• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb .243 question

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
I just started reloading. I reload .308, .454 Casull and in a few weeks .300WM. I'm not sure if my wife is going to like shooting the .308 because she really doesn't like recoil with rifles (shoots a .44Mag handgun though, go figure). I've seen bore sighters, ammo cases, and reloading tools that say .308/.243. Does the .243 use the same case(brass) as the .308?

Re: Newb .243 question

well sort of. It is a necked down version. I wouldn't use 308 brass to make 243 brass.

The body is basically the same and the base too, so shellholders, ammo cases, etc work for both.

The 243 is lighter recoil due to pushing a lighter projectile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well sort of. It is a necked down version. I wouldn't use 308 brass to make 243 brass. </div></div>

This is what I was getting at. I know the ballistics on the .243 I just wasn't sure of the case. Probably will just stick with .308 then.

I lovingly refer to my .243AI as a 6mm-08 Ackley....