• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie 700 SPS Tactical question

ponchonorm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2009
Whiteside County, Illinois
First off, Would like to say this site and the members have been a wealth of information in my research into getting into bolt guns.
Two weeks ago i picked up a 700 SPS Tactical .223. Last night instead of watching WE tv with the wife i headed to the man cave to do the initial cleaning of said rifle. After cleaning i took a dummy round and chambered it. When i ejected it, the case had a gouge in it going from just below the neck to the bottom. Thinking it might just be my dummy round i took a new factory round and the same thing.
Is this a common problem? Can i do something to fix it? I'm guessing its just a burr. Or should i pack it up and ship it back to Remington and wait forever and a day to get it back? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance............Ponchonorm

Re: Newbie 700 SPS Tactical question

does it do that every time in the same place on the brass?

Are you feeding the round from the mag or just single loading? Also, when I check for seating deapths on my rifles, It will leave a gouge on the bullet when the extractor drags the round out along the side of the ejection port just before it comes out. Might want to look at both. Welcome to the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does it do that every time in the same place on the brass? </div></div>

Yes, same place. I looked at it again and the lip above where its sits in the mag is doing it. When the bolt goes forward and strips it out that edge is gouging it pretty good. I'm guessing it would be ok to get in there and smooth that out a bit with some emery paper?

Sure would, You could also go so far as to remove enough metel to where it never touched the mag.

The emery cloth sounds like a good idea opposed to waiting ten years to getting your rifle back from Remington. you may have to keep an eye on the bare spot you'll create, might rust a little.

-Pat

Thanks for all the replies so far. I will get in there and do some touching up. Looks like they didn't finish out the cut towards the front of the mag opening. There is a small sharp bump right above where the feed ramp meets the mag. Was a machinist in my former life and the quality of work on this gun sure is lacking.

Just be carefull when chambering live ammunition in the house. You don't want an accidental discharge that kills someone in your home or a neighboring house. If I need to chamber live ammo,I remove the firing pin from the weapon and then check that none of the ammo has a high primer sticking out.

yea try filing that down and when you get it where you want it get you some touch up paint for car paint touch ups and cover that bare spot up to prevent rust.

Try filling out your profile as well. Welcome to the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try filling out your profile as well. Welcome to the Hide. </div></div>

Thanks diggler. Filled out my profile for ya
laugh.gif

Expect quality to be lacking somewhat on a rifle that retails below $600.00. Even so it should shoot .75 to.5 moa right out of the box with match ammo. That was not readily obtainable years ago even when quality was better.

Although not a thing of beauty, it's quite an engineering accomplishment when you think about it.

Sherlok