• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Here, Thoughts on this setup?

faulk175

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
NC
This is my first post. I registered on the site a few months ago and have been lurking around, learning as much as I can. While not new to rifle shooting, I am pretty cherry to the bolt gun side of the house. Almost all of my rifle experience is with ARs. I am looking to punch paper out to around 500 and will probably also use this rifle to hunt deer and hog in the future. My thoughts were Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with a VX-R patrol. From what I've read so far, the stock on these rifles isn't the greatest. I plan to eventually upgrade but right now, I feel like I should be spending my money on ammo and getting as much range time as possible. Does this setup sound like a good choice for what I want to do? Thanks.

Re: Newbie Here, Thoughts on this setup?

I started out with an off the shelf Remington 700 and ended up changing out everything except the action. If I were you, I'd piece together what I wanted from the get go. It does take a while unless you have to $$ to get it all at once. When you're done, you have the rig you wanted and can proceed to shoot the hell out of it. You'll get different opinions on this matter but that's what I would do.

I've been on the sidelines for 4 months while my parts have been put together. Now, I'll have to go back and re-train myself because of my upgrades. Wish I could've done this from the beginning. Your results may vary

I'm just "getting into" this long range stuff, myself. From an "investment" approach: I just got a Rem. 5R, 308. Out of the box, it's a nice shooter. If, and when, I go for the "Nice custom" rifle, I think I can sell the 5R, for near what I paid. i'm expecting that the "Nice" rifle will never be sold, by me, at least. I've seen customs go for half their value, just because most people don't "understand" the value of a custom. I plan on shooting the 5R until I "learn", and understand what makes a good gun. Just my thoughts.

I think it's a great choice for someone getting started. I started with SPS Tactical in 308. Put a Sightron SIII on it and shot it in F-T/R (300, 500 and 600) for over a year. In that time I didn't change out anything just shot and learned. Finally decided I was shooting as well as that rifle would allow and needed to upgrade. Instead of changing out parts on the SPS I just ordered something new. Mine was a great shooting rifle right out of the box, couldn't see getting rid of it.

sps tactical will get you started for sure. plus they are a good platform to build on.

I started my adventure the same way you speak of. Now, I've got buku $ invested. Looking back I should have simply ordered a custom rifle and been done with it. That being said, I have learned a lot about what I like and need and what I do not. The primary one being having my rifle chambered in 260 Remington and using a less expensive and lighter .308 for hunting. 6.5mm cartridges are excellent for target shooting.

With regard to optics, I have not handled the VX-R Patrol but you should be good as long as your reticle and turrets match. MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. There are better optics out there but I feel that the VX-R is a good start.

I started out with the SPS tactical in 308. Great choice and definately a good action to build on IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: faulk175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to punch paper out to around 500 and will probably also use this rifle to hunt deer and hog in the future. My thoughts were Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with a VX-R patrol. </div></div>

I've only read about hog hunting in American Hunter, but your scope seems like a good compromise between getting out to 500 yds and still having the FOV desired for that type of hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: faulk175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've read so far, the stock on these rifles isn't the greatest. I plan to eventually upgrade but right now, I feel like I should be spending my money on ammo and getting as much range time as possible. </div></div>

IMO, the best bang for the buck upgrade is an aftermarket trigger. If you get a Timney, you can install it yourself with an allen wrench, soft hammer, a punch, and needlenose pliers. It's easy to get into outfitting a Rem700 with all sorts of bells and whistles (I did). However, the new trigger and range time has definitely helped me out the most. Do you reload? Reloading in .308 will save you lots of money and you'll get to make the loads that suit your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: faulk175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does this setup sound like a good choice for what I want to do? Thanks. </div></div>

If it was me, I would go with the Rem700 5R milspec in .308 vice the SPS. It's a good compromise between a factory vs custom gun setup. In terms of all the money you'll spend on ammo and going to the range, the small extra upfront investment is well worth the cost. You'll be pleased with it's performance, which is really the name of the game. Go ahead and scour the web ... you'll find many other reputable sources that will say the same thing (e.g., http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/)

Thanks for the replies.

Pete Sake- I agree that there are better optics out there but I was trying to stay in the $600 ball park and similar magnification range. Anything specific that you recommend?

LT JGB- Thanks for the breakdown and the link.

Anyone else?