• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Winchester Rimfire Cartridge

Re: New Winchester Rimfire Cartridge

it was posted before, but there was no name given to it at the time. thanks for the update.

i guess the pipe dream of a ballistic tipped 5mm rimfire being the new mystery caliber is gone.

I think this won't go far...though I have been wrong once or twice in my 55 years. (I remember predicting that the CD would never replace vinyl ;-)
It is 30% more powerful than my ,22WinMag.
But it follows that it will be 30% louder and carry that much farther.
Truth be told I bought the WMR to use when my .223 would be too loud or carry too far...at my acerage for example where I don't want to piss off the neighbors.
So the new round will make nearly as much noise as my .223...carry as far...and cost more (bulk .223 is 25% less than my WMR).
Nope...I don't really get the appeal.

Pushing the limits of the typical rimfire actions?

.27 parent casing bottled down to a .17 bullet, I guess if your state laws require a rimfire or you don't reload this might be for you? Looks interesting and is an entire new cartridge designed before an action to accept it.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/01/worlds-fastest-rimfire

I have a .17HMR barrel for my 455, after shooting a few rounds I don't see the advantages over .22WMR from a non-hunting standpoint. .223 is cheaper and can be loaded to a particular parameter if needed.

I struggle to understand the business case for developing an expensive rimfire cartridge. Rim fires are cheap to shoot, that's what makes em awesome.

I wonder what the cost is per box of 50? Im pretty happy with 17HMR as far as cost and power. If they can keep cost down it might do well. The 17HMR is well established so it might be a tough market to start out in. You can still find 17 on sale for $10 a box.

Our state does not allow centerfire rifle for small game season. I've been debating a .22wmr rifle for awhile. This is one more option I'm pleased to consider.

This seems to be made for those limited to rimfire cartridges, or those that want more bang, without the centerfire bang. I see the niche, but I don't know if it will fill it well.

why not just use a 17Hornady you can shoot factory or reload it is already available unless you are restricted to a misfire. it is funny here that some states allow any rimfire to be owned on a a class licence but others only allow 22 rimfire otherwise they are registered as cat b which is for centerfire and other larger caliber riflesso it would work for some but not others.

I just think it will be a waste of money. the other problem is it won't likely be adaptable to most rimfire actions and magazines like the HMR was allowing the market to grow.

I personally don't see the need in this new round, but I expect there are many who will welcome it with open arms, and thats ok.

.22S
.22L
.22LR
.22Mag

.17HM2
.17HMR
.17WSM

Interesting...
smile.gif

looks like savage is tooling up for a rifle http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/01/worlds-fastest-rimfire
...but the shot show is just around the corner, so maybe someone else is to unveil something there.

perhaps the 25 grain head and the advertised higher velocity than HMR might have been the thought process.

when you look at the photos, it appears there is a crimp

personnally, i think they should have ressurected the 5mm rimfire. the data is already there with minimum R&D.

I dont see the allure, supposed $15 a box ammo so many of the varmint centerfire calibers will be cheaper if youre a reloader. So basically if you dont reload this could be cool but if you do reload then theres really no benefit. I love my X-17 so I think I'll just pull out the 22-250 to play or the AR if I need more. Just seems goofy to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
personnally, i think they should have ressurected the 5mm rimfire. the data is already there with minimum R&D.

</div></div>

I think it's Aguila that makes Centurion 5mm now. I had a 591 that I picked up fairly cheap years ago thinking I'd someday do the 5mm Craig conversion for it. After trying the Centurion, I ended up selling the rifle. I'm not saying the rifle was at fault, but part of it was not knowing whether it's the rifle or crappy ammo. And I'm not paying over a buck a round to scrounge up some old Remington.

IF somebody else would step up to the plate, I might not have sold it. The gun rags said something about somebody bringing out a 5mm rifle again when the ammo was being introduced but I don't they ever did.

I tend to believe it was the ammo, but I didn't feel like taking another $300 plunge that maybe it would shoot better with the centerfire conversion. At $18 a box for Centurion, I felt like I'd rather just buy Eley for my .22. They will all certainly out shoot that 5mm at 50 yards. As a matter of fact most of my .22s like SK or Wolf so it's even cheaper.

It would be a neat one to just have to play with.

Must be geared towards fools like me because I will have one to go along with numerous 22's, 22 mag, and 17 hmr. Guilty as charged with the fools and their money comment. No such thing as too many toys.
I just read the article in Outdoor Life and can't wait for Savage to start producing them around mid April, according to article. I love my 17 hmr but might love this one even more.

I already told my distributor I want these and they are still going to be reasonable for being a new cartridge

There's something that I could see using this for and that's hunting in certain states.

For example:

SC DNR mandates rimfire ammo for small game hunting and hog hunting when big game is not in season. So, everyone down there uses 22mag because at short range it goes into pig ears and skulls better.

With a 25gr+ 17cal bullet going 2600fps that would be a "game changer" for that crowd.

Probably not the market that Winchester is basing the launch on. There are plenty of 25 caliber rimfires from yesteryear and you can't get ammo for them anymore. If they just made a run of that stuff and charged $20/50rd they'd sell it out immediately, I've seen guys digging through old bins at gun shows looking for single loaded rounds of 25cal RF ammo to pay $1-$2 EACH for them.

Wow, I can dig that! Now, to see who will start chambering rifles for it will be the next step.

The barrel is threaded like the centerfire rifles. If you burn it up get another.

One thing to add to the picture from SHOT is that it has a rotary clip like the 10/22, you just cant see it from that picture.

I hope Savage will come out with a mag like Ruger finally did.

Still not big enough for coyotes?
I guess you can shoot squirrels better? But with more noise? And more expensive? And as long as I'm just shooting squirrels and not worrying about noise it would be hard to beat the .204!

On the good side it goes bang when you pull the trigger and puts the smack on things, so I gotta like that.

I doubt I will have a need for something between a 17 hmr and a 22 K Hornet and if I did the 17 Hornady Hornet <span style="text-decoration: underline">might</span> look a little more interesting to me. I still wouldn't take it coyote hunting though.