• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Zero or just a bad shot??

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
I went to the range to shoot my R700 for the first time in quite a while.
I took 5 shot on 5 diferent .5" dots and all my shot were about .5" low. As I started to question my shots I started to adjust elevation 1/2 MOA up and that brought up my shots and I was happier with my performance.

So my question is since I havent shoot in a while, how do I know if it's my zero that needs a bit of tweeking or I'm just screwing up the shot just enough??

R.

Re: New Zero or just a bad shot??

sounds like if you made an adjustment and it brought the POI to the POA, then you are good. I had a hunting rig that i hadnt shot in years lose its zero horribly, it was dead on at 100 when i put it away and then when i went to shoot it a few years later it wouldnt even hit paper at 50 yds. It can happen. Sounds like your problem is fixed

could be.....station pressure and other meteorological conditions have changed a LOT since.....

+1 to what Boltripper said. Wouldn't take very much of a temperature change to get a .5 moa change in POI. About 10 degrees and that can happen in a day.

I tend to confirm zero just about every time I shoot due to things such as this.

I generally find my zero changes dependent on the time of year and temperature. I have it zeroed at 80*, but now it shoots around 3/4-1 moa high with the temps in the 100* range. During the winter months it shoots low. You can take the differing temp ranges and memorize the difference or mark the elevation knob with a paint pen. Red for 20* + over your zero temp, Blue for 20* + under your zero temp so you know where it sits.
You can also mark your cold bore shot zero. Mine is usually 3/4" high, 1/2" right...so I mark the CBS and leave it dialed there until after my first shot then crank it to 0.
Hot ammunition will shoot different than cold as well.

+1 to bolttripper and McCrazy, .5 MOA change could be from a difference of like 15 degrees temperature change. Did you write down the temperature you zeroed it at?

The answer is: it depends on the consistency of your shots. Can you put the holes on top of one another and form a good group? If your points of impact are consistent relative to the dots, then it's your zero.

Hey Graham, long time no hear.
you guys brought up a good point. I haven't shot this thing since March more or less, and weather was a bit different, not by much though. To compound the issue, I can't find my log entry for those training days to really compare the weather. I'll probably go back out next week, so I'll get a chance to really confirm it.
At this point I'm not too worried about it. My AI AW will repalce the 700 by next month if things go well. But I still want to trouble shoot the issue for my own knowledge.

R.

Outstanding line. I shot this weekend for the first time since May. Temperature nad Humdity very different from then. August in north Texas! It pulled my POI off about 2.5" right and 3" high. Grouped very well, so I figure it has to be my zero.