• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vudoo build. Mold me.

grapo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
I was lucky enough to recently pick up a cert for 600 dollars of a vudoo barreled action from a match I attended. I am about to order my first barreled action. After my initial research I am thinking 22" MTU bartlein nonthreaded with a gen 2 action, as all of my centerfires are 90 degree throws. Rifle will primarily be used for NRL22/PRS 22 type of matches. If any more experienced vudoo owners were currently in my shoes getting their first vudoo would you do anything differently? Looking for thoughts/opinions from people more experienced than I. Thanks

Reactions: littlepod
I went 20” MTU just recently because of their data that shows muzzle velocity doesn’t get any better with longer and actually got slower. I wanted 22” but decided to trust the numbers

Reactions: nikonNUT
I have the 22" MTU, threaded. I put an EC Tuner Gen 2 on it and it shoots lights out. Pretty much in the same hole at 50 yds. with Center-X. My favorite rifle to shoot.

I went 20” MTU just recently because of their data that shows muzzle velocity doesn’t get any better with longer and actually got slower. I wanted 22” but decided to trust the numbers
It's not about the velocity. It's about the balance.

There is also discussion about the longer length contributing to reduced extreme spread... and with rimfire PRS matches running to 400 yards or more now, reducing ES is a very good thing.

I too ordered 20" Kukri on my gen-1. Unless Vudoo's process has changed, that means they start with a 20" blank, slug it to find the tightest bore near the muzzle end, and cut it there. So mine ended up a bit over 19 inches. When I questioned the short length, Jill explained the process to me and said that if 20" delivered was what I wanted, they would replace the barrel.

The rifle was, and remains, Vudoo-accurate so I left it alone. But, in an MPA BA Comp chassis, it balances at middle of the mag well. It's butt-heavy. I've been kicking around the idea of a rebarrel or even a RimX... if I do, barrel will be 22" minimum and maybe 24, MTU profile. I've got a couple of buddies who have built RimXs with 24" Shilen ratchet barrels... I like.

Reactions: littlepod
I have the 20" MTU in a Grayboe Ridgeback stock. If I were to do it over I would go 22" MTU to get the balance a little further forward. Right now it balances JUST in front of the mag..

There's the balance point of my rifle right now. The more weight you get out at the muzzle, the more difference it has to the balance point. Same with removing weight from the rear. I replaced the bag rider with a 3D printed bag rider. The black arca nose at the front of my rifle is XLR's long nose extension which is 14oz which is really nice for balance. I'm currently in the process of removing those external weights, and getting a slightly thicker long nose extension ~26oz which will move the center of balance forward while reducing overall weight.

Alternatively if my barrel was 2" longer, that would've helped a lot too. All the meaty shoulder weight and thickness of the MTU doesn't move the balance as much as I would like for the weight cost.. I rather have something basically be .9" straight all the way to 24" if I could, which is similar to what a Kukri is, quick taper from 1.25 to .9 then small taper to .87"

1665967070309.png

I was lucky enough to recently pick up a cert for 600 dollars of a vudoo barreled action from a match I attended. I am about to order my first barreled action. After my initial research I am thinking 22" MTU bartlein nonthreaded with a gen 2 action, as all of my centerfires are 90 degree throws. Rifle will primarily be used for NRL22/PRS 22 type of matches. If any more experienced vudoo owners were currently in my shoes getting their first vudoo would you do anything differently? Looking for thoughts/opinions from people more experienced than I. Thanks

That’s exactly what my latest is but threaded 5/8-24. Great set up. Run with it. Great set up.

9A4AA028-EAB0-43F5-BCE2-1F2E28647F5B.jpeg

Reactions: MauroBrazil
I have the 20" MTU in a Grayboe Ridgeback stock. If I were to do it over I would go 22" MTU to get the balance a little further forward. Right now it balances JUST in front of the mag..
100% agree! Same set-up with a V1 EC tuner and (2) MDT weights it balances about 1.5" in front of the mag.
balance.jpg

I think the 22" barrel would be the sweet spot and let it balance perfectly on my Gray Ops plate.

Reactions: MauroBrazil
I would get a 24" kukri if I were to order one again. I like the balance better and not to have that much weight.

I would get it machined to have an ec tuner post Vudoo since they won't do the EC tuner machining.
Why? there are 8000 tuners out there there is zero reason to be stuck with EC.

I have an 18” Kukri and I wish I would have went 20” MTU.

I would also absolutely get it threaded you never know what you will end up doing with it.

I have an ATS on mine and it screws right in normal muzzle threads. Nothing special to machine.

The ATS mounts flush to the barrel and comes backwards where the EC mounts to the end , and after testing both, the EC outperformed the ATS on 2 of my rifles.

That Ok?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 51
Digging all the balance photos so I’ll add mine

MPA Comp Chassis
Competition Side Rails
Internal / External Weight Kit
22" MTU Barrel
EC Tuner

C4F4CD27-23F0-4CA2-98C2-35AB3145E100.jpeg

The ATS mounts flush to the barrel and comes backwards where the EC mounts to the end , and after testing both, the EC outperformed the ATS on 2 of my rifles.

That Ok?

I agree. I had an ATS tuner and I found that it didn't do as much tuning. Even the EC tuner, isn't as great as the Harrell's tuner, but it's better than the ATS.

Reactions: CBeck and Turbo2
When it comes to balancing your rifle, just comes down to how much weight you want it to be. My goal was to have a 16-17 lb balanced rifle. You could easily get something balanced at 20-22lbs by strapping a lot of weight to it.

Same as a lot of people.. I would have went with a longer barrel..I have a 20''.. I would have liked a 22'' MTU.. and like some other have said, you can make anything balance..just a matter of how much weight you want to throw around. I have an mpa ba comp, 20'' mtu.. I have the side rails on, weights in the side rails, and with the grayops plate w/ the brass weights she will balance pretty good. When i put my bag on a prop, it is better to have the bag's long profile, going left to right..vs front to back..It balances better that way.

I
It's not about the velocity. It's about the balance.

There is also discussion about the longer length contributing to reduced extreme spread... and with rimfire PRS matches running to 400 yards or more now, reducing ES is a very good thing.

I too ordered 20" Kukri on my gen-1. Unless Vudoo's process has changed, that means they start with a 20" blank, slug it to find the tightest bore near the muzzle end, and cut it there. So mine ended up a bit over 19 inches. When I questioned the short length, Jill explained the process to me and said that if 20" delivered was what I wanted, they would replace the barrel.

The rifle was, and remains, Vudoo-accurate so I left it alone. But, in an MPA BA Comp chassis, it balances at middle of the mag well. It's butt-heavy. I've been kicking around the idea of a rebarrel or even a RimX... if I do, barrel will be 22" minimum and maybe 24, MTU profile. I've got a couple of buddies who have built RimXs with 24" Shilen ratchet barrels... I like.
have a 24” Shilen ratchet threaded for an EC tuner and it hammers.