• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New year new caliber.......

Schw15

Longrange
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Looking for a new cal to play with. We'll I guess cartridge to play with.
    Shooting is mostly 100 yards to 1760 80% of time and out to 2000 yards on occasion. Prolly do more out to 2000 yard shooting now. I have plans to visit rebel ridge 1 or 2 times a year to shoot to 2600 yards.
    My powder I've stocked up on is imr 8133 and it would have to use that because shortages ect. No bigger than 30 cal and .535 bolt face. My suppressor is only 30 cal and bolt is that and for my nucleus don't go any bigger. I currently do a lot of shooting with 7mm-300 win mag which is great. But I do want to get away from the belt for honestly no reason in just getting away from it for this barrel.

My thoughts are kind of -
    30 nosler
    300 rum
    7mm-300 wsm-7mm-270 wsm
    7lrm
    28 sherman
    7mm mega ( last 2 are questionable)
    I want to be able to buy brass so 300 prc is out.
    I'm not afraid of wildcats. Mag fed would be nice but not a must have.

30 cal I'd shoot 230 a-tips or 250 a-tips
    7mm 183 smk 197 smk 190 berger

What would you guys want to try or run?

30 Nosler and run solids

I don’t have any experience with this, it’s just what popped into my head.

Edit: like steelhead notes, run whatever you can get the better brass for

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ty21
    Why is 300PRC out due to brass?.... there has been drops lately...this week even...of Lapua 300PRC brass. You seem to be wanting to play in the wheel house of 300PRC. 1k-2k.

Why is 300PRC out due to brass?.... there has been drops lately...this week even...of Lapua 300PRC brass. You seem to be wanting to play in the wheel house of 300PRC. 1k-2k.

I just ordered some from Brunos.

I have run my 338 edge and 6.5 prc on 8133. Really like the 338 edge.
    669456FC-81EA-4E8E-86E3-D144B0FBEF4B.jpeg

Nice well dang I should pay more attention I just assumed they were like fairy dust

ADG comes up relatively regularly as well - and before anyone but Hornady was making brass, I fireformed 8x68S and it worked really well. Honestly, I'm sold on the 300 PRC for the ranges you talk about. The only one I might like better (but I doubt the change is worth the work I'd have to do) is the 30 Sherman.

Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
    ADG comes up relatively regularly as well - and before anyone but Hornady was making brass, I fireformed 8x68S and it worked really well. Honestly, I'm sold on the 300 PRC for the ranges you talk about. The only one I might like better (but I doubt the change is worth the work I'd have to do) is the 30 Sherman.
    I got one in trade and I sold it and the guy is like 75 fast with rl26 and rl 33 doing way better. But not always convinced on Sherman's cases

I think id probably give the 30 nosler a go. I’d really do a 300 Norma or Norma improved but due to bolt face I think the 30 nosler would be my choice there

It costs way more to burn out a barrel than it does to replace one.

My next barrel will either be 1:7 rum probably 30”-32” or another 300wm because I’m already setup for it. I like to order them before I need them. Currently have 3 barrels for my 243. I’m a big fan of barrel nut barrels and have had great results with criterion and McGowan other than my 375 McGowan which shot great but was too tight for monos.

Typically when I’m deciding on a new build I first choose a bullet, then choose a speed range I’d like to send them. That determines which cartridges I can go with. Then see who has good brass for that list.

It’s easier to go larger cartridge and run medium loads than it is to push an iffy cartridge to its limits to get desired speeds.

I’ve switched to monos because they have better performance and are often more available than cup and core quality bullets these days. I used to shoot cheaper bullets than monos but have learned I enjoy the extra performance over shooting extra rounds. Ie I’d rather spend double and hit 10/10 than spend the same and go 10/20 lol.
    Just my opinion and experiences.

It costs way more to burn out a barrel than it does to replace one.

My next barrel will either be 1:7 rum probably 30”-32” or another 300wm because I’m already setup for it. I like to order them before I need them. Currently have 3 barrels for my 243. I’m a big fan of barrel nut barrels and have had great results with criterion and McGowan other than my 375 McGowan which shot great but was too tight for monos.

Typically when I’m deciding on a new build I first choose a bullet, then choose a speed range I’d like to send them. That determines which cartridges I can go with. Then see who has good brass for that list.

It’s easier to go larger cartridge and run medium loads than it is to push an iffy cartridge to its limits to get desired speeds.

I’ve switched to monos because they have better performance and are often more available than cup and core quality bullets these days. I used to shoot cheaper bullets than monos but have learned I enjoy the extra performance over shooting extra rounds. Ie I’d rather spend double and hit 10/10 than spend the same and go 10/20 lol.
    Just my opinion and experiences.
    Yeah those 212 pva are kind of calling my name

One benefit of cup/core bullets is barrels are a lot faster to get.

I've not shot solids out to ELR distances, but my experience at intermediate distances showed less than impressive splash, both on and off the plate. Do you see something similar further out or is it all going so slow it doesn't matter?

Yeah that bullet looks amazing. Need a 1-7 twist. Is that 212 running good in a 1-8 or prolly need a 1-7 as well
    Haven’t shot one yet. Got them yesterday. Happy with the 198’s so far

I’m thinking 1:6 or 1:6.5 for the 241’s

I've not shot solids out to ELR distances, but my experience at intermediate distances showed less than impressive splash, both on and off the plate. Do you see something similar further out or is it all going so slow it doesn't matter?
    Haven’t noticed that my self. What substrate is your background

300 PRC will meet all your needs and Brunos still has Lapua brass in stock. Bullets are starting to come around.

You have any issues with lapua 300 prc brass with tight necks? What is the neck on the 300 prc reamer?

I definitely see a reduced impact signature with solids but it’s not terrible.
    That is the only problem with solids. I shot some for hunting got them out to 900 yards and could spot where they hit just not as much dirt flew.

Looks like right now 300 rum 300 prc brass is out of stock. 30 nosler is in stock. But no rush for me.

I'm personally thinking of selling my .300NM as a turnkey ELR setup, and getting a 7mm SS barrel for my SA Mausingfield rifle.

It's an amazing rifle, but just doesn't make sense to hold onto it since I have no where around me to really stretch it out.

IMG_20180725_075949-01.jpg

I've always wanted to try a 7mm cartridge, and consolidating down to fewer rifles makes sense for me right now. I think a 7mm SS would be fun.

Reactions: wildcats
    I'm personally thinking of selling my .300NM as a turnkey ELR setup, and getting a 7mm SS barrel for my SA Mausingfield rifle.

It's an amazing rifle, but just doesn't make sense to hold onto it since I have no where around me to really stretch it out.

View attachment 7775175

I've always wanted to try a 7mm cartridge, and consolidating down to fewer rifles makes sense for me right now. I think a 7mm SS would be fun.
    The 7mm are hard to beat for sure. High bc bullets and lighter recoil but you do lose barrel life depending on case.

Reactions: kthomas

View attachment 7775175

You’ll love the 7mm, especially the short mags!
    So much performance with such low recoil and cost.
    If I just had my one spot that goes out to 2300 I’d never even consider a 300 or 338.

The guys who are running solids are they that much better performance than cup and core at 1760 2000 yards and one day maybe 2600 yards but that isn't a huge concern. I know they are probably made better and higher bc.

The guys who are running solids are they that much better performance than cup and core at 1760 2000 yards and one day maybe 2600 yards but that isn't a huge concern. I know they are probably made better and higher bc.
    You’d need to drive Berger 300gn OTM’s about 3050-3100fps to match the 1800 yard performance of my 265 badlands and the OTM still only gets to 2300 yards supersonic with a lots more pressure or powder and recoil.

I’m supersonic past 2600 yards on most normal shooting days here and almost out to 2800 yards with the 285’s going a bit slower.

Better buy barrel blanks by the bushel...
    It would be interesting on how life is with the new bartlein material.