the us (no one else makes certain things). You have a culture that encourages cheating and never actually learning fundamentals coupled with no sense of pride of craftsmanship coupled with greed of a third world culture.

They just dont care, unless you ride their asses, which requires bodies IN china to oversea operations, because as soon as you leave, its back to halfassistan.

I tend to agree with the idea that the right QC and oversight means a good quality can be made in China (and other places) but it doesn't always hold true.

I work for an airline in the Engineering/Maintenance division, like other airlines they send maintenance to Asia either China, Singapore or Hong Kong and there are some horrible stories from guys who have been there overseeing work being done.
-work being signed off that hadn't been done
-work that was done wrong
-inspections carried out that had no findings when the reps knew there should be issues due to years of doing the inspections themselves, when they went and had a look found multiple issues which they pointed out, then when the repair was "completed" they went back to check and saw that they repaired what damage was pointed out to them, but didn't repair the other damage right next to it.

If you can't trust these places when it comes to Aviation which is mandated up the wazoo , then what can you trust them in?

Funnily enough some Asian countries do put out some very high quality products (Japan, Korea etc) but China in particular seems to notorious for poor quality and bad quality control.
I meet a lot of different people in my job, especially people from all over Asia, Westerners typically lump all Asians into the same basket and think they are all the same, but the cultural difference are vast not only between countries, but can vary an enormous amount in a single country.
I've meet some great people from Southern China (Guangzhou) who are totally different that guys I've meet from Beijing.
A lot of the culture of the area has a huge bearing on the working conditions and work culture in the factories that produce stuff for the Western market.

Unfortunately all products just say "Made in China" so you have no idea of what standard the product has been made to, that's when you need to have trust in the company that is supplying the product.
It'll be a long time before I trust Chinese made rifle scopes and vehicles, but it'd appear that they have sorted out the electronics market at least if you stick to the well known brands.

Color it how you want, stereotypes exist for a reason. I don't do Hecho en Mexico, or Made in China on my vehicles, or my rifles, or anything, really.

I tend to agree with the idea that the right QC and oversight means a good quality can be made in China (and other places) but it doesn't always hold true.

I work for an airline in the Engineering/Maintenance division, like other airlines they send maintenance to Asia either China, Singapore or Hong Kong and there are some horrible stories from guys who have been there overseeing work being done.
-work being signed off that hadn't been done
-work that was done wrong
-inspections carried out that had no findings when the reps knew there should be issues due to years of doing the inspections themselves, when they went and had a look found multiple issues which they pointed out, then when the repair was "completed" they went back to check and saw that they repaired what damage was pointed out to them, but didn't repair the other damage right next to it.

If you can't trust these places when it comes to Aviation which is mandated up the wazoo , then what can you trust them in?

Funnily enough some Asian countries do put out some very high quality products (Japan, Korea etc) but China in particular seems to notorious for poor quality and bad quality control.
I meet a lot of different people in my job, especially people from all over Asia, Westerners typically lump all Asians into the same basket and think they are all the same, but the cultural difference are vast not only between countries, but can vary an enormous amount in a single country.
I've meet some great people from Southern China (Guangzhou) who are totally different that guys I've meet from Beijing.
A lot of the culture of the area has a huge bearing on the working conditions and work culture in the factories that produce stuff for the Western market.

Unfortunately all products just say "Made in China" so you have no idea of what standard the product has been made to, that's when you need to have trust in the company that is supplying the product.
It'll be a long time before I trust Chinese made rifle scopes and vehicles, but it'd appear that they have sorted out the electronics market at least if you stick to the well known brands.
It's interesting to see how the region can make such a difference. I'm currently sitting in Africa and pretty much everything here is made in China. But there is a huge difference in the products from China that are here and those that we have in the States or Europe. The door handles, toilets, or windows etc. The stuff here is literally something you would find in a dollar store back home. There's certainly a difference in the standards that are produced in China.

Reactions: 762by51
I have seen the Chinese put out some higher end products in the knife industry, so I thought I’d try one of these new USO branded scopes.

As I unboxed it, I couldn’t help noticing that it looked like a Primary Arms optic with a USO logo, so I wasn’t expecting much...but good lord, it was baaaaad. Picky eye box, the not-so-matte black finish screamed “Made in China”, and the magnification collar was a bit loose. Took me all of 2 minutes to decide to send it back.

The JNG-Mil reticle, something they actually offer in the more expensive B series, was my least favorite reticle that I’ve ever seen at 8x...lines are unreasonably thick and the reticle is absolutely cluttered with numbers.

I don’t know what USO is thinking, aside from the fact that companies like Vortex are kicking their ass selling sub-$1k scopes and they want in. To me, this is the equivalent of Ferrari putting out a $30,000 assembly line car to compete with Ford...something they’re not well versed in, and something that they shouldn’t expect to go well.

USO should’ve stayed in their lane, and I will be surprised if they’re still offering these Chinese scopes in a couple years. If they are still offering them, they will have to have made vast improvements. As it stands right now, I’d put the quality on par with Primary Arms (in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s thd same manufacturer).

And if you’re thinking “It’s a USO and it costs $800...how bad could it be?” That’s exactly what I said, and I was bewildered at how bad it actually was.

To anyone still thinking about it, do yourself a favor...get a PST Gen II 1-6x and you’ll be getting twice the scope for less money...or spend a few hundred more and get something really nice like an EOTech Vudu or a used Razor 1-6x. Or even a Trijicon Accupower 1-8x.

1-8x magnification is cool, but there are a lot of 1-6x scopes I’d rather have.

Reactions: plong
And even then you have to be careful (looking at you steiner/usa & IOR). Nothing thus far has proven that wrong.

As someone who recently experienced Steiner in all their shittiness first hand, that gave me a good laugh, as I was thinking exactly that as I read your post.

I genuinely feel sorry for these guys who spend the money on a Steiner and think they’re getting Nightforce or similar quality, when the truth is they could’ve gotten better glass and construction for half the money.

The scary thing is the glass can look really good to an untrained eye. If you’ve done a fair bit of work behind a good $2,000 scope and you know how things should look in certain lighting situations, it becomes more apparent without side-by-side scrutiny.

So yeah, they can still pump out some overpriced junk in the good old USA.

Last edited:
Have to agree with the comments on the TS8X JNG MIL. The lines are way to thick that they cover a 1 MOA target at 100 yds. As to overall quality I think you will get some mileage on it but it is by no means a nightforce or razor gen 2. I think they (USO) put this out there as a way to at least enter the LPVO world more than they have and compete with maybe the lower/lower middle tier LPVOs such as trijicon accupoints/accupowers. I have a few hundred rounds through mine and after shooting with it on sunny days and rain storms I would not say it is near a NF or SB LPVO. Then again I am not sure that was the intent in this optic.

I'm not sure what all triggered the move and USO changing hands but I have a feeling they know they are fighting an uphill battle to regain some credibility. I'm still waiting to get behind a B25. So maybe there is a chance. But it is an uphill fight for them.

Last edited:
Have to agree with the comments on the TS8X JNG MIL. The lines are way to thick that they cover a 1 MOA target at 100 yds. As to overall quality I think you will get some mileage on it but it is by no means a nightforce or razor gen 2. I think they (USO) put this out there as a way to at least enter the LPVO world more than they have and compete with maybe the lower/lower middle tier LPVOs such as trijicon accupoints/accupowers. I have a few hundred rounds through mine and after shooting with it on sunny days and rain storms I would not say it is near a NF or SB LPVO. Then again I am not sure that was the intent in this optic.

I'm not sure what all triggered the move and USO changing hands but I have a feeling they know they are fighting an uphill battle to regain some credibility. I'm still waiting to get behind a B25. So maybe there is a chance. But it is an uphill fight for them.
My disappointment with the B25.
I needed 19.6 mils and only had 19 available so bad I dialed back down to 13 and tried to hold the rest and still had a hard time getting a decent site picture because of horrible vingetting at even that little amount of turret travel. What’s even worse is I sold an awesome LR 17 to buy the B25. I do like my B10 and SVS 1-6 but so far those are the only new items from USO I have been happy with.

Last edited:
I have an older 1-8 dual radical with a blue dot that that can be turned on and off as for the quality the older ones were good no shadowing really clear on one power and 8 power is so so it’s a first focal plane mil-mil so the center crossover gets fairly large all in all I’m really happy with it

Reactions: Catdaddy
My disappointment with the B25.
I needed 19.6 mils and only had 19 available so bad I dialed back down to 13 and tried to hold the rest and still had a hard time getting a decent site picture because of horrible vingetting at even that little amount of turret travel. What’s even worse is I sold an awesome LR 17 to buy the B25. I do like my B10 and SVS 1-6 but so far those are the only new items from USO I have been happy with.
They seem to have gone through a strange transition period where they went from the ER to the B series and started having issues. No idea what's in store moving forward but I do hope they can get back to where they were. Granted it's going to be uphill because this industry is not forgiving. That said there are some people out there running their B series with success.

Reactions: Catdaddy
With the track history that USO had when building scopes in America no need to worry about the Chinese scopes. No way they could be worse. Possibly better.

The TS 8x and 6x are pretty solid scopes for the price. I have used both with no problems at all. The glass is excellent for the price range. I put both through abuse and both held zero with no issues. My only issue with the scopes are the turrets. They don’t feel the best but they work.