• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb in SW Ohio looking for some advice.

faulball67

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2011
West Chester, OH
Like it says in the subject, I'm new here. I was in the Army for 9 years, but was a dumbass and never got into shooting outside of on the Army's dime(I shot much more than my fill). Having gotten out in 09 I started missing it all so I have gotten back into it slowly but surely. I now have quite a few guns. Recently I decided to buy a Savage 116 weather warrior in 300 win mag, mounted a bushnell elite 3200 3-10x40 scope, and a Caldwell bipod on it to get started in long range shooting. As per the norm with me I bought before thinking about where I could shoot this weapon to really start learning the art of long range shooting. I have made 600 yard shots before back when I was still in the Army using an M4 and an ACOG, but hitting 1k is a new ball game all together. I am located just north of Cincinnati, OH (West Chester to be exact) and I am looking for a range to shoot at. That said, I do know about TVP and fully intend to head out there. However, it is a 3 hour drive and I know absolutely no one out there, or anyone here (in my area) who even cares to shoot long range. I was hoping to find an Intermediate size range (400-600 yards)to get a feel for the rifle, work on my rifle skills a bit, and a good zero before I go up to TVP and look like a complete ass with my, no doubt, inferior equipment and complete lack of long range experience. I know I am probably worrying about that too much, but no one likes being the new guy at the range who doesn't anyone there or how to do things right. It reminds me of being a fresh faced PVT out of basic walking into 3/75 RGR for the first time, with all the PSG's gathered around all us new RIP grads. It feels like being fresh meat for the grinder. Anyone know of something around 90 minutes away with intermediate range to get started? Any more than 2 hours and I might as well go look like a fool at TVP.

Sorry for being long winded.

Re: Newb in SW Ohio looking for some advice.

Faulball,

Contact Sgt. Tim Riggs at Middletown PD. He is on the board of American Sniper Assoc. He can point you in the right direction.

You will not look like a fool.
It's about learning and everybody helps each other.

Too many stories to tell now.

Come up for a short course shoot to see what is there.
I did it with my Bro's sporter and had a blast.

See you soon.

TC

Pm me I have a range. I am from Wilmington area. This summer will be a little hectic for me since my second child is due in about 4 weeks. But I can get youu some where to shoot.

TVP offers newbie classes that has traditionally been free during the summer months. Tom, (owner ov TVP) offers excellent advice and support. That said, one can rent the range for around $30.00 and you can then play the figure-it-out-on-your-own-and develop-bad-habits method.
Hit me with a PM if you want more info (A fellow ohio member, just north of you)
There are about 5 or so of us from the Dayton Area that shoot, and are members of TVP.

There are also some of us from up north.

Tom has an excellent place!
My first time was three January shoots ago.

Nobody will laugh or make fun of you.

I still have my stock gun, just better glass than the old 6-18 tasco.

Come on up to TVP you will NOT get laughed at unless your telling a joke and then only if its funny. Show up to one of the shoots and find me and let me know your new and I promise you it will be a great training day for you. Everyone up here is very helpful and your equipment is fine. After you shoot the "match" you have the rest of the day to practice with no extra cost. PM me if you need to know anything else about TVP.
Good luck and shoot straight

By the way its a 2 hour and 15 minute drive for me and I'm there about every weekend

Keep an eye out for 168gr commercial loads. They should be able to reach around 2900-3100fps from your rifle, and thereby run fast enough for 1Kyd shooting withough overdoing the recoil bit.

I mention recoil because despite a lot of determination to tolerate recoil, the fact remains that recoil accentuates fatigue and does not really help with any part of thr practice that's needed to achieve superior marksmanship

I think the 116 is a fine choice for hunting, and may also serve as a good lightweight tactical implement. I have a lightweight M70 30-'06 that serves the first purpose nicely, and would probably do admirably for the second.

Greg

Thank's Breeze.
That's the point I was trying to make.
Yes, my first time humbled me.
I saw there was much I didn't know.

We have a great place to learn from each other.

My drive is the same as Breeze, only from the north.

To make it simple, the guy's that know the course go first.
This way you see where the targets are.
Also get a chance to meet and compare dope with partner.

Bring some type of spotting scope, if you have.
Watching shots and hearning corections is great.

I've seen guys kick ass with 168 Federal and Hornady match.
.308, not win mag.

Hope to see you soon.

Sorry to get back to you guys just now, after so much great stuff has been posted. School has taken all of my time the last couple weeks. My plan is to get up to TVP sometime after mid June once I have ditched school for the summer (yes, nothing like going back to school after 10 years).

I plan on reloading my own rounds rather then spend a fortune on buying new. I have all the gear laying around that needs to be put to use. I was planning on loading nosler custom comp 168gr hpbt bullets but can't seem to find the load data. If anyone has a thought on this, or the load data for these bullets, let me know.

Was just on the TVP website. Can anyone confirm the newbie day on June 18th? Even if it's not, this would be probably be the first weekend I would be able to go anyway.