• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newb Question on Optics Choice - Getting Started with Right Scope

briggss3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
Lol....newb here with TMI analysis paralysis. Please help. Best bang for the buck - hunting (50-300 yds), predator control (50-800+ yards) and target/entry level competition shooting (out to 1000 yards).

Leupold Vx-3i LRP, 8.5-25x50 Long Range Riflescope, TMOA Reticle, Black - 172345 for $895 shipped eBay
Nikon FX1000, 6-24X50, Illuminated FX-MRAD for $650 shipped Amazon
Athlon Optics , Ares BTR , Riflescope , 4.5-27 x 50 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30mm Tube, Illuminated APLR3 MIL Reticle for $664 shipped Amazon
Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II First Focal Plane Riflescopes for $975 shipped Amazon
Other I did not list - trying to stay under $1000 (as cheap as possible) without sacrificing - but could justify up to $1500 or so if warranted????

These are some of the choices I am mulling over. I am not technically competent yet on optics, but want to learn. All around hunting and target optic needed. My teenage son also wants to learn, maybe join local competitions for long range. We hunt everything from close range pigs to mid range deer and are about to enter longer range predator shooting (low light). Going on a 6.5 Grendel AR platform and/or a 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision.

I want my son to learn correct and have enough features to teach him how to adapt to distance, windage, etc. So much to consider with limited background here and I don't want to make a bad choice or limit our ability to grow into features and capabilities as we learn more. So I would rather buy something I will be able to use right now and grow into versus something I will grow out of and need to upgrade soon.

Also need a good recommendation on mount - going on a rail.

That's in the plan at some point. I am 52 and have hunted since I was 8-10. Mainly birds, small game, but always around deer hunting, etc. Nothing out past 250 to 300 yards. At this point I just need to get started and don't want to make a terrible decision on a quality optic (assuming one that a good instructor can teach my son with).

PST Gen II is a good scope. I have one in a .22 that I frequently dial to 19 mils and back over and over. That being said I have GEN II razor on my match gun.

thePST would work fine and they can be found used for a decent price. Don’t buy anything from Amazon on optics until you shop around first.

people have been talking highly of Athlon but I have never used one or seen one in person.

Thanks. I most likely will make a purchase from my local sporting goods guy here...supporting local business. Or possibly one of this forum's members. Was just putting ebay and amazon out there for general pricing.

Decent in-between scope, good at bench, good in the field, mag range gets you out to where you want to be.

Quick question - is 3x15 enough for long range? I just assumed I needed a higher power to be able to see targets.

Also, seeing these in another thread.

- Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 4.5-30x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal - $1299 -$200 Midway gift card
- Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 - APLR FFP IR MOA - $1299 from Camera Land

I suspect that Bushnell is pretty good based on the suggested retail MSRP. I always wanted a Leupold VX 5 - how do these compare?

Reactions: YotaEer
15X can get you reliably beyond 1000 yards, assuming your target is not tiny. If the priority is bench shooting, get as much mag as you want; but high mag is far less useful in most hunting circumstances.

My vote is for the PST II. You could also call cameralandny and speak with Doug for advice as well. He will definitely point you in the right direction. Or any one of the site sponsors. If you are trying to hunt close in, the FFP PST II might not be the best option for you, although you could pair it with an offset red dot. That 3-15 Razor mentioned earlier would also be a really good option. As stated, unless you are shooting tiny targets 15x will get you to 1000 yards. But I would argue for you prioritizing hunting over target shooting, because you don't need to ensure an ethical kill on a steel target. Maybe also take a look at the Meopta Optika6 line as well, specifically the 3-18 FFP line with the illuminated MRAD1 reticle designed by Ilya. I have 2, and they seem to be a good compromise between a hunting and target scope.

Checkout the new vortex strike eagle 5-25. Very similar to the PST at a better price point in my opinion.

Talking to Doug at Cameraland - sounds like the Cronus is his recommendation - very informative. So it sounds like I am tooling between the PST II, Cronus, and curious if anyone has experience or opinions on the XRS.

Doug is a great guy. I miss him selling Vortex :(

he sold me two of my Razors back in the day. He is someone worth listening too thiugh.

Talking to Doug at Cameraland - sounds like the Cronus is his recommendation - very informative. So it sounds like I am tooling between the PST II, Cronus, and curious if anyone has experience or opinions on the XRS.

As a self proclaimed optics nerd.........here is my perspective. Keep in mind, I'm a guy who spends hours comparing optics on a tripod. Side x side in same conditions and decides which is "best". Having compared a ton of scopes in the $1500 range and below, you might find my perspective useful. If not, here's my two cents anyway.

Between the Cronus BTR and Bushnell XRS II.................

Short answer...........Choose whichever reticle you like the best as they are both excellent.

Optically, they would have to be side x side on a tripod to tell any distinguishable difference.
I found my XRS II to be slightly better optically than my two Cronus BTR scopes. However, both are extremely good optics. One of my Cronus is unmounted, so I was able to put them on my optical comparitor tripod when my Bushnell first arrived. I did a 30 minute comparison at distances from 70 yards to 300 yards and find the Bushnell to have a little better resolution than the Cronus. I was careful to "tune" the ocular/fast focus on each to gain the best image. Brightness, Color, Contrast were all very similar if not indistinguishable.

The Bushnell is truly exceptional at the Midwayusa deal. Essentially $1100, assuming you have a use for the $200 gift card.

Turrets:
Bushnell are better.........locking windage is a nice touch.

Ruggedness:
I would lean toward Bushy as their high-end tactical scopes have got a bullet proof reputation

Reticle:
For big game hunting (my intended use for the Bushnells)...........I like the G3 Bushnell better as it's less cluttered and I don't need .2 mil wind holds for big game.

I have mounted my first Bushnell XRS II on my Bergara Premier Highlander 6.5 manbunn, site in was two shots. Using my confirmed dope and Strelok app, I had first round hits in 10 MPH wind at 547 yards on 18" rock yesterday. Optically, the Bushnell was impressive and mechanically they are known to work reliably. My initial impressions are very high........and I was skeptical that I would prefer it to my Cronus BTRs.

I like it so much, I ordered a 2nd Bushy...........

I also compared my other Cronus BTR that is mounted on a Bergara 223 at the range the other day with the new Bushnell. I stand by my initial impression that the Bushnell has a slight optical edge. It was evident when viewing paper targets at 100 yards, trees/shrubs/cheat grass and lava rock from 200-500 yards. The Bushnell is just better................that is saying something as the Cronus BTR are amazing scopes optically for the money.

Athlon Midas, Ares or Cronus. Cronus is their top tier. Read reviews. Impressive. I own a Midas and it is excellent.

This is a very touchy subject I’ve found, I’m surprised you do not have Nightforce or Steiner on this list, if I was going to spend less than 1k it would no doubt be ether a SHV F1 or Steiner P4xi both scopes are much better quality than the Vortex PST i had nothing but issues with both my Gen 1 and Gen 2 vortex scopes, the Steiner P4xi has more features than the SHV like true zero stop not zero set, and a 34mm tube fantastic eye box, this scope is fantastic I have it on my 223 I strongly Recommend buying ether one of these over everything else on your list both are under 1k.

Reactions: TripleOrNothing
10x will get you to 1000 yards just fine. Although it will make spotting hits/misses more challenging.
I would try to go with something roughly 3-15x. Most (not all) hunting applications are hindered more by how low the magnification goes, NOT by how high it can go. So 3x is a good place to start for hunting and 15x will get you well beyond 1000 yards. It's a good do it all power range.

You want a super 3-15 look at the Weaver Tactical 3-15 at Natchez Shooters Supply. Made by LOW in Japan. Yes, I own it. $499 right now.

Buy a used Vortex, decent place to start and you can always get your money back if you don't like it.

What will become apparent very quickly is how many skills go into hitting targets beyond 300 yards. If you stretch that to 700, the list grows; and to a 1000+, more skills still.

All that to say the optic, if it comes from a reputable maker, will be far from the limiting component in your mid- to long-range efforts. Worry less about the optic and move your efforts to mastering the skills. With the info above, take a pick, then get it and start practicing. As said above, most of these scopes, if you decide you hate it, you can pull most of your money back out by selling to someone doing exactly the same thing you are doing now.

There is a training section here, subscription-based, that would be highly useful, assuming you and/or your son are starting from less-than-expert experience levels - which is to say pretty much everyone could get something useful from the training section...

Everyone wants the gear that turns them into John Wick, it doesn't exist: practice, practice, practice. Improvement, especially at the beginning, is a function of time and effort, not a function of $$$.

I don't have any of the ones that you listed nor have I looked through them.

I do have the Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 on an AR-10 6.5cm. It easily shoots to 600yds.
I'd highly recommend one.

But, I'd also highly recommend you looking at as many as you can side by side if possible.

I've been curious about the Weaver. How does it compare to the SWFA 3-15?
I never had the SWFA. I am extremely pleased with the Weaver. I printed .5 inch group at 100 yards with it. But that is also the rifle and 6.5 Grendel ammo I was using.
IMG_1446.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG

Reactions: TripleOrNothing
You cant best Athlon’s offering in the given price range

Outstanding thread and so many good takes and advice. I am very thankful for all of the input. Alot to unpack here.

I just went ahead and dropped the paralysis and went with the Cronus from Camera land. I am sure it's something we will grow into. Very excited to mount it to my 6.5 grendel and as soon as I can regen the money, a precision rifle.

Spending a lot of time reading forums here. So happy I found this place!!!!

Outstanding thread and so many good takes and advice. I am very thankful for all of the input. Alot to unpack here.

I just went ahead and dropped the paralysis and went with the Cronus from Camera land. I am sure it's something we will grow into. Very excited to mount it to my 6.5 grendel and as soon as I can regen the money, a precision rifle.

Spending a lot of time reading forums here. So happy I found this place!!!!
I almost went blind trying to decide which scope, mounts, rings, etc. A ton of knowledge here.

Congrats on the Cronus. I bought the Cronus, too.