• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New X-Ray Chassis from KRG-now shipping!

Massoud

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
Boise area, Idaho
www.krg-ops.com
Hello Gentlemen,

It's time to give a little more detail about our new X-Ray chassis. This is something that has been in the works for awhile now and hopefully will be ready to ship after SHOT. It is not intended as a replacement for the Whiskey-3, we're keeping that as our flagship chassis. This is an option for those looking for a lighter or more simple chassis. We're very excited about it and we think it will be a great option for that segment of the long range community.

The goal for this was simple, unprecedented value. Chassis can easily creep above $1k, especially the higher end ones like the Whiskey-3, and though you get a lot of value out of a high end chassis, $1k is still $1k. We took the backbone from the Whiskey-3 and mated it with a polymer forend and polymer buttstock. We kept the most important features of the Whiskey-3 like the tool-less adjustable cheekpiece, changeable grip size, and adjustable LOP. To make things a little more simple we went with a spacer system on the LOP but we were able to keep buttpad height adjustment.

Here's some basic info:
-Actions: Rem700SA first and T3 in SA calibers following shortly
-Fixed only
-3.1 lbs
-$549 intro price
-Comes with new cheekpiece design (not overmolded version)
-Takes AICS mags without additional floorplate
-Adjustable cheek, LOP (spacers), buttpad height, grip size
-Takes many of the W3 accessories and will have some of its own
-Planned availability is soon after SHOT
-Will be offered in other colors besides black, special runs at first, then maybe full time

Compared to the Whiskey-3:
-Uses same bedding system (backbone), trigger guard
-Polymer forend vs aluminum of W3C (less mounting options than W3C but less heat transfer)
-Buttstock is polymer and lacks the quick adjust LOP of the W3
-Lighter than W3C by 1.3lbs
-less costly than W3C fixed by $390 (intro price)
-Colored options besides black
-no provisions for side rail/sling mounts like W3C but does accept the Spigot Mount

Modularity: The X-Ray can take the Whiskey-3 buttstocks and vice versa, also the Whiskey-3 can take the X-ray forend and vice versa so it's a completely modular system. We will in the future offer the sub-components separately. (Forends, backbone, and all the buttstocks)

*Update on inlets: Unfortunately we were not able to put the Savage action in either side or bottom bolt release in the X-ray, nor were we able to fit the Howa. Sorry guys.

Below is a sneak peek, it is a rendering so don't read too much into it (i.e. the specific color). We will be updating this post with more info and better pics as the days go by. In the coming weeks and months you'll be seeing some reviews from respected reviewers, some saw it quite awhile ago as a prototype even.
Thank you and post below with questions or comments,
Justin

Pre-production versions at SHOT with some added accessories:

Last edited:
Sweet. Make one in savage 4.275 and you will take a sale from mcree. Not to mention its like $100 cheaper.

Great design. The specs and the price point look to be a winning combination for a large swath of the market. Additionally, at that price point there will be opportunities for OEM business and exclusive make ups... Looking forward to putting hands on at SHOT.

At half the price of a regular chassis I'll probably be in for two. I've been pondering what to put my two tikka varmints in and this looks to be the real deal.

If I remember correctly there was some modification to put a t3 in 223 in a W3, I'm assuming this is the same for this chassis?

Thanks guys, it was a lot of work, possibly more than the W3C due to the complexities of polymer, and there's still a lot of work left actually. Here's some answers to questions above:
-700LA version is an option but we're waiting to see the reception, it wouldn't come until 2nd quarter 2014 or later
-There will be no folder
-The Savage actions are too wide due to the side bolt release, we may be able to do a version for the bottom bolt release actions
-We will have pre-production units at SHOT, possibly full production units so stop on by booth 8408. It feels great in the hand and we think you'll like it.
-The T3 .223 mag mod needs to be done regardless of what chassis you use as the issue is with the mag cutout in the T3 action itself

That looks great. Lighter weight and polymer forend with similar ergonomics would pair nicely with a T3 Lite to match my Scout in a Whiskey!

I'd like to see some real pictures instead of solidworks designs but the concepts look good for the price point.

Is the rear of the chassis not cut to maintain structural strength?

Why no folder? Not a need or must have for me but would it not be as simple as making a cut and throwing a locking mechanism on, screwing it into the material (assuming it would hold the screw) and put it back together? I'm probably way off on this question but figured I'd ask.

I've always like the aesthetics of the W-3 from the for end to the grip, however on this X-ray I'm undecided at the moment, but it will likely grow on me. Nonetheless excited to see the finished product.

Looks great let me know when there available for the t3s been looking for something a bit lighter to still take hunting and having adjustablatly

I like it. The only thing I would like to see is flush cups, could you make it to use the Magpul flushcups? Looking forward to seeing pics of the complete project.

What colors are going to be initially available? If you make it in FDE you might talk me into one for my 308.

What would pricing look like with a W3 buttstock on an X-ray? Would the W3 folder work? Also, I second Wyfox on the flush cups.

I like it alot. This would be a great chassis for a lighter weight hunting rifle. Figure out how to get this made in a folder for back packing, and it would be perfect. Keep up the great work!

P.S. Another vote here for one in a Remington long action

I added a pic of some of the mount points in the original post. At the forend is a sling plate that has a mount point on each side plus the bottom. These points can be used for a QD cup or for an HK style snap hook. At the rear you can mount our QD Sling loop which is a QD cup mount and HK snap hook mount as well, or you can put the Magpul flush cup in the round cavity if you prefer. Of course you can still put sling studs on the bottom of the forend and buttstock and go old school.

We are testing pre-production stocks but don't want to put up real pictures until it is finalized, we'll get some up when the time comes.

Initial color will be black but soon after we'll have a run in Sako Green and some kind of FDE. It may be the traditional Magpul FDE or it may be something like what Mark Gordon had on a build that is darker and called Patriot Brown.

Regarding folders, it kind of goes against what we were going for here. Once you add properly designed latch and hinge mechanisms, the cost would increase significantly as would the weight. As usual, if there is great demand then we will consider it.

It's too early to say anything about individual pricing. Right now our focus is on complete chassis, although the first individual item we will get up on the site is the forend. It will bolt right onto a W3C and save 13oz.
Thanks guys,
Justin

Very nice, it seems this chassis has everything most of us want at a pricepoint that cant be beat. Id appreciate it if the first run of color is in magpul FDE as thats what my 300BLK and MP9 are cerakoted in and would like my bolt gun to match. Id be interested in a preorder as well when you do the color run.

I might have to try one of these. I've been wanting to go with a lighter stock recently and this would fit the bill. Currently I have a folding chassis, and I find that I don't use the feature very much. Often the additional width while folded can be just as inconvenient as the longer length of a fixed stock in most packs and cases. It could just be me though.

Fantastic, a nice inexpensive chassis option.
I predict those things are gonna sell like hotcakes.
The plastic "furniture" will be a lot nicer than aluminum during the winter, too.

Joe

Is the rear of the chassis not cut to maintain structural strength?

Why no folder? Not a need or must have for me but would it not be as simple as making a cut and throwing a locking mechanism on, screwing it into the material (assuming it would hold the screw) and put it back together? I'm probably way off on this question but figured I'd ask.

I've always like the aesthetics of the W-3 from the for end to the grip, however on this X-ray I'm undecided at the moment, but it will likely grow on me. Nonetheless excited to see the finished product.

All absolutley retarded questions
Why are you questioning the structural integrity? Do you know something they don't?

1. COSTS.... The whole point is a lower price point so its more affordable... Also, why would they cut into WC3 Sales..... only a moron would do that considering the Folding stock sells for around $800 alone.
2. He said its modular
3. Don't buy it...... At that price.... he wont be able to make them fast enough....... mark my words.

My WC3 Folder is the best stock I have ever felt or used.... I will be buying a few of these for my other rifles...

PLEASE make this work for Win70/SPR actions....

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear you guys are liking it so far. The rest of the crew are as well. Here's some more answers:

-We may do a pre-order but it would have to be closer to us having a somewhat firm date, and of course it would not be a pre-pay kind of deal
-For colors, Sako Green is coming for sure, or at least something as close as we can possibly get, the other one will depend on feedback from you fellas
-Not much hope for a T3 "long action", the issue is still how the magwell is set up and Tikka wont' be changing it anytime soon I don't forsee
-When guys ask, we usually recommend a fixed stock. Those who need folders tend to be sure that they need them or want them. With our cheekpiece, getting the bolt out is easy, with this one getting a cleaning rod in if you have the buttpad way up will take more time
-RE folders, part of the reason our stocks have such good ergonomics is that we split the load between two thinner spars (top and bottom) whereas something like an AICS has a single large spar. Our design makes the folding hardware more complex and we feel that the folding aspect is best left to the high end Whiskey-3. It's fair to ask about the folder as several of the lower cost chassis have a folding option but for the way we would want to do it, it doesn't make sense at this point.
-We'll be looking at the Win action as soon as we can, we like it too but I'm afraid the trigger will interfere.
-We're definitely looking forward to seeing you guys at SHOT, we're downstairs in the Tactical rooms, next to SilencerCo in 8408
Thanks guys keep the questions coming,
Justin

I know it was addressed earlier, I just want to be sure I understood correctly: This chassis will be able to use Flush Cups, correct?