• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New vortex razor lh 30mm tube?

There’s the rokslide link.

@koshkin had said there was a 30mm tube Razor LH coming. One of those pictures on the rokslide link is mine that i grabbed from INstagram.

@koshkin had said there was a 30mm tube Razor LH coming. One of those pictures on the rokslide link is mine that i grabbed from INstagram.

The guy from Vortex said it. I just repeated it. I have not seen these yet, but I am really looking forward to them.

I have two of the original 1.5-8x32 HD LH scopes and I couldn't be happier with them.

ILya

Reactions: CSTactical
I have two of the original 1.5-8x32 HD LH scopes and I couldn't be happier with them.

ILya

I have that one, the 2-10 and 3-15...all are solid, especially for the prices the past year or so. I would be very interested in an updated model.

Love the 1.5-8x. Got it on a 30-30 and it's great. Put a 2-10 LH on a bolt action .22. Both great little scopes.

Damn I hope it has turrets like the razor gen 2

Damn that would make my dream hunting scope.
What would make it better than the VX-5HD? I like my Razor HD LR but doesnt have illumination.
The Leupold is slightly heavier but does have illumination, slightly better fov, and locking/exposed turrets. I havent gotten behind a VX-5 but they seem to get decent reviews.

What would make it better than the VX-5HD? I like my Razor HD LR but doesnt have illumination.
The Leupold is slightly heavier but does have illumination, slightly better fov, and locking/exposed turrets. I havent gotten behind a VX-5 but they seem to get decent reviews.
I could give a crap about illumination as long as its SFP which I also prefer on a hunting scope. I hope these new Razors are SFP.

I am with you as far as illumination goes on FFP scopes. It is a must on any scope that has a use beyond target shooting.

Interesting to see. I run several razor lh scopes, but a 30mm tube and locking turrets would be an improvement for some applications. Really hate they did away with the g4 reticle. I love aiming with that little dot. Gonna have to come out with something other than the hsr4 for me to buy one.

It may well not be. I'll admit to not having any experience with the VX-5. I'm somewhat of a vortex fanboy, but own plenty of older leupys that have all served me well. Hope they keep the weight down on this.

I run a vx6 hd on one of my rifles. Honestly I wouldn’t change a thing about for a hunting scope. I love the internal level. Some options I seldom use, but I like knowing they are available.

I was at the range yesterday zeroing a rifle that has a VX6HD. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get it zeroed, and then I struck me…the reticle is in MOA. D’oh! My other scopes (that I’m keeping, anyway) are all MRAD.

Just checked Leupold and couldn’t find a VX6HD in mils, but I did find a single VX5HD model that has a mil option. It was the VX5HD 3-15x44mm and it has a simple hash mil.

However, their Custom Shop can install a wide variety of reticles, turrets, finishes etc, but since late Dec the Custom Shop been closed for a reorg. I lean Vortex, but it’s a bit concerning, as they did offer lots of services that other scope manufacturers did not.

There was a special run of mil mil vx6 I saw somewhere a while back. Maybe optics planet.

There was a special run of mil mil vx6 I saw somewhere a while back. Maybe optics planet.
There is one metric option that scopelist and eurooptic sells. it is the 3-18x50 with firedot fine duplex and mil turrets. I saw it on sale for 1100 yesterday and almost broke my wrist clicking the add to cart button so fast. Model number is 175835

Last edited:
Interesting, guys. Thx for the Leupold/mrad info.

Digging around some more I found a vx freedom 3-9x40 with a firedot tri-mil reticle (hint: goto Leupold’s reticle page and each reticle has a list of scopes it was offered on, sans special runs).

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-3-9x40-ar-firedot-30mm and here’s a link directly to the reticle, as they don’t have a pic up: https://cdnp.leupold.com/content/documents/illum.firedottri-mil.pdf?mtime=20191028071857

I think the vx freedom = the old vx-2 line. That firedot tri-mil is cool, even though I prefer xmas trees (but maybe not in a 3-9).

Back to reg sch vortex programming

I have confirmation on the 30mm razor Lh and will have one for testing in 30 days or so from Vortex.

I’m currently running VX5 or VX6 on hunting rifles. Big fan of the CDS and the Duplex reticle. Kills on game out to 700 yards no problem. I personally see no need to have a messy reticle on a hunting rifle with modern range finders and the cds.

Have many Razor HD’s, Vipers etc. on other rifles and and happy with them.

I hope duplex is available on the new Razor LH!!

I have confirmation on the 30mm razor Lh and will have one for testing in 30 days or so from Vortex.

I’m currently running VX5 or VX6 on hunting rifles. Big fan of the CDS and the Duplex reticle. Kills on game out to 700 yards no problem. I personally see no need to have a messy reticle on a hunting rifle with modern range finders and the cds.

You might feel differently if you were using a .204 shooting tiny prairie dogs that play whack-a-mole, randomly appearing (and very quickly, I might add) 200-500 yards away. In the windstorm that is North/South Dakota/Wyoming.

I find there is no time to dial. Barely time to range before they disappear or move (ranging binos cut the time to shoot by about 1/3 compared to a separate rangefinder).

I know there are people that dial, but you sure miss a lot of shots being that deliberate in PD towns. But, I get it, everybody is different, and some like it slow. And different scopes for different tasks.

Maybe a person can spot/range with binos (don’t have ranging binos? Go back to start), dial at Mach 5, refind the little bugger in the scope and shoot; not me. It’s the re-finding of the target that sux and slows you down.

Last edited:

not me. Give me a good reticle and I wont ever use my turrets

It better hold a candle to the LRHS/LRTS 3-12. IMO, those Bushnell offerings are the benchmark for the hunting scope that can hold its own in the shooter-hunter-LR world.

It better hold a candle to the LRHS/LRTS 3-12. IMO, those Bushnell offerings are the benchmark for the hunting scope that can hold its own in the shooter-hunter-LR world.

Agree here. So far I haven’t seen anything at any price point that beats the 3-12 LRHS.

TT 3-15M obviously performs better but at larger size and weight. Reticles not as good as LRHS for hunting either.

March 3-24 is lighter but doesn’t have as useable of a reticle at 3x which is where I’m at most of time.

Reactions: Kbh
The LRHS 3-12 has been a staple on my on my 35whelen, and the LRHSi 4.5-18 has never been off my 6.5prc. Both are absolutely fantastic. All that being said, I'm anxious to see how a new razor lh would stack up.

The LRHS 3-12 has been a staple on my on my 35whelen, and the LRHSi 4.5-18 has never been off my 6.5prc. Both are absolutely fantastic. All that being said, I'm anxious to see how a new razor lh would stack up.

Agree. There are some minor changes/improvements to the LRHS that could make it even better. Off the top of my head:

-Throw lever from the factory like the LRTS line shipped with
- 100 spline elevation knob like the LRHS got near the end of its time. Original batches would reset off .1 mil.
- Tool-less reset for the elevation knob

Anything else I'm missing?

It will be very interesting to see what reticles Vortex offers. The G2H (thanks @BigPrince) from the LRHS is just fantastic.

Last edited:
Any updates on adding illumination? I sold my HD LH for an Meopta Optika6 but the wait was to long so I went to NF SHV illuminated.

Agree here. So far I haven’t seen anything at any price point that beats the 3-12 LRHS.

TT 3-15M obviously performs better but at larger size and weight. Reticles not as good as LRHS for hunting either.

March 3-24 is lighter but doesn’t have as useable of a reticle at 3x which is where I’m at most of time.

The basic problem is that Bushnell discontinued the LRHS and the reticle with the donut. I liked the LRHS, so when I was working on the Meopta reticles, I added a donut to the 3-18x50 to help with 3x visibility.

TT315M reticle does get thin on 3x, but illuminaiton helps. Also TT now has the 3-15x50 Hunter model and that simpler reticle is quite good on 3x. It is expensive though.

March is busy with new scopes and new reticles. I am trying to convince them to make another crossover scope that would be even lighter, but we will see how it goes.

ILya

Reactions: BigPrince
The basic problem is that Bushnell discontinued the LRHS and the reticle with the donut. I liked the LRHS, so when I was working on the Meopta reticles, I added a donut to the 3-18x50 to help with 3x visibility.

the lack of donut is why I still have multiple LRHS and not any LRTS. Thank you for pushing for the donut.

the lack of donut is why I still have multiple LRHS and not any LRTS. Thank you for pushing for the donut.

The donut is a bit of a polarizing feature. Some people like it and some hate it with a passion. If I was designing a pure hunting reticle, there are other ways to do it I also like, but if I need to add a high visibility feature to an otherwise thin tree, the donut is a good way to go.

With March, their FML reticle in the 3-24x52 is actually a very decent hunting reticle. the center is a little thin for hunting but illumination really helps. The outer bars are tapered, so as you go down in magnification you end up with a reticle that is kinda like a tapered plex that really draws the eye to the center.

ILya

Reactions: Chasing3
speaking of the donut- i ordered an optika6 3-18x56 ffp mrad, because of the donut. In the pictures, I like the bushnell slightly better, but we will see when the scope shows up. (ordered 9/4/19, supposed to be at my house 2/21/20....)

I would like to see an optic that's a smaller scale razor amg, say a 4-16x44 with locking elev turret, covered windage. FFP would be great but I doubt that'll happen. I think they could do this in the 21-23oz area as a razor g weighs 28oz.
I would think it will be a SFP reticle to stay true to the LH hunting line. The AMG has the FFP covered. I hope I’m right on that.

Vortex listens to its shooters. This doesn't surprise me one bit. If/when this drops, i'll be buying a couple for sure.

Reactions: wade2big
I talked to vortex techs about this he didn’t know anything about it, but did say he usually doesn’t hear about new products till right before they are released. But at the same time he was telling me to hold out because he was highly suspecting something like a razor series scope similar to the vx5hd or 6vx6hd coming out.

Just noticed all of the Razor HD LH scopes have moved to the inactive part of their site. Seems like getting ready for a refresh.

Can't wait for one of these. I'm a fan of most things about the Leupold lineup for hunting use 2 of them now. I do think clarity is better with the same $ on the vortex but Leupolds are usually a few ounces less. And man Leupold is missing the boat on a mil-mil scope in the VX5 or VX6 line.

Reactions: beetroot
Can't wait for one of these. I'm a fan of most things about the Leupold lineup for hunting use 2 of them now. I do think clarity is better with the same $ on the vortex but Leupolds are usually a few ounces less. And man Leupold is missing the boat on a mil-mil scope in the VX5 or VX6 line.

They offer mil mil versions...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200302-210632_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200302-210632_Chrome.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 162