• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb Questions

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
I've been doing a lot of reading and have reloaded my first large batch for my ar-15 and all was good. I am on to prepping now and have some questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

I popped the primers out, then sonic cleaned them. Here is my problem. The oal is good, but after I pull them out of the full length die they are then slightly over max case length? I am pretty sure sizing them is stretching them a little bit? This was new brass that I loaded and fired once. Is it normal to have to trim the necks after every shooting or one firing? I'm assuming what I should do is full size all the brass then trim all the necks? Is this correct and if so is this needed for every reload?

I made a mistake at first by lubing the necks and had some major dimples, fixed that, but i am getting one little dimple often right below the shoulder. Am I suppose to clean the die and if so are there special tools or a kit you guys would recommend? Doing my first brass prep on these so I don't mess it up when I get to my .338.

Thanks for the help guys. I know it's newb questions and I have been researching, but just need some clarification as I didn't think i would be trimming the necks after the first shot through the new brass and then the first sizing?

Re: Newb Questions

Depending on the brass and how hot the loads were,
Usually on new lake city brass I trim on the 3rd load ..

On your sizing sounds like over lubrication ,

What lube do you use?

dents sound like over lubing. a very thin coat is all ya need. as for FL resizing it is common for cases to stretch a good bit. depends a lot on how much sizing has to be done. a loose chamber will let the brass expand more which means more to be sized increasing the growth.

for what its worth, my mosins absolutely destroy brass. the chambers stretch the brass to the point that resizing dents the cases and trimming is done just about every firing. brass doesnt last long at all.

FL sizing is generally best with an AR. You may not need to trim after the initial time, but if your chamber is on the large size of tolerances and the die is minimal, frequent trimming may be needed. The dimples are usually due to excess lube. If there is inadequate lube inside the case neck, the expander ball sticking during die withdrawl can also stretch a case. I have never had to clean lube out of a die, but if you need to, make sure the first few cases after cleaning are well lubed so you do not get a case stuck.

MFH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gsxcorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> they are then slightly over max case length? I am pretty sure sizing them is stretching them a little bit? This was new brass that I loaded and fired once.... are there special tools or a kit you guys would recommend? </div></div>

1 get a chamber length gage and determine your actual chamber length , do not use the the load books OAL.

2 yes you are correct

3 no , just dont use so much lube , perhaps try hornady one shot wax so you can put a thin film of wax. Or just try using less lube.