• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb ? - Is there a "system" to find THE LOAD.

hmmngwy

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
NE Florida
Please pardon the really basic questions. I am relatively new to reloading. I know the basic "how-to" stuff and now want to know more....

Starting with a new rifle...

How do I find the magic load for a rifle?

Do I start with one powder and try different bullet weights using the same powder, primers, etc. AND THEN try different powders after I find the preferred bullet? Or do you try different powders using the same bullet?

Example: For .308, I was told to try 168SMKs with 42.1 grn of Varget. The results were ok, but I think I can do better. I also tried different powder weights with the same 168SMKs. So for the next step, do I try say R15 powder with the same bullets, or use Varget with 155 and/or 175 gr bullets?

Say you find that your rifle prefers 169 gr SMKs with Varget, do you check 168 SMKs with R15?

Then after that do you move on to OAL?

I know this is probably a try them all until you find the best one, but I thought there might be a "system".

Thanks.

Re: Newb ? - Is there a "system" to find THE LOAD.

Read over the 2 sticky threads (reloading 101, and speed up your loading) at the top of the reloading section. Also look some of the loads listed with the bullets you want to shoot, but work up to these loads listed. I would also read the beginning of the reloading manuals. There is good info in there.