• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb Barrel Selection Question

rothperson87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2018
I’m building my first bolt gun so I’m going through quite the learning curve here. Planning on using an Origin action in an Accuracy International chassis. I know these actions take a savage small shank barrel. When looking for barrels I’ve seen some that mention thread type or shank and some that don’t. If it doesn’t mention anything is that something the smith does when assembling everything?

Was planning on using this barrel but obviously want to make sure it works with the Origin action before I buy it. If not I see these barrels specifically mention a savage small shank.

Also, is it the smith who refinishes the shiny stainless steel barrel to black or another color or something I have done before I send it in for assembly?

Thanks all!

You probably want an Origin prefit (specifically a shouldered prefit, which most just call a prefit). A barrel marketed as a Savage small shank typically has the shoulder area contoured down from the standard 1.2-1.25” to ~1.062” (1-1/16”). This is so a barrel nut will slip over the barrel shank, which is the standard Savage design.

The Origin uses the Savage thread pattern (1.062” x 20 TPI), which is why you’re getting a little mixed up; barrels can use the Savage thread pattern but still have a full-diameter shank (1.2-1.25”) so you can leave a shoulder. This is the easiest way to get a barrel installed, even by yourself, if an action allows for prefits, and the Origin does.

Lots of places offer Origin prefits. The first barrel you linked is just a blank, so it would need to get chambered and threaded by a gunsmith; plenty can do this. I’d recommend you look for a chambered prefit, they’ll typically save you money. Not always though, I think if you want a Bartlein you’ll end up paying basically full price since I only know of Bugholes offering Bart prefits and their machining costs are a bit higher than others.

Reactions: rothperson87
All of those are blanks, and require a gunsmith for finishing. If you want something that come finish machined, you’re looking for a “pre-fit“, And those come in barrel nut or shouldered variety

You probably want an Origin prefit (specifically a shouldered prefit, which most just call a prefit). A barrel marketed as a Savage small shank typically has the shoulder area contoured down from the standard 1.2-1.25” to ~1.062” (1-1/16”). This is so a barrel nut will slip over the barrel shank, which is the standard Savage design.

The Origin uses the Savage thread pattern (1.062” x 20 TPI), which is why you’re getting a little mixed up; barrels can use the Savage thread pattern but still have a full-diameter shank (1.2-1.25”) so you can leave a shoulder. This is the easiest way to get a barrel installed, even by yourself, if an action allows for prefits, and the Origin does.

Lots of places offer Origin prefits. The first barrel you linked is just a blank, so it would need to get chambered and threaded by a gunsmith; plenty can do this. I’d recommend you look for a chambered prefit, they’ll typically save you money. Not always though, I think if you want a Bartlein you’ll end up paying basically full price since I only know of Bugholes offering Bart prefits and their machining costs are a bit higher than others.
Ahh…That clears things up. Will probably just get a blank bartlien then and have it all done by the smith when getting assembled. Thanks again.

Reactions: KnowNothing256