• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Fury 5000 Range Finding Binos with Applied Ballistics

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
These will pair with Kestrel and Garmin devices. Full AB Engine. Full sensor suite (compass, inclination/declination, temp, pressure....)

1610044450118.png

1610044462666.png

Last edited:
Also shows it can do wind, is this part of the laser technology and included in the ballistic solver?

Also, will Vortex keep the solution displayed for more than 2 seconds like my Leica 2800.com, drives me nuts that the solution only displays for such a short time.

Paired with Kestrel or a manual input. It will capture DOF.
Direction Of Fire would be part of the internal compass, but for wind values, is it simply pulling wind from a linked Kestrel or is it actually using the laser to determine wind downrange?

Direction Of Fire would be part of the internal compass, but for wind values, is it simply pulling wind from a linked Kestrel or is it actually using the laser to determine wind downrange?
At that price point the laser is definitely not giving you wind speed. If you look at their videos/how to, they explain 2 of the options for wind. One pulls from kestrel and the other is a user entry/guesstimate of wind or the standard 5mph and 10mph crosswind.

Reactions: jafo96 and Secant
At that price point the laser is definitely not giving you wind speed. If you look at their videos/how to, they explain 2 of the options for wind. One pulls from kestrel and the other is a user entry/guesstimate of wind or the standard 5mph and 10mph crosswind.
Watching the videos probably would help :censored:

Reactions: jafo96
It is the size of the reticle ;). This is by design.
So is the beam divergence 1.77 mrad ?

If it is 1.77, that puts it behind the sig kilo (1.5x0.6 mrad) and the terrapin x (1.2x0.5 mrad). Seems like beam divergence would be an important spec to include. Most sub $500 LRF can range large objects at great distance but fail to range small targets accurately and at distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigamortis
Is the beam 850nm or 1550nm? Can’t find any info on it.

Also, how could a laser possibly be used to measure wind speed? I can’t envision any way that would work, regardless of expense.

Also, how could a laser possibly be used to measure wind speed? I can’t envision any way that would work, regardless of expense.
I can’t find the latest patents but the idea has been around for a while

I suppose I jumped the gun a bit when I saw the wind readout in the display

Google LIDAR.
The technology has been around for the military and trickling down to the civilian market:

Pulling wind from the kestrel or a manual input via wind buttons on top to increase/decrease values

How does the glass on these compare to the Kilo 3000? About the same? Slightly better? Way better?
Vortex Viper and Fury line have a blue tint, Razor HD and UHD tend to be more neutral, Sig also has the blue tint and I have not heard of any of their bino's not having the blue tint. Leica is more "warm", my eyes definitely have a preference for warm to neutral and optics with blue tint bother me. Someone posted that Vortex has confirmed they did not change the glass from the regular Fury HD 5000 so I am assuming these have the same blue tint.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Would love to see this tech - AB and BT make it's way into the RAZOR HD 4000 monocular, I would sell my Leica for that.

So, I'm a novice at portable ballistic calculators and input devices....really, have just used on-line calculators and made up try dope cards from the result.

For this bino/Kestrel combo....where do you do the data entry? Not for environmentals which I understand comes from the Kestrel or the range which is determined by the binos...but the rest of it. Muzzle volocity, BC, whatever?

I have been looking at this subject with some good degree of confusion and it seems to me (so far and yes, I'm an idiot on the subject) that data entry/screen display are limiting factors of Kestrel's themselves (and binos) and a preferred approach would be linking to an calc app on your phone for range/enviros and preserving the easier data entry/display of a phone app.

Am I way off base on this?

You can create profiles in the Kestrel itself. You can also create a profile on your phone and then push it to the Kestrel via BT. Then basically the workflow is: the Bino's range the target, that range is pushed to the kestrel via BT, then the firing solution is pushed back to the Bino from the kestrel via BT.

So, I'm a novice at portable ballistic calculators and input devices....really, have just used on-line calculators and made up try dope cards from the result.

For this bino/Kestrel combo....where do you do the data entry? Not for environmentals which I understand comes from the Kestrel or the range which is determined by the binos...but the rest of it. Muzzle volocity, BC, whatever?

I have been looking at this subject with some good degree of confusion and it seems to me (so far and yes, I'm an idiot on the subject) that data entry/screen display are limiting factors of Kestrel's themselves (and binos) and a preferred approach would be linking to an calc app on your phone for range/enviros and preserving the easier data entry/display of a phone app.

Your questions can be answered by pulling up a user manual for whatever unit you are looking into. Nothing complicated with adding the information to a kestrel, sig kilo or vortex fury. You enter information for your rifles via the apps for each system and then that transfers to the kestrel or LRF. Once that’s done you range and get a solution. The solution is only as good as the data you enter.

Here’s a link to where you can find the manual and videos on how to use/setup the vortex fury:

Reactions: Baron23
Your questions can be answered by pulling up a user manual for whatever unit you are looking into
You are absolutely correct that there is much more independent research I need to do....and yes, I'm most often a proponent of RTFM.

Last edited:
You can create profiles in the Kestrel itself. You can also create a profile on your phone and then push it to the Kestrel via BT. Then basically the workflow is: the Bino's range the target, that range is pushed to the kestrel via BT, then the firing solution is pushed back to the Bino from the kestrel via BT.
You can also create profiles on our Fury AB app and push them to the bino and use the bino standalone because the bino has a built in sensor suite.
Feel free to let Doc or I know if you have any other questions.
All the Best
Scott

The Fury AB's will also work this way. You can also activate the laser from the app.

Best Regards
Scott

Reactions: jafo96 and Baron23
I would like to share a feature and to answer a question I have seen a couple times. With the Vortex Fury 5000 AB Binos you have the ability to choose where you get the firing solution from. So if you pair them to a Garmin or Kestrel then you can choose to run the solution from the paired device, or you can choose to run the solution internally in the Binos. Just make sure you go through the settings in the app.
Screenshot_20210108-122147_Vortex FURY HD.jpg

You can pick up the apps here:

I got mine on order from Liberty Optics. This is what I have been waiting for in a LRF Bino. Anybody wanna buy my Sig Kilo 3000s?
Did you call in to order? I am only seeing the older model on the website.

I burned a 50% Off Certificate on one of these today, psyched, Vortex said a few months wait.

FWIW - I have it on good authority that Vortex is trying to move production of a lot of its lines out of China and this includes the Fury. Kudo's to Vortex for taking the initiative, I can't imagine this is either cheap or easy to do.

Reactions: enginerd and J-Ham
Does anyone know if these new Fury 5000’s with AB will work with the Kestrel 5700 with Hornady 4DOF? I realize I’m crossing calculators here, but it would be nice if it would at least send a range over to my other device.

I would like to share a feature and to answer a question I have seen a couple times. With the Vortex Fury 5000 AB Binos you have the ability to choose where you get the firing solution from. So if you pair them to a Garmin or Kestrel then you can choose to run the solution from the paired device, or you can choose to run the solution internally in the Binos. Just make sure you go through the settings in the app.
View attachment 7523164

Just wanted to clarify what Doc said. The Fury's pair to the Garmin but you can not see the Garmin's solution in the Fury's display. This is only available for Kestrel 5700 Elites with AB onboard.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Does anyone know if these new Fury 5000’s with AB will work with the Kestrel 5700 with Hornady 4DOF? I realize I’m crossing calculators here, but it would be nice if it would at least send a range over to my other device.

The Fury AB's will only work with a 4DOF Kestrel in Weather Mode. The Kestrel can pass it's Environmental Data to the Fury but the Fury will not pass anything to the Kestrel. In other words, it will pair just like the Fury AB pairs with Kestrel 5500's.

Vortex built up a large stock and continues to build stock on these, so that when they hit the shelves they will have some presence. They are going to be distributed very soon, so I wouldn't think a couple months wait.

Just wanted to clarify what Doc said. The Fury's pair to the Garmin but you can not see the Garmin's solution in the Fury's display. This is only available for Kestrel 5700 Elites with AB onboard.
Not sure how you are interpreting what Doc mentioned as far as Garmin/Kestrel connectivity.
Your statement seems incorrect as he states that the binos CAN pull the solution two ways “ you have the ability to choose where you get the firing solution from” . One is with the internal solver and the second option is from info that the Kestrel/Garmin provide.

I’m interested in the idea of this and want to fully understand so bear with my ignorance. Do these factor wind similar to the way a kestrel does when you face the wind then face the target?

And If I, who only has a basic kestrel that can tell me density altitude and wind speed, and type those into my applied ballistics app on my phone, be able to get nearly everything I need from the binos short of wind speed?

Thanks and sorry for the oddly worded questions. This is seriously appealing to me since I don’t have a nice 5700 AB link kestrel yet and was about to buy a pair of fury’s anyways

I believe and I hope the way it works is you could set up the Kestrel on a weather vane mount, set it to capture live wind end environmentals, then use the Fury 5000 to feed the Kestrel range and DOF (Direction of fire) then the Kestrel will send the solution back to the Fury. Or the Kestrel could just send the wind speed and wind direction to the Fury.