• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New weapons are fun!

rudolph121

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
Colorado
Hey looking for some input on getting a new AR. I was looking at getting either a Sig516 or the DPMS LRT SASS. I like long rifles, but short rifles are fun also. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New weapons are fun!

Well i have a budget of about $1700.00 give or take. I have experience shooting thanks to the U.S. Tax payer. I am currently in school and the wife said I could spend more money when I graduate and get a top line AR platform. Any who, as for use... Mostly just shooting at the range and home defense, if I got the .308 I would probably use it for elk and buffalo hunting. The Wife really likes the SIG and ammo is cheaper (college student) but I also like shooting long range. Ya I know Inogame, I am worse than a woman in a shoe store!

cmmg bargain bin M4, with the extra money put a Countersniper Scope on it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxtrot_one</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey looking for some input on getting a new AR. I was looking at getting either a Sig516 or the DPMS LRT SASS. I like long rifles, but short rifles are fun also. Any input would be greatly appreciated. </div></div>
I am tired of newbs coming on here with a what should I buy.
Don't buy a new gun since you don't know what you want. Don't buy a rifle at all because then we have 100 new posts on what lasers and optics along with what color of kryon should I buy. "I like Long rifle" "Short rifles are fun also" Make up your mind on what you want not what other people tell you to buy. Remember the Italian Job where he only purchased what everyone else wanted because he had no vision or thoughts of his own. That movie sums up the average new person post in this section. Sorry for complaining but the view just never changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to jump in before ORD does,
Please use this search function to read up on the models you are interested in:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en
</div></div>

Damn...am I really THAT bad about suggesting people read before they post?!?!
wink.gif

To the OP...the search engine for the Hide is a good place to begin with any question like the one you have asked. The search engine is hot-linked in my sig line below.

Also, given the nature of your question, you may be better off to consult the braintrust on ARFCOM instead of here.

Ok let me restate the question at hand. I am looking at purchasing either the SIG516 or the DPMS LRT SASS, any additional information i.e. reviews experience would be greatly appreciated. I do not need someone telling me what I need to purchases. It is called an "educated decision", its rather simple actually. Collect data, look over the data, then execute. By my asking for information "Strangedays" I was not implying that you tell me what I do and do not need, but rather asking for information.
To everyone else thank you very much for your help and the information you have provided me with. Cheers!

ok I will actually try and be helpful. Seriously my advice is a CMMG Bargain bin rifle, they are great guns, dont be deterred by "bargain bin". for the price you are saving you have money for boolits and or optics if you wanna go that route. Theres no need to spend 1700 bucks on some razzle dazzle AR that you have no clue what you really want yet anyway, over some time that CMMG will be the foundation to upgrade on. jus sayin.......

damn, can here the shovel scraping bedrock that grave is bein dug so deep

Sorry I do not like people jumping others for asking question. It has been my experience that if you do not know something you should ask a question. If you do not ask the question it could get you or others killed. Plus I am good a digging holes spent most of my life doing it, I actually dig faster when getting shot at, go figure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxtrot_one</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok let me restate the question at hand. I am looking at purchasing either the SIG516 or the DPMS LRT SASS, any additional information i.e. reviews experience would be greatly appreciated. I do not need someone telling me what I need to purchases. It is called an "educated decision", its rather simple actually. Collect data, look over the data, then execute.</div></div>

Again...based on what you are looking for and your own methodology for decision-making...run a search and read the multitude of previous posts that will address your questions. Plenty of good information already available here on those platforms, particularly the LR-308/SASS. There is ZERO need to reinvent the wheel or waste bandwidth with yet another "This vs. That" thread (which do pop up here with alarming regularity these days and why strangedays said what he said to you. Had you read anything prior to posting or looked at some of the "This vs. That" threads, you'd have seen that these posts, especially when started by folks just getting started here, get reviewed with such harsh scrutiny). Also, as advised before, check out ARFCOM (and perhaps also M4Carbine.net). Those are THE AR-15 platform websites of record and will also provide you with a $#!T TON of information that you will find useful in answering your questions and helping you make an educated decision.

Here you go bro, I don't know why they still jump on guys with 2 or 3 posts KNOWING they probably don't have the proper search yet. There are some ways to get the normal hide engine to work better, but its like polishing a turd. Use this to track down information. Bookmark it and keep it.

http://www.google.com/cse/m?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&cref=&theme=DEFAULT

2nd I owned and sold an SASS, it was decent, heavy even for a .308 ar platform but that made the recoil even less noticable. People have had hit and miss experiences with them, mine was put together very well and could hold under moa shots with FGMM. Might want to consider a RRA or something else as well if you don't want to dump over $2500 on one. Do not discount a regular 5.56 ar though if you want to strech out. With some decent ammo you can reach out pretty well, and its cheaper to shoot as well. Just get some 77gr .223 from swammo here on the hide and you should be A-OK.

For what its worth, I now wish I would have just kept that rifle and slapped a 6.5CM barrel on it. But that's another story.

for reviews, try google search engin, there are plenty of reviews that members of this forum have on many rifles and long sticks, it is just you have to search for them. The search engine here is not the best, but this is a web based forum and forum posts will show up on both yahoo and google search enginges. just take time. my sugestion is stay away from brand names for the moment. just go by what you can afford for the purpose you want to use it for. AR-15 style rifles are not that difficult to produce. if you want to know however the Marines ( acording to Marine Times) will be moving to a interchangeable barreled scarr shootin both carbine or long gun.

Thank you ORD I checked the sites out, they were very useful. Well off to a rough start but a start non the less. I was having problems finding info on the SASS every where I looked I found info on the Sig but nothing on the DPMS. So I figured I would ask the AR community. Once again thanks for the info.

Have you thought about the Ruger sr 556. I shot one a couple weeks ago and man that thing is sweet. Very accurate, feels very solid and you get alot of extras for the money

Thats what some of my Marine friends have been telling me down range. The enemy has been engaging us a 500 plus meters and the standard 5.56 NATO is useless beyond that (my experience). The Military has been looking at developing more weapons platforms in 7.62. As for the marines they are pushing for better training (head shots) Their higher ups believe its not a stopping power problem but a bullet placement problem.

I forgot to mention that the Ruger SR 556 now comes in a 6.8 SPC version

If were talking about hitting steel and not killing people, the 5.56 is in no way useless past 500. Actually I was at a 1000yd tactical shoot last month where a guy shooting heavy .223 bergers in high wind was schooling most of the people at that match out to 1k. And also, you can reload seriously high quality .223 rounds fairly cheap + barrels that last a very long time and you wife won't be even slightly bothered by the recoil.

If your going to buy 55gr cheapo NATO ball ammo though, all of my previous statements are void.

No disrespect intended. I saw the train coming and figured I'd ask the gentleman to get off the tracks, lol.
I grabbed the link to the search off another one of your posts many moons ago and it has helped me alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to jump in before ORD does,
Please use this search function to read up on the models you are interested in:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en
</div></div>

Damn...am I really THAT bad about suggesting people read before they post?!?!
wink.gif

To the OP...the search engine for the Hide is a good place to begin with any question like the one you have asked. The search engine is hot-linked in my sig line below.

Also, given the nature of your question, you may be better off to consult the braintrust on ARFCOM instead of here. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No disrespect intended. I saw the train coming and figured I'd ask the gentleman to get off the tracks, lol.
I grabbed the link to the search off another one of your posts many moons ago and it has helped me alot.

</div></div>

I knew exactly where you were coming from...I was just messing around!
grin.gif

The search function really is an excellent tool and one that many folks overlook sometimes (new and even more senior members alike). The Hide is a varitable encyclopedia of incredible knowledge and experience...the search engine just makes it that much more accessible if you know what specifically you are looking for.

You need to figure out what you want to do with the rifle first, then go from there. Being in Colorado and wanting to use it to hunt big game, you're looking at a AR-10 or similar .308 platform. Keep in mind everything gets more expensive with this system, especially ammo, but they're worth it if long range performance on larger game is what you're looking for.

5.56 is great for varmit hunting, even at long range, and is much more cost effective. Being on a budget and in school, I would advise staying away from any of the other calibers unless you're reloading yourself as the cost considerably greater for ammunition.

Whatever AR you end up getting, focus on a getting or upgrading to a quality trigger and free floated barrel and it will be a shooter. Everything else can be baseline stock to keep the cost down, but don't go cheap on those.

Also, keep in mind the basis of Sniper's Hide is precision shooting. You'll get some info here and there on getting weapons for doing mag dumps for fun, but not really. Putting 200 rounds downrange in a single outing is a huge range session for most precision shooters, and a typical outing is <50 rounds just to build more data. We mostly fire one shot at a time, giving full and complete concentration to that shot to put it EXACTLY where we want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cmmg bargain bin M4, with the extra money put a Countersniper Scope on it </div></div>

+1

i've fired both guns.

both were accurate and functioned as any AR should.

i'm not a gas piston guy, but if i had to buy a factory gas piston AR, it would be the sig.

it feels 100% familiar and felt more balanced than the offerings from FN SCAR or the ACR.

the DPMS is a hog. i wouldn't want to carry further than from my truck to a bench.

if you're thinking about shooting long range and from a bench or off the deck, i'd go with the DPMS.

if you're planning on standing, sitting, running, jumping, or spinning on your head while shooting inside a couple hundred yards, go with the sig.

they make different guns for different purposes, and these two are very different.

Well I came up with a fire solution! I sold the wife and purchased both weapons! I am thinking a bull barrel 5.56 is the way to go. Gives me distance and accuracy with the cheaper ammo prices. I found some stuff at the CMMG Bargain bin and and a couple of other sites. I think building a cheaper platform and upgrading as I go would be the better option. Thanks for the help folks, cheers!

what!?! someone took MY advice? weird! think your making a good choice my friend

Go with the SASS. You wont be disappointed at all. I havent looked at another girl (gun) since.
[img:left]
IMG_4381.jpg
[/img]