• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New version Remington M40, what's it worth?

balkandom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
NW Arkansas
Hey folks,

I found one of these that a gentleman is selling. It's NIB, all the papers and so on, what is a reasonable price to pay? He want's $1600, that seems a bit steep.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Mike

Re: New version Remingtom M40, what's it worth?

Are you talking about the Remington M40 commemorative. They were about $1300 in 2006, limited run. That is about the going rate for one if not more. Considering it is made by Remington and if it has the certificate and everything then I would jump on it. If it was on the open market I am sure it would not last long at that price.

You can still make one much cheaper, but it will be a build gun, and the parts are getting scarce. Just depends on how authentic you want it.

Thank you, your input is invaluable. It's the commemorative.

Regards,

Mike

Actually, $1600 is what I would consider just "OK". Probably 6 or 7 years ago you could find them at Gunshows all day long for $800-$900. They got crazy for a few years in between when you could expect to pay as much as $2500 for one (that's when I sold mine). But in the last year or two I've seen them bring as little as $1300, which is still respectable, but I wouldn't "jump" on one for $1600. There should also be a Scout Sniper Association (SSA) Coin in there with it, along with paperwork and a green M40 cardboard sleeve on the box. It's a good rifle. I found a 3x9 Redfield Accu-Range scope for mine and I believe Badger Ordinance makes a very nice Base/Ring combination that looks correct.

I'd say if you have a personal connection to the Corps or Scout Snipers or you're into "Collectibles" or nostalgia... Go for it! ...I wish I still had mine.

I've also had a "Built" one and the built one cost considerably more. FWIW...

Re: New version Remington M40, what's it worth?

I have watched the M40s come and go on GunBroker for years. NIB at that price would sell quickly. I would seriously consider grabbing it.