• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing New Utah Hunter Questions...

BlackWhiskey

USMC
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Salt Lake County, Utah
Hey gents I've been shooting long range for quite a while but have never hunted and decided that this year is going to be the year. I have my hunters safety and I'm ready to put in for the draw tomorrow but I don't know what area(s) or what animal(s) to put in for on my first hunt. Any suggestions/guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory

Re: New Utah Hunter Questions...

There are a few options for you try. If I were you I would pick a deer hunting unit near where you live: http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/pdf/2012_unit_map.pdf, put in for a rifle deer tag in that unit during the draw. If you draw the tag, spend as much time in the area you selected as possible to get to know the area and where the deer are. There are several decent areas near Salt Lake if you do a little research. Then if you don't draw a deer tag, buy an over the counter spike elk tag and go elk hunting. Again there are several good areas near you to do some elk hunting. The reason I say a spike tag is because most of the any bull regions are private land and there is better odds at harvesting a spike on a spike only unit than there is harvesting a bull on the any bull regions. Either way do your home work and you can have a decent fun hunt. This is just my opinion. Send me a PM and I could point you in pretty good direction for either hunt. I grew up hunting around SLC.

Good Luck

I went hunting in the Book Cliffs area and loved it. Awesome scenery and plentiful game. I passed on harvesting anything,,, but I saw plenty.

Cory, you picked a shitty year to start, they just changed everything up this year so everybody is gonna be scrambling to get what they want if they even can.
If I were you, I'd put in for the LE elk tag in one of the better areas, you wont get it, but you better start getting points. And then put in for the General season deer, all the areas like I mentioned are all broken up now, so you'll have to be pretty specific about where you are going to hunt. Honestly, anywhere you pick will probably be good, as I have seen very good deer in most parts of the state, anywhere south east of SL county would be a good place to start. As mentioned after the draw, you can just buy an OTC elk tag, spike or anybull. In my experience your odds are about the same, if you have a spike tag, you'll see bigger bulls, if you have an anybull tag, you'll see spikes. But at least you can still shoot him
wink.gif

Next time we are up at Eric's, I'd be happy to give you some advise on where to go and what to do. Eric is also a wealth of knowledge on what and where to go.

Thanks for the advice gents. I guess you can put in for your top 5 regions, so I put it for 17A/B/C and 1 and 4/5/6, and something else.

I plan on buying a spike elk tag too even if I draw for a buck. I've heard arguments both ways but do you guys think a .260 would work for an elk?

James shot his elk last year with his 260 140 amax and it went right down. I wouldn't hesitate to use it with your skillz!
Good luck..I live for hunting season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNAGLYTOOTH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live for hunting season. </div></div> words to live by.

Hey Cory.

I would also add, consider a cow elk tag. It will more than likely take at least one preferance point, but you should be able to get on one when you do draw. There are plenty in the Wasatch.

Sure miss shootin' with you guys.

-c