• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NEW ZEISS 6-24X72MM, BALLISTIC CALCULATOR INTEGRAT

Re: NEW ZEISS 6-24X72MM, BALLISTIC CALCULATOR INTEGRAT

Good God, $12,000? For that money, you could hire a team of MIT scientists to do the calculations, a harem of belly dancers to dial in the settings, and a trained chimp named Bubbles pull the trigger for you!

I saw a 6x24x72 in Georgia last week. MSRP was 4444.00, he shop was asking 3700.00

Why would anyone want this??

Second focal plane and with an objectice that large it just seems stupid!!!

The SAM versions have an integrated ballistics calculator, that's why they are so expensive. There are non-SAM versions of the 6-24x in the mid-$3k range.

yes the normal H E N S O L D T don`t have the ballistic calculator and cost 3700 more or less i tink the rest of the over price is for the ballistic calculator, i don`t now how it works or how it looks like, so any imput would be nice.
i`ll make some yahoowork.

HuDisCo is the person to ask here on the Hide, let alone in America - he's the importer of the Hensoldt line.

As the Germans will tell you its legal to hunt there at night..but what is the actual light transmission on one of these?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's about as trick as it gets! </div></div>

Where is the built in Laser rangefinder?

I don't really care about things like the ballistic calculator or knowing what the air pressure is, but the digital display of windage and elevation is something I've wanted to see in scopes for a while now. If the display illuminated with the reticle, it would be super easy to verify scope settings in low light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's about as trick as it gets! </div></div>

Where is the built in Laser rangefinder? </div></div>

Current built in technology is limited to about 800 yards effective use.

Since this is a military product, typically operated by a 2 man team, 20k LRF technology is integrated into some of our observation platforms like the OPUS-H and TLS-40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't really care about things like the ballistic calculator or knowing what the air pressure is, but the digital display of windage and elevation is something I've wanted to see in scopes for a while now. If the display illuminated with the reticle, it would be super easy to verify scope settings in low light. </div></div>

It is illuminated. Reticle illumination is a standalone system that has it's own power source independent from the computer.

We also have a opto-mechanical solution in the SSG-P scope that is part of the illuminated portion of the reticle as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ttam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the Germans will tell you its legal to hunt there at night..but what is the actual light transmission on one of these? </div></div>

Light transmission is a measured 99.8% per air to glass surface. There are 2 per lens.

There is a lot more that plays into it though like entrance and exit pupil.

In low light conditions there is nothing that compares.

This scope gets a bad rap for being "Hubble Huge", but it is only 15 inches long and only mounts 7mm higher than a 56. The ZF 6-24x72 weighs a little over 2 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ttam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the Germans will tell you its legal to hunt there at night..but what is the actual light transmission on one of these? </div></div>

Light transmission is a measured 99.8% per air to glass surface. There are 2 per lens.

There is a lot more that plays into it though like entrance and exit pupil.

In low light conditions there is nothing that compares.

This scope gets a bad rap for being "Hubble Huge", but it is only 15 inches long and only mounts 7mm higher than a 56. The ZF 6-24x72 weighs a little over 2 lbs.
</div></div>

7mm is is quite a bit!!! A 56 already needs a adjustable cheekpiece raised a good bit for the average shooter. What is next max out the cheekpiece and add a stockpack??? Seems very impracticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a 6x24x72 in Georgia last week. MSRP was 4444.00, he shop was asking 3700.00

Why would anyone want this??

Second focal plane and with an objectice that large it just seems stupid!!! </div></div>

This scope is the Standard issue for the Bundeswehr's version of the M107 Barrett and the DSR No. 1.

Consider the ELR application:

1. The SPF's finer subtensions are useful on small and/or distant targets.

2. The large 72mm fluorite lens provides superior resolution (see Dawes’ Limit) and extended low light capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm is is quite a bit!!! A 56 already needs a adjustable cheekpiece raised a good bit for the average shooter. What is next max out the cheekpiece and add a stockpack??? Seems very impracticle </div></div>

To each his own. That's why we make a 56mm version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gewgaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good God, $12,000? For that money, you could hire a team of MIT scientists to do the calculations, a harem of belly dancers to dial in the settings, and a trained chimp named Bubbles pull the trigger for you! </div></div>

We thought of going this route, but the shipping cost was too high.
wink.gif

7mmm is .275 Inches... so a hair over a quarter of an inch... that's big ?

I've seen this scope it mounts up fine, and doesn't require anything special, and isn't nearly as high as one would think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mmm is .275 Inches... so a hair over a quarter of an inch... that's big ?

I've seen this scope it mounts up fine, and doesn't require anything special, and isn't nearly as high as one would think. </div></div>

OK IMO it is way to big.

Lets discuss the scope from a practical standpoint.

IYO what type of rifle would you mount this on?? Seems a little out of place on a short barreled easier to carry tactical rifle.

Also, <span style="color: #FF0000">SECOND FOCAL PLANE</span>. Is this the only way the scope comes???

Why not First focal plane????

It built under military spec's with the secondary focal plane you can range with it on any power setting not just on a set power. This scope would have thw ability to work under full moon light (if clear) without the need of night vision devices to a point. I know most military orders for night observation would have NV devices for use.

I have had the pleasure of seeing alot of the Hensoldt line of products and they do have there place top of the top end optics. I have not looked thru anything better than the Hensoldt stuff. However I do think that it is not for everyone, but if you want the best Hensoldt is one of them.

KHOOKS

Thanks for the info.

Educate me if you will.

I was under the impression that FIRST FOCAL PLANE scopes are the only scopes that you can range with on any power.

And that all SECOND FOCAL PLANE scopes are callibrated at a set power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It built under military spec's with the secondary focal plane you can range with it on any power setting not just on a set power. This scope would have thw ability to work under full moon light (if clear) without the need of night vision devices to a point. I know most military orders for night observation would have NV devices for use.

I have had the pleasure of seeing alot of the Hensoldt line of products and they do have there place top of the top end optics. I have not looked thru anything better than the Hensoldt stuff. However I do think that it is not for everyone, but if you want the best Hensoldt is one of them. </div></div>
Perhaps you meant FFP?

You know your right I'm running blind right now I have this bass ackwords!! My bad. You are right on the focal plane issue. Been running number all day eye barly open mind fried.

But there stuff is still awesome!!

When I saw the scope last week, I was amazed at the looks of it. The shop was busy and I was in a hurry so I did not get a chance to look through it.

When I got home I pulled the scope up online and saw that it was second focal plane. Just trying to figure out why???

Maybe you can email Nathan, and he can pass you off to Zeiss so they can explain to you the "why" behind it... cause I don't think you understand the concept around "different mission objectives"... this isn't designed for a "light" tactical rifle, its designed for something other than your single solution model...

I know some of there models you can get either way. This is a good question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you can email Nathan, and he can pass you off to Zeiss so they can explain to you the "why" behind it... cause I don't think you understand the concept around "different mission objectives"... this isn't designed for a "light" tactical rifle, its designed for something other than your single solution model... </div></div>

Lowlight I am not trying to start a problem here. Not sure if your taking it that way or not. I felt this was deisned for a heavy longe range rifle.

BUT

Please educate me ( I try to learn as much as I can about all of this, that is why I stay active on the hide)

Why would you ever want a Second focal plane over a First focal plane????

I know of no other pro to the second focal plane scopes other than if you are comparing the two buy the same manufacturer(Such as Nightforce or Leupold) that the second focal plane is cheaper to make so it in return is cheaper to the consumer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I saw the scope last week, I was amazed at the looks of it. The shop was busy and I was in a hurry so I did not get a chance to look through it.

When I got home I pulled the scope up online and saw that it was second focal plane. Just trying to figure out why??? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This scope is the Standard issue for the Bundeswehr's version of the M107 Barrett and the DSR No. 1.

Consider the ELR application:

1. The SPF's finer subtensions are useful on small and/or distant targets.

2. The large 72mm fluorite lens provides superior resolution (see Dawes’ Limit) and extended low light capability. </div></div>

See what happens is, this calculator works with the scope together so what the calculator does, is it zeroes the scope for each and every shot. So when you turn the adjustments to the correct range and windage, it brings everything to zero.

So design is built around the scope and calculator working together, and its meant to be adjusted via the dials, not adjusted via the reticle. They probably also opt for the much more positive "laser" solution, as opposed to ranging with the scope, so eliminate one need, the calculator eliminates the other FFP need of a holding because they want you dial every shot.

So, I am sure there is more but with my limited knowledge, those sort of take 2 reasons for FFP out of the equation.

2nd focal plane being considerably cheaper to produce than a FFP is a myth. A myth that some use to charge more for the FFP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See what happens is, this calculator works with the scope together so what the calculator does, is it zeroes the scope for each and every shot. So when you turn the adjustments to the correct range and windage, it brings everything to zero.

So design is built around the scope and calculator working together, and its meant to be adjusted via the dials, not adjusted via the reticle. They probably also opt for the much more positive "laser" solution, as opposed to ranging with the scope, so eliminate one need, the calculator eliminates the other FFP need of a holding because they want you dial every shot.

So, I am sure there is more but with my limited knowledge, those sort of take 2 reasons for FFP out of the equation. </div></div>

This is true. Consider also that the SAM is a different scope than the standard 6-24x72 and there is an FFP version.

I should have mentioned that earlier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2nd focal plane being considerably cheaper to produce than a FFP is a myth. A myth that some use to charge more for the FFP! </div></div>

It is only more difficult if not do not build all your scopes in a clean room. If you have cleanliness issues then an FFP scope is much more telling.

I guess it is more costly to stay sanitary for some manufacturers?
grin.gif

Not sure if you chaps have seen the PDF spec sheet.

Zeiss 6-24x72mm SAM

Looks like a serious piece of kit, but I'm a Nightforce kinda guy. Their scopes suits me down to the ground.

I don't know how to take that; coming from a place that gave birth to Lucas; "The Prince of darkness"
grin.gif

Hey, we also gave you the Accuracy International AW!

Sorry about the Lucas thing, mind you to be fair to the chap he did die in 1902, so he can hardly be held responsible for poor quality automotive products.

Good job the Zeiss is German and the Nightforce Japanese/American!

This scope reminds me of the Leica Geovid binoculars. When they came out
I thought wow, what will those German engineers think of next.

It should still have an integrated laser rangefinder.

Forgot about the down under connection!

Mind you for a big country they don't half keep themselves to themselves!

Unless it's cricket.... buggers!

Looks like a fantastic toy for those who can afford it.

Re: NEW ZEISS 6-24X72MM, BALLISTIC CALCULATOR INTE

It comes with a pressure sensor, angle indicator, humidity, cant, and knob position (mil) all displayed INSIDE the scope - take that Barrett BORS. I saw this scope at SHOT07....funny how it got a little attention. Yes, the ballistic table can be downloaded for any caliber....and it'll save multiple calibers too.

http://www.zeiss.de/C1257088004A3F3C/EmbedTitelIntern/SAM_e/$File/Sam.pdf
http://www.zeiss.de/C1257088004A21CA/Contents-Frame/521382359A5D46B9C12570BC002C5996

This stuff got little attention because, until this year, they weren't being imported, because of HUDISCO, we get to actually see and buy this stuff... before it was like my daughter asking for a unicorn for her birthday.

Want a Unicorn? Just can't tug on the horn till the epoxy cures!
grin.gif

Oh sure, now you have a unicorn, of course, today they are a dime a dozen, but when I needed a unicorn where were you ?

Whatever you need; Yeti,Bigfoot,Lochness...! In 1 day; Lochness monster may take 2!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mmm is .275 Inches... so a hair over a quarter of an inch... that's big ?

I've seen this scope it mounts up fine, and doesn't require anything special, and isn't nearly as high as one would think. </div></div>

OK IMO it is way to big.

Lets discuss the scope from a practical standpoint.

IYO what type of rifle would you mount this on?? Seems a little out of place on a short barreled easier to carry tactical rifle.

Also, <span style="color: #FF0000">SECOND FOCAL PLANE</span>. Is this the only way the scope comes???

Why not First focal plane???? </div></div>

You would mount it on a larger, long range meat stick for shooting in low to no light....
Took a couple quick (crappy) picks to show the Zeiss 72 mounted on my 300RUM Sendero. Dont think it looks out of place on this rifle and I think it complements the ability of this caliber nicely, where and how I hunt. Did have to add a Karsten to the HS stock to get completely comfortable behind it...as opposed to ordring an adjustable whatever.
IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg