• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb looking for right caliber

jbjarko

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Peoria, Az
Hello all, I am looking to get into some long range shooting. I currently own, as far as rifles, a 22 as well as a .243 that I've rarely ever shot.

I'm looking to eventually touch the 1k yard mark; and work my way up as I go. I know I want to get my first rifle based on a Savage or Remington action because of the possibilities of modifications down the road. I am however confused as to what caliber I should start with. I want to develop good technique as I feel a good base is vitally important. So where should I begin, a newer .243, .270, .308?

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Newb looking for right caliber

308 is a good starting point, get one with a 700 action then you can grow with it.

Josh.
You curently have a 243. If you have a faster twist rate (1:8 or better), you can use the 105 grains and heavier. That should be able to get you to 1K easily. If you plan to just punch paper, and slay metal gong, then 243 is a good option to go with, because it has good BC bullets. Most Remy stock barrel don't have fast twist rate for the 243 unless you order a specific barrel.

One option is to get a new barrel with a faster twist and chamber it for the 115 grain bullet. You can get that through GAP. You will have one bad ass 243. Now, the barrel life is not going to be as good as the 308. If you want a new gun, just for the sake of having a new gun then go with the 308. When you a tired of it, you can always switch to the 243 and semi custom it. I am just saying...

I want a new gun...My old .243 is a wood stock and a gun my old man gave me, I don't really wanna tinker with it.

I'm worried that .308 may be too much of a rifle to learn with; maybe not?

You will be fine with a 308. Remember your most likely going to go with a heavier barrel I would think which will help with recoil and help with barrel temp. You can always get a muzzle brake or suppresor to help with recoil.

You really can't go wrong with a well built .308 but you may also want to think about a .260 Rem for caliber. It gives better long range trajectory than the .308 with a little less recoil. Loaded with 140 gr bullets, it can really reach out there. It may be worth some research into this little round. Just a thought and good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbjarko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a new gun...My old .243 is a wood stock and a gun my old man gave me, I don't really wanna tinker with it.

I'm worried that .308 may be too much of a rifle to learn with; maybe not?

</div></div>

If that were the case, 308 is your caliber. Good starting place.

.308 My 308 feels like butter I really like the recoil of a .308 rifle it's a nice solid push it's not bad at all, The weight makes up for it. I am a fairly built guy I am 5'7 and 152 "right now just lsot some weight from having surgery,was down for a month" I train often and don't have to much cushion if you know what I mean. I can shoot up to around 200 rounds in one day and not be bothered one bit, Maybe a little redness of the shoulder but thats all. Oh and heres me .308
download-17.jpg

nothing to fancy but it works. One day I will move on to some better rounds but the .308 does everything I need it to do from 100 yards out to 1000

.308 are cool!With all the load data out there, plus factary macth ammo, tjey are easy to get to long range. Wish I had got one, but got infatuated by the .300wsm! But thats a different story. IMO though, I would shoot the .243 for little bit. You already have it,so it gets you shooting faster.

Get a SPS Tac or SPS varmint 308 and start building it up. Start with a stock.

I like Savage and I like .260, but unless you handload, you'll get better service from a .308 as a first long range centerfire rifle. I recommend the newest Savage model 10FCP .308, which comes with Accue-Stock, Accue-Trigger, a Detachable single stack Box Magazine, and a Muzzle Brake.

Sharpshooter Supply sells a magazine bottom conversion that allows for a 10 round magazine, and the Savage barrel nut system permits rebarreling to .260 or other .308 based calbers without any further mods once the .308 barrel goes South. Expect that to take at least 3000 rounds.

Greg

Do the bulk of your marksmanship development training with a good, reliable .22LR and standard velocity ammo, CCI Green Tag is both effective and more affordable.

The .223, or .223AI are worthy of consideration as well... a little cheaper to shoot than the .308 and it will definitely show your errors at distance...

+1 for the .308 I am loving this caliber. Powerful yet not too much recoil.

If you reload I would get a 6mmBR hands down very easy to load for and shoot with basically Zero kick. Very cheap to shoot 30gr of Varget (+-), Lapua brass, CCI450 primers, 105gr Bergers or AMaxes will easily get you to 1000yards! I would also go with a Savage action and the reason why is because its SO cheap to swap out a barrel and bolt face to have multi cal. to shoot if you wanted. Get a Stockaid Stock, SSS trigger, Target short action, and Ive had very good luck with McGowen/Shilen Barrels. When your ready for alittle more fire power get a 7WSM or 300wsm and then you will have the same action, trigger and stock. Get some good glass I personally like NightForce in the 2nd focal plane and cant stand 1st focal plane scope where the crosshairs get Bigger as you turn up the power!
Now days I mostly have custom actions (Stillers) with McMillian or Manner stocks and Lijia barrels but I still have a couple of Savages that I shoot PDogs with and they sure can shoot. I smoked a Gopher last week at over 800yards with my 6mmbr!
Just starting out this is what I would do and see if your into it! JMO

Thanks everyone.

I know this is getting into a Ford vs. Chevy debate...but savage or Remington..is one honestly better than the other.

Thanks
Josh

Get a .308 or another .243

Theyre both pussy cats and cheap to shoot.

I know you already have a .243 but that would be my first pick. My rifle right now is my .243, and my first rifle was a .243. Theyre grrrrreat!

A remington action has more aftermarket support and more gunsmiths willing to work on them. I'd say a remington will have a little better resale value as well.

Both should be shooters out of the box.

308 if you don't reload. If you reload, 260 Rem and 243 Win are top picks. If you go magnum, look at 300WM, 7mag, 7WSM. Can't go wrong with any of these.

If I was going to start again, on a budget with factory gear, either:

.308 Rem 5R Milspec for under a grand, and shoot factory match ammo; or

7-twist .223 bolt gun with 80gr bullets in front of 24.5 of RE15.

With either a Super Sniper at $350 or the new SS variable at $600. And a NF -20 MOA base at $110 and Badger rings at $140.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a .308 or another .243

I know you already have a .243 but that would be my first pick. My rifle right now is my .243, and my first rifle was a .243. Theyre grrrrreat! </div></div>

But factory .243s don't come with a fast enough twist to stabilize the 115grs or will they? I don't know I haven't shot them yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a .308 or another .243

I know you already have a .243 but that would be my first pick. My rifle right now is my .243, and my first rifle was a .243. Theyre grrrrreat! </div></div>

But factory .243s don't come with a fast enough twist to stabilize the 115grs or will they? I don't know I haven't shot them yet. </div></div>

No they don't, or at least with the Remy. My stock Remy will stabilize the 105 grains however. You will need at least a 1:7 twist to stabilize the 115 grains