• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Viper PST II Eating Duracell CR2032 Batteries?

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    I took delivery from Sport Optics on the above scope at the end of March. The CR2032 in the scope was DOA. Replaced it with the spare that was included and the scope and the illuminated reticle worked. Yesterday I tried to use the illuminated reticle again. The 2nd battery was dead again. Replaced the 2nd one with a new Duracell Lithium CR2032 Lithium battery I just bought. Has anyone had the same problem with the supplied batteries or am I eventually going have to send it to Vortex if the Lithium battery also dies if this has been a problem in the past?

The bad news...... send it in. The good news...... best warranty/customer service in the industry! Unfortunate but it does happen. OR, you could live with it but that's not really a solution. More good news....... my experience is fastest turnaround time and they pay shipping both ways. Just get it done!

And, I have not had that issue with my PST Gen 1 or 2 but did have it with a Vortex Spitfire AR. Ended good for everybody!

I've owned at least 8 vortex scopes, that I can remember. I don't recall there ever being a battery already installed in the scope. IIRC, all batts in mine were in a little clear pouch and I had to put them in myself. Scopes never came with them already installed.

Any chance it was a refurb or demo or return?

Reactions: supercorndogs
    I've owned at least 8 vortex scopes, that I can remember. I don't recall there ever being a battery already installed in the scope. IIRC, all batts in mine were in a little clear pouch and I had to put them in myself. Scopes never came with them already installed.

Any chance it was a refurb or demo or return?

Are you turning the illumination off between uses?
    badger fan, I am turning the illumination off every time I use it.
    pineoak, come to think about it same here. I suppose it could have been a return or demo. Too late now to have Sport Optics send me another scope. If the new Duracell Lithium CR2032 dies I'll just have to send it to Vortex.
    Thanks guys for the replies. I'll update if the problem happens again.

Update. The New Lithium CR2032 battery just died after 3 weeks. Checked the illumination 2 days ago it was okay. Today it was dead. That's 3 dead batteries. I'm going to call Sport Optics and ask them if this was return. They will probably deny it. Guess it will have to go back to Vortex.

Last edited:
    Update. The New Lithium CR2023 battery just died after 3 weeks. Checked the illumination 2 days ago it was okay. Today it was dead. That's 3 dead batteries. I'm going to call Sport Optics and ask them if this was return. They will probably deny it. Guess it will have to go back to Vortex.
    Wouldn’t even waste time with sport optics. Vortex will fix you up!

As I expected Sport Optics bent themselves into a pretzel trying to discount that it was a used optic. Said somebody probably received it and didn't like it and sent it back. They couldn't explain the dead battery in the battery compartment and the additional one in the small plastic bag. But to their credit the are sending me a Vortex 30mm mount and a cap in compensation.
    Today I'm shipping the scope back to Vortex. Kathy @ Vortex said the turnaround should be about 2 weeks including the shipping time.