• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Zero with new base..?

palle2612

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
Denmark. Thats Europe
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what changes I could expect when going from my current 20 moa base to a 30+ base. I've seen Tac'ops makes 34 and 40 moa 2-piece bases..
I'm not in to all this moa math, but if I were to change to a 34 or 40 moa, how much will it shift my zero...

Currently I have: 10,5 mRad up and 9 mRad down.. witch seems funny, almost in the middle, happy that I dident go with a flat base..

I really hope it will get me a little farther with my ammo.

Re: New Zero with new base..?

"...all this MOA math..." is really quite simple. If you have 9 Mil available down, this translates to about 30.9 MOA (1 Mil=3.4377 MOA). Obviously you don't want to use all of it as it will limit your windage adjustments.

Correct me if I'm wrong..

If I were to change from my current 20 moa base to a 40 moa base I would get something like..

20 to 40 = 20 moa diff.

20 moa / 3,4377 = 5,81 mil

9 mRad - 5,81 mil = 3,2 mRad

So in theory I would end up with 3,2 mRad down and 16,3 up (19 mRad total)
That if correct would be the answer to my prayers, my windage is dead center at 100 meters so it should not be any probs. Right!!!

That's correct, but before you proceed, I would dial down the 20 MOA and see what kind of windage travel you get.

Also, you said something about a 2-piece base. For a precision rifle I would suggest a 1-piece.

Yes I know.. But I'm shooting a Howa 1500 .308 with a 24" heavy barrel and there really ain't a lot of aftermaket stuff for it..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palle2612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I know.. But I'm shooting a Howa 1500 .308 with a 24" heavy barrel and there really ain't a lot of aftermaket stuff for it.. </div></div>

I thought Howa 1500's accepted any remington 700 base? But I've never owned one just throwing that out.

Yeah your math is correct. If you add a 20moa base,you should have 20 moa more elevation. Your windage should not be affected as long as the mounts are square to waht you have now.

Bear in mind however, most moa bases dont usually have the exact amount of moa advertised (example: Some 20 moa bases only have 15 moa). So if you make your initial adjustmentdown 14 or 20 more moa, you may need to make a few extra adjustments to get back on your zero.

Lindy brought up a few examples a few weeks back of some actual measurements. Dont know where it is at. If Lindy chimes in, he if the guru of this stuff.

If you are using MOA 2 piece bases that are made for a Remington short action and your Howa has a longer spacing it will reduce the amount of extra elevation you get + if your rings are not lapped or have inserts in them it will make the rings start to bind on the scope.