• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newb seeking input on Battle Belts

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
I'm new to battle belts and seeking information...

I'm not new to taking formal training classes for pistol, carbine, and shotgun, but I've never worn a battle belt and it seems many trainers-instructors prefer the students wear belt rigs versus plate carrier or vest based rigs.

I already have HSG taco mag carriers for carbine & pistol mags. My pistol holsters often have Tek Lok attachments.

I'm cool with wearing padded suspenders to help support the belt's load.

1) Can most plate carriers be worn comfortably with most battle belts?

2) What factors do I need to take into account before choosing a battle belt?

3) I want the most durable gear that's also comfortable, and I'm not a weight weenie who has to have the latest tech.

4) I want the belt to be very stiff so it doesn't allow the attached gear to twist/roll outward.

5) I want it made in the USA.

Thanks in advance

These are great, big improvement from the padded outer belts. I’ve been using one for a couple years and it’s held up with no issues.

I like my Gcode belt setup.

ATS tactical. Quality US made gear.

Make sure you have a nice IFAK on there.

IF setting it up to go with a plate carrier, make sure you have clearance to draw your pistol.
Short torso people need a drop for their holster for this sometimes (read, me)

I’ve been wearing some form of “battle belt” quite some time now professionally? I don’t know that term is kinda funky, I get paid. I’ve gone through a few different iterations.

For me a two piece belt is the best option, with a Velcro loop inner belt, and a velcro hook outer. I really like my aws lab belt. Good products made by a good company with awesome customer service.

For pouches, find whatever suits you best, but don’t overload it. I keep mine with a horizontal elastic tq pouch from esstac at 1 o’clock, holster 3 (I prefer a high ride adapter as opposed to low/mid as it’s better for moving around in and out of vehicles in my opinion) med kit at 6 (I like the lbt ones and have tried a lot) they are lo pro enough to not mess with your back sitting, wearing armor etc. then I have two pistol and one rifle from 11-9 ish. You can throw a dump pouch on there behind the rifle.

If you plan on a dump pouch one thing I found is you want something with a little rigidity to it, or a half flap like the trex ones. It keeps your mags from ending up all over the damn place when you run.

Something that also works well for me, is I buy velcro one wrap off Amazon by the roll. I think the 1” but I’d have to check. Ditch the molle clips that come with whatever pouches you use, and use that instead to be able to mount your shit and have it not move around, and still keep the inner/outer belt sticky integrity or whatever you want to call it. *edit you can also use a strip of one wrap around your tek-lok as well to keep it in place and keep the belt from moving.

Anyways enough rambling for this late, feel free to pm me for pics or questions/whatever. And remember this info is worth what you paid for it.

To answer your questions:

1) Can most plate carriers be worn comfortably with most battle belts?

Yes, modern low profile/two piece belt systems are designed to work with pc’s. May have to drop the a bit holster to clear your draw.

2) What factors do I need to take into account before choosing a battle belt?

Comfort, quality, ease of use, unique features.

For example, the Axl Advanced Eclipse belt is extremely lightweight, rigid, and allows for some cool mounting options you won’t see on any other belt. But…it’s not comfortable. The plastic/tegris sides bite into your hips at times and it’s unpleasant in my experince. So I use it as more of a competition belt where I won’t be wearing it for long periods of time.

3) I want the most durable gear that's also comfortable, and I'm not a weight weenie who has to have the latest tech.

4) I want the belt to be very stiff so it doesn't allow the attached gear to twist/roll outward.

5) I want it made in the USA.

Most two piece belt systems today are more or less the same, copies or clones of the Ronin Tactics belts.
In regards to points 3-5 above, I’ll give my thoughts on a few different belt systems that might meet your criteria.

Ciguera Gear Battle Wagon - made out of scuba webbing, it’s quite stiff and also not mega expensive. You will need to use Velcro one wrap to attach your pouches. Have one, it’s a solid belt for the price.l and their Velcro inner belts are actually awesome.

Javlin Concepts belt - very similar to the Robin Tactics belt (the original molle battle belt) just with a strip of tegris sewn in to make the belt stiffer and some extra horizontal attachments points for knives or whatnot. A comfortable belt that I wore for a year. The inner belt is super basic and I replaced it with a ciguera gear Velcro inner belt.

I currently wear the Pale Horse Concepts belt system. This system (along with the Shaw Concepts belt) are the only two I’ve seen where the core of the system is a heavy duty inner belt with an outer belt sleeve that hooks into the inner belt. Pouches go on the outer belt, outer belt Velcro’s on and hooks in to the inner belt. Very very solid, very sturdy. Kinda of a pain to weave the inner belt through your pants though.

Honorable mention to the Ferro Concepts belt (if you need instagram clout) and to the many copies of the Ronin belt.

Pouches were covered by the poster above, but most guys have the same basic load. Holster with a drop hanger (True North Modular Holster Adaptor is the standard) 1-2 pistol mags, a rifle mag, TQ, IFAK, and sometimes a general purpose pouch and a dump pouch. I’m actually a big fan of the GP pouch on the belt and use it constantly. I’ll post pics of my belt kit here in a bit

IMG_4772.jpeg

From left to right:
Pale Horse Concepts pistol/gp pouch. A weird pouch that combines a gp pouch with elastic pistol mag sleeves. Works surprisingly well. Gp pouch holds multitool, batteries, pens and sharpies, lens cloth, cheat sheets (9-line, SALUTE report, GRG, etc) and I can dump other shit in it as needed.

Pale Horse rifle mag pouch. Pretty basic

Spiritus Systems Just a Pouch - rear compartment can hold a radio, rifle mag and pistol mag, basically whatever. Flapped compartment holds chemlights, small notebook, and a smoke/PLRF/whatever.

Coyote STOMP pouch - IFAK. A bit bulky at first but lay the interior out correctly and it’s not a bother when in a vehicle. Holds a full ifak, some smaller IFAKs (Ferro Roll 1 for example) won’t hold enough. I run a supplemental IFAK on my carrier too

Safariland holster on a True North MHA - Some guys chop down the MHA for my comfort in a vehicle but due to my height it doesn’t bother me. Leg strap is mandatory with the MHA though otherwise you can snag your draw easily.

Coyote TQ holder - self explanatory. Avoid the TQ holders with split elastic sections as they can snag.

Glove hook is somewhere, not pictured.

Big fan of GP pouches on belt and on kit. You will always need a notebook and pens/map markers. Having the ability to carry whatever when needed is never a bad thing. Your use case will vary of course, and you can simply leave the pouches empty when not needed.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
An increasing number of people are moving away from the classic "battle belt" and using standard duty sized belts with molle.

I've run many belts professionally for a couple decades. I can say that of all the belts I've worn Jones Tactical is the best and easily the most stiff. He uses double layer scuba webbing. And they will last longer than any of us will be alive. Prior to him added the molle option, I ran the "Fat Zombie" duty belt which is the same as below, but no molle. It held up 10 years being worn daily in rough environments. I still have it and if you were to clean all the dust/dirt, it would still look new.

As far as load out, be mindful of what your purpose is and also your habits.

For example, I keep my carbine mags on my armor. As if I'm using the rifle, I'm wearing the armor by default. So it makes sense to keep the mags there. I don't always wear that armor, so I keep an IFAK on my belt. As an IFAK is completely worthless if you can't reach it at any time.

For armor and clearance issues, unless you absolutely need as much of your body protected as possible, get something like a Crye JPC and shooter/swimmer cut plates. No side plates. That will give you maximum mobility and clearance. Don't drop your holster lower unless you actually need it there to clear your armor/gear. Lots of tactical timmy out there rocking a thigh strap that isn't needed.

Lead devil makes a solid belt system. Wear mine several times a week for work and it holds everything in place and is remarkably comfortable, especially with all the crap on my belt.

I havent run many belts but i do love the Ronin Senshi, its two piece belt, and takes one hell of a beating with zero issues. My plate carrier is a Crye AVS - built in the Brooklyn Navy yard in NY - like the Ronin takes a beating without issue. The AVS is a modular system which is great, but its also expensive because everything is sold separately. Feel free sending a DM if you want to discuss specifics. Links for both below (if against board rules, mods please remove the links).

Reactions: Simonsza1
Ronin for sure. My friend just got the gbrs belt and it’s very nice also.

I opted for the bluealpha when upgrading my belt. But I still cannot find a comfortable ifak/tourniquet pouch that works with it.

1712882948243.png

Train like you fight.

I don't carry 50 pounds of shit on my belt. The rest of the crap stays in a bag behind the line.

Yes, this is what I wear to training classes.

Sometimes something like this
1712883226763.png

View attachment 8394603

Train like you fight.

I don't carry 50 pounds of shit on my belt. The rest of the crap stays in a bag behind the line.

Yes, this is what I wear to training classes.

Sometimes something like this
View attachment 8394608

This is a good point. If all you ever do is wear your "battle belt" or normal belt loaded out.....to the range or classes......you're not doing yourself much good. Unless it's something like a SHTF load out and you practice with it quite often.

But if you just take a class every once in a blue moon and take a loaded belt, but then toss it in the closet until the next class in three years......you're basically just LARPing with live ammo every now and then.

I use a First Spear Line One synthetic belt with an HSGI one wrap pistol mag taco and a Safariland UBS holster mid ride holster thing. Anything else goes on a chest rig.

LARPing with live ammo
That's really all it is.

I'm not a training junkie. Don't need to be as I can take training once or twice then develop myself from there.

The few times I've gone to a defensive oriented pistol class I use concealment and a practice gun. I have one mag pouch on aiwb and extra mags in my back pockets.

The majority of the time I see people larping with these belts is when they show up to a match. The amount of shit hanging from those belts is ridiculous. I've seen giant knives, emt scissors, enormous dump bags, rifle magazines (lol at a pistol match), and holsters with ridiculous drop, offset, three locks, and that gay leg strap. None of which they wear day to day. It's just that urban warrior fantasy.

Most everyone at a match has a FAK. It's in a range bag, off our waist, and a few seconds away. It's not needed on the belt.

The point of this is: there are more effective ways to spend 200 - 300 training dollars. Ammo to begin with.

Last edited:
1) As long as your holster isn’t on a high-ride belt attachment, you should be fine. Don’t go thigh-holster; they’re not ideal for athletic movement, and you end up with inconsistent draw because the gun moves with your leg, not your hips.

2) I’m not sure there are many bad options anymore, outside of the CCP produced crap on Amazon. Any reputable US company making EDC belts/Duty belts will make good stuff. It’s all just personal preference.

3) 4) 5) My personal choice;

I’ve used this for the past year. Best duty belt I’ve ever had (experience with SafeLife, Blue Alpha, Kore, and an early Shellback Tactical belt that was surprisingly good quality). It’s also a pretty good deal compared to others in this market.

I combined it with their 2” inner belt for extra security for work (hook/loop interface), but you could pair with a Blue Alpha Belt pad if you don’t want to be forced to use an inner belt. My combo is rock solid and extremely comfortable. The Tegris material is very stiff, and the hidden MOLLE is very functional and holds it’s shape well. My belt holds a Streamlight stinger, BFG Micro TKN, OC, baton, two sets of cuffs, keys, and a mid-ride Safariland holster/handgun. Even with all that weight, it has zero sag when worn but still manages to flex and move with the body comfortably.