• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Versa-Pod vs. Harris

Will Fennell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys,
I'm trying different bipods. The first VERSA-POD I tried was floppy, and generally not confidence inspiring. After trying the SAKO bipod for my TRG, and then a swivel, leg notch Harris with a Pod Lok. I like the ability to lock the cant on the Harris, and while I'm still note thrilled on some aspects of the Harris, I settled on it.

Then, a few weeks ago, I got the chance to shoot a Tubb gun, and it had the Versa-Pod #52 with friction locks for cant and pan/tilt. I really like how easy it is to take the bipod on/off the gun. I like how easy it is to stow/depoly. The notched leg extensions are spring loaded, making them easy to adjust.

But, I have noticed that I don't see many Versa-Pods on rifles here on the 'Hide. So what am I missing. Is there a problem with the Versa-Pod that I don't know about? TIA

Re: New Versa-Pod vs. Harris

Personal preference. I think Versa Pod got the rep from people using the older one like you did and not liking it but I have heard the newer ones are nicer. I have always used Harris and they do what I need. I have the BRM-S with Pod Locs on my rifles. Maybe I'll try a Versa Pod on the next one.

I have one of the first one and still like it but now it is on my 10/22T. Like you said it is floppy and after using something that locks it is hard to go back. I am seriously thinking about getting a new versa pod or an atlas. Havent decided which one yet.

I once had an early model Versa-Pod before I knew better. It was a Chinese made POS built out of pot metal and broke after a month of reasonably hard use. No more for me. It might have been ok for use on a range queen, but it wasn't at all suitable for real-world conditions.

I don't know if the new model is built from the same crap just with more features, or have they REALLY improved it?

This is worthless without pictures...

160-052-all-steel.jpg

I do like the #71. Need one for my GAP/AI...
150-071.jpg

I have the newer Versa Pod w/ the locks, and IMHO, it's much better than the Harris I had; I bought the Harris first, and didn't llike it much - this Versa is so quick and easy to adjust and especially remove between my rifles...

Just get a Rock Sopmod in the group buy section VERY good bipod that has all the features of the others and seems very durable.

Just got a Versapod last week. It is a short version (5-7" maybe). Anyway, it was supposed to come with an adaptor that attached to sling stud. When it arrived, it had an Anschultz (sp?) rail adaptor. Had it incorrectly been shipped with a Freeland rail adaptor, I could have used it.

Since the package came in plastic and in a triangular cardboard box (from versapod)that appeared to have never been opened, I called Versapod since it apparantly left there factory that way. Their CS person told me that it was "impossible" that it was shipped from them that way and that the dealer (Natchez SS) has to have removed/swapped the adaptor. He told me that that had been happening alot lately. Long story short, it cost be about $35 more to get what should have been included.

Haven't used the thing yet and, though it appears well built, I will NOT purchase another one based on their lack of concern over shipping/selling incorrect merchandise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are the versa pod still made in china ?</div></div>

The "customer service" jerk told me that they were made in Canada.

i like the new versa coz of the dual lock option..locks the leg and the tilting part...im thinking about buying harris HBR-S but i dont see any advantage, i only shoot on the ground and i think its much easier and simplier to lock versa than harris

I have one of the newer ones with the 3 different sets of feet. I sold all my harris' pods after a few months. Versapod is fantastic.

If its floppy, tighten the nut on the side. Mine adjusts from completely unmovable, to limp donkey dick. And the raptor feet are a must have item.

microsuck,

Can you give a link to the particular model you are using?

Are you able to tighten/loosen the tension by hand without needing tools (like vise-grips
wink.gif
)?

TIA,

Monte

I'll say this. I shot a Verspod a couple weeks ago and was amazed. I didn't ever think the difference in bipods made much of a shit, but there was a noticeable difference.

I didn't shoot it long enough to really dissect it, but the feet really dug in when you loaded it. I was shooting prone on a concrete slab, and where my Harris would roll forward if I tried to load it, the Versa really dug in like it had Velcro on the feet.

I'll be trying one out to say the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> no topl neces. </div></div>

Again, in English?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPERS4DUMMIES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone with experience under the Bobro pod?
the newest release-Type 3 sounds promising

linky for those who need it:
http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/1/ </div></div>

The Bobro may be a good bipod, but I think it is way too high profile, in contrast to their claims that it is low profile. The thing looks like those imperial walkers from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. If you are gonna drop 200 beans on a bipod, go with the Atlas. There are much more testimonies to its superiority over the Harris. It is low profile, has less moving parts and has 4 positions of adjustment while being simple to operate. You cannot go wrong with the Atlas, unless you dropped cash you needed for your heating bill on one.

for the guys with the newer versa-pods... how bout some up close pics of the clamping mechanisms. the interwebs are lacking good photos

Hello all. I'm new to Sniper's Hide. I have been researching Harris, Versa-Pod,and other bipods recently (July 2010). I found the following at http://versapod.com/ :

<span style="font-style: italic">Company Quickfacts

Versa-Pod Manufacturing’s parent company, Keng’s Firearms Specialty, Inc. (KFS) was established by David Keng in August of 1985 with its original headquarters in Riverdale, Georgia. Da Keng assumed responsibilities as President in 1988 and maintains this role today.

In 1990, KFS relocated from Riverdale, GA to its location on the western fringe of Atlanta. The company was housed in a freestanding 20,000 sq. ft. facility that serves as its base for its manufacturing and warehousing operations.

Presently, Versa-Pod Manufacturing occupies the original KFS building and conducts manufacturing, testing, research and development, assembly, warehousing and distribution.

During the first quarter-century, the company was primarily involved in importing from abroad. In order to gain better control over manufacturing and meet the Federal Government’s “Buy American” goals, we have brought our manufacturing to Atlanta, GA. Versa-Pod® has made the commitment to start its own US-based manufacturing operations beginning in 2010. With the new Versa-Pod® Bipod product lines offered to the US and Allied Governments, demand for the bipods has taken off rapidly. Our newly installed manufacturing facility provides us with direct oversight of quality control, the production of custom designed products and the ability to tackle accelerated production schedules. Having nearly 40 CNC and manual metal machining centers, we are well equipped to add new product lines at any time.</span>

I also called the company and spoke with one of their CS reps. She seemed very helpful and offered to substitute the "Free Float Tube Adapter" for the universal adapter for the price difference between the two; she also offered to knock a little off the shipping as well.

While I don't have experience with any of the bipods in question, I thought some folks might be interested in Versa-Pods change in manufacturing and my (albeit brief) experience with their customer service.

Also, their web site has plenty of pics and information.

By the way, I am in No Way associated with any of the firms mentioned, including Versa-Pod; just offering up some additional info.