• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb in North Texas

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
Hi, all... I've been lurking around the Hide for a couple of years now (mostly looking at equipment reviews, etc...), and decided to finally get off my butt and introduce myself.

Anyhow, while I have been shooting all my life, I am pretty new to the precision game. Mostly, I'm here to learn; I spend a good deal of time researching things on the web, but just haven't had much time to put all (any?) of it to use. I'm looking to change that.

A year or so ago, I picked up a $100-ish dollar Mosin 91/30, and decided to use it to teach myself some rudimentary 'smithing skills (read: stock inletting, bedding). I figure that if I foul something up, it's better done to a $100 rifle than a $500+ rifle. I am also planning on learning the ropes regarding load development with that rifle. While I have no illusions of shooting sub-MOA groups with it, I figure that if I take it from shooting, say, 8" groups to shooting maybe 2" (dare I say even 1"?) groups, then I'm moving in the right direction.

FWIW, I have put the action into a Boyd's stock, which I inletted for both the action (the cutout needed some tweaking) and the Timney trigger that I installed. The barrel is free floating (had to put a couple of shims under the square recoil lug to make it happen), and I bedded it with Acraglass. I understand that the free floating barrel is probably not ideal for the rifle, but it gives me something else to play with; if I can't get it to shoot as-is, I'll fashion a barrel tensioning device of some sort and play with it to see what happens. I also have the front sight sent to a guy who makes them height adjustable and offers a number of front sight post options, so perhaps I will be able to get it to print on target at 100 yards (I didn't find out about the shaving-the-rear-sight trick until the front sight had already been sent out). Anyhow, here is Project Mosin in all of its glory:

IMG_20130818_180356_020.jpg