• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new weapon light

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
I hav me always used a Surefire 952 as my carbine light but I'm setting up a rifle for my dad and was wondering if their are better brighter options.
I have 2 , 952 both have the 125 lumen lamps. These lamps only give a run time of 20-30 min so I've been looking at the new LEDs. The Elzetta Bravo is rated for much light lumen outout but I'm wondering how they compair to the Surefire.
I've also had a couple people mention pentGon lights

have you looked at the surefire m600u scout light 500 lumens like 1.5 hours run time

You may wish to consider this Surefire light. I run it with a Tango-Down mount.

Sure-Fire P3X Fury Tactical Single-Output LED (EAG MODEL). I like the switchology. It is available from Bravo Company.

This works for me. YMMV.

Joe

Lumens can kind of be misleading. I have directly compared my 4Sevens 100 lumen light with some of my other high quality 500 and 600 lumen lights, and the difference was minimal. The XML emmiters have more flood than some of the other emmiters designed for throw, and the XMLs are very efficient and end up with really high Lumen numbers. My 4Sevens light is around 100 Lumens with regular AA, but with 4.3v Lithium cell, it goes to around 350. It utterly smokes my other 600 Lumen lights when tested at night in the woods, and will throw easily a couple hundred yards.

Go for a high quality maker and decide if you want it oriented towards 'throw' or 'flood'. Run the best cell you can and mostly disregard factory lumen claims, IMO. I really only look at Surefire, Elzetta, and Klarus for weapon mounted lights as they can take recoil continually.

I have a Fenix TK-15 Fenix TK15 LED Flashlight - Fenix Outfitters mounted on my PWS MK116 and have beat the hell out of it, it is more than 335 lumens brighter than my SF G2 on the TK-15's brightest setting. The G2 has one brightness setting and the Fenix has 4 not counting the strobe or SOS modes. The Fenix and SF are the same size and approx the same weight.

When running a handheld light mounted to a carbine, there are two functions that are desireable:
-Clicky tail cap if there is no pressure tape switch. A momentary only tail cap switch has several disadvantages.
-Single-output or programmable single-output setting so that when you activate your switch, only one output is emitted. You should have one click or press for ON, one click or a release of pressure for OFF. You do not want to be cycling through illumination modes while you're attempting to engage a target or when you want to deactivate to do a manipulation like immediate action malfunction clearance or a mag change.

Variable output lights have a place, but some of these lights have gone beyond the level of absurdity with 5 or 10 different functions. The KISS concept applies to WMLs.

Just change the heads out on your 952's with the TNVC TX-4 LED conversion head and poof 600 lumens... And for around $120 I think. TNVC makes quality stuff and has superb customer service.

Last edited:
This is all you need small, light, operates off 1 123 battery and has high, low, and strobe feature with an AD guard. 200 lumens and a 1.5hr run time on high. Also the price is great compared to a Surefire at just $150

14n0pih.jpg

This is all you need small, light, operates off 1 123 battery and has high, low, and strobe feature with an AD guard. 200 lumens and a 1.5hr run time on high. Also the price is great compared to a Surefire at just $150

14n0pih.jpg
Where can I find one of these?

You should have one click or press for ON, one click or a release of pressure for OFF. You do not want to be cycling through illumination modes while you're attempting to engage a target or when you want to deactivate to do a manipulation like immediate action malfunction clearance or a mag change.

Variable output lights have a place, but some of these lights have gone beyond the level of absurdity with 5 or 10 different functions. The KISS concept applies to WMLs.

This is very good advice and part of why I love my Fenix, the mode button is seperate from the tailcap switch so you set the light to the intensity you want and turn it off, when you hit the tailswitch the light comes on at your last setting. Fenix makes a tape switch that you can screw on in place of the tailcap switch but I am not fond of those for several reasons.

I have and use a Surefire X300 Ultra that is 500 lumens with thier tape switch that has a momentary and off/on button. The light has a good throw it's well built and easy to chnge out the batteries on unlike my Stream light TLR 2 that is on my duty gun. It's a hell of a light but I don't know if its what your looking for.