• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newb confused about moa to mil. overthinking it?

squirrel_slayer

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
casa grande, az
hello guys I found a range that I plan on going to next week that has a steel target set at 800yds and i'm trying to figure out my hold and either the math is to simple that i'm overthinking it or i'm way off.

here it goes. my range card shows 222" of drop at 800yds or 26.5MOA 100m zero. now do I just divide it by 3.6 to get mils? which comes out to 7.36mils. It seems like to low of a number but maybe it's right? I plan on only using the reticle for my drops and have 15mils of elevation in the reticle.

Re: newb confused about moa to mil. overthinking it?

When converting MOA to Mils divide by 3.438 not 3.6. 3.6 is what 1 mil at 100 yards equals in inches.

26.5/3.438 = 7.7 mils

What Graham said. I use 3.5 and round though. Ex- 26.5/3.5=7.57 round to 7.6 so you'd be .1 off. Big deal if your just ringing steel. You can do it in your head and forget the calculator and save yourself some time. Shooting for score is obviously different, but hit/no hit use 3.5. Just my opinion

I noticed you're mixing yards and meters. Is your drop card really set up for a 100m zero with range in yards? There's a 10% difference between yds and m.

and if you want to go back to MOA from Mil divide by .2908 as in:
26.5/3.438 = 7.707 Mils and 7.707/.2908 = 26.50 MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squirrel_slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello guys I found a range that I plan on going to next week that has a steel target set at 800yds and i'm trying to figure out my hold and either the math is to simple that i'm overthinking it or i'm way off.

here it goes. my range card shows 222" of drop at 800yds or 26.5MOA 100m zero. now do I just divide it by 3.6 to get mils? which comes out to 7.36mils. It seems like to low of a number but maybe it's right? I plan on only using the reticle for my drops and have 15mils of elevation in the reticle. </div></div> You may want to make the sort of adjustment which will yield the best results for conditions present. First, assuming your scope adjustments are in MOA why not click to target distance? This assures the possibility of a better hold for center of mass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squirrel_slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello guys I found a range that I plan on going to next week that has a steel target set at 800yds and i'm trying to figure out my hold and either the math is to simple that i'm overthinking it or i'm way off.

here it goes. my range card shows 222" of drop at 800yds or 26.5MOA 100m zero. now do I just divide it by 3.6 to get mils? which comes out to 7.36mils. It seems like to low of a number but maybe it's right? I plan on only using the reticle for my drops and have 15mils of elevation in the reticle. </div></div> You may want to make the sort of adjustment which will yield the best results for conditions present. First, assuming your scope adjustments are in MOA why not click to target distance? This assures the possibility of a better hold for center of mass. </div></div>

didn't think i'd get hooked shooting long distance. started shooting the 22 at 250yds then enjoyed the challenge and now want to really push myself out there with the .308. my current optic doesn't have adjustable turrets. has a spr reticle(leupold mr/t) so essentially thats all I have to use untill I can afford a better optic. should have never sold my super sniper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed you're mixing yards and meters. Is your drop card really set up for a 100m zero with range in yards? There's a 10% difference between yds and m.

</div></div>

Ecg is right on the money here. If you are using a meters zero, your dope card should of course be in meters too. Convert that distance target to meters and engage it that way. Both of these are unrelated to MOA or MILS for this purpose. The point is to reduce things to a common unit, that being the one your zero is based on. That 800Y target would be (800Y x.91 = 728M).

--Fargo007

Drop in inches divided by R/100 = MOA

then

MOA/3.44= Mils

Should get you there.

Have fun.

C_K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squirrel_slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my<span style="font-weight: bold"> current optic doesn't have adjustable turrets</span>. has a spr reticle(leupold mr/t) so essentially thats all I have to use untill I can afford a better optic. should have never sold my super sniper. </div></div> You can't adjust the turrets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squirrel_slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my<span style="font-weight: bold"> current optic doesn't have adjustable turrets</span>. has a spr reticle(leupold mr/t) so essentially thats all I have to use untill I can afford a better optic. should have never sold my super sniper. </div></div> You can't adjust the turrets? </div></div>

Those are 1/2MOA with BDC turrets. If its the same MR/T SPR I have...1.5-5 right?

C_K