• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb reloading for AR15 for LR Precision

Formosan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2009
Texas
I've been reloading for a couple of months using an AR15, 18" WOA barrel on a BCM upper i assembled, BCM lower with SSA-E trigger. The goal is to have a heavy bullet good for 3/4 MOA with a 10 shot group. Id like to be able to ring 8" plates at 600 yards consistently. I'm a decent shot with a bolt gun, and know it takes a little more shooting a gas gun.

Ive been load testing 10 of the more popular powders on 77gr Noslers with LC brass and half of them yield close to 1 MOA, some with a flyer. The most consistent seems to be 23.6gr of Ramshot Tact which was confirmed at 200 yards with a 10 shot group 0.9MOA horizontal spread and 2.1MOA vertical spread. This was with a volumetric dispenser and not weighing each powder load. It has worked surprisingly well, id say maybe ~95% of loads are +/- 0.08 gn if consistent with working the lever.

Now ive acquired some 69gr SMKs, 77gr SMKs, Hornady 68gr bthp, and Hornady 73gr ELDM. How do i go about testing loads on these 4 bullets without using up too many bullets. If anyone is willing to give a detail explanation on how precision is related to bullets, barrel, and powder selection, or know where one could find such information, id be very appreciative. TYIA.

Look at the top of the page of this forum (reloading forum). Theres a bunch of pinned posts that go over it all in detail.

You can also look up OCW method of load development, but that does take more bullets for that method. This is the method that yielded me my best results when I did my most recent AR load development with 75gr HPBT's.

If you're looking for a quicker method, you could use the Scott Satterlee method, but keep in mind, he stresses a lot that your precision reloading skills need to be up to par. Another option is to just replicate the Satterlee method 2-3 times to see the similarities.

And just a note on your TAC and 77 CC load. 2.1 MOA vertical spread isn't going to cut it for any precision based shooting.

Good luck, theres a TON of info on here, so read up and ask diligent questions.

Reactions: Formosan
I use Nosler 77 and 80gr CC's at 600yds, all loaded using a Hornady dispenser/meter. Some barrels don't shoot Noslers very well, and your occasional flyer is a common complaint. You shouldn't have a 2MOA group at 200yds. Best to consider switching with the77gr SMK's, all the others are good but you're reaching the point of too many bullets/powder combos.

Reactions: Formosan

I have had great results finding a node using the above method.

Reactions: Gustav7