• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie here...who to buy my 1st rifle from?

jbp7hl

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2020
CSTX
Ok I’m just starting and going with the typical newbie 6.5 in a tikka CTR or bergara HMR but I’m not sure who is the preferred dealer.

I’m in central Texas and all of my local shops have nothing.

Is there an online dealer that y’all recommend?

excited about this site and getting started, thanks for the help.

to me its all up to you and what you want i went to mile high shooting they gave me a what I call a fair price on the build I wanted and for what I asked for talked me through the process and explained how long it would take not long at all and I got the rifle i wanted very nice people great to work with and i can't wait to do my next build with them again even though I have to wait a bit longer this time .Good luck with your build or buy may it prove to be an even better shooter than you wanted .

Well I’m looking for probably 300 yard shots on typical Texas game. Coyote, whitetail, and HOG.

I also want to learn to reach a little further out there.

I was going to suggest KyGun. Have bought a couple rifles from them online. Prices were competitive and service was very good.
Unfortunately, looks like they are back ordered, too!

one in the px right now for $775. Also finding ammo right now is tough.

Found it.

rounds though is 690 (that an issue?), stock is new. I think I am looking for stainless but I’m looking at it.

thanks for the lead codiekfx400

Last edited:
690 shots fired is not a problem. Since ctr rifles are out of stock everywhere I would buy that one if it was me.

Hello from North TX. Texas Gun Trader is just a bunch of over priced ammo right now but some local retailers like Scheels in the Colony still have nice rifles to choose from. Last I was there they had some Bergaras, RPR, Christensen Arms and even a Barrett M107 if you ready wanna go all out on your first gun but it my be overkill for 300yds

6.5 ammo is almost non existant now. May make more sense to buy a 308 now and you can rebarrel it to 6.5cm later on once ammo is available. Up to 500 yards there is little difference between 6.5cm and 308. You will save more on ammo currently than a rebarrel will cost if you shoot much.

Quick update

I found and pulled the trigger on a NIB ctr 24” stainless in 6.5cm for $970 before ship,tax, and transfer fees.

now I need a brake, bipod, scope and rings, is the stock rail ok? What else. What brands and models of these accessories?

I think I’ll shoot the stock....stock? before I upgrade, thoughts?

Thanks for the help, I’m stoked.

Reactions: VDVSNIPER
@jbp7hl

Congrats on the new rifle. They are great factory guns. Mine loves 140 gr eld-m. Will not be easy to find in bulk for a bit but not too picky.

I liked the ctr stock rail. If you keep it, you’ll want to buy rings or a mount with some moa cant built in. I like the burris xtr signature rings.

Some people hate the factory stock. I really don’t mind it. If you want to change it, alot of people like the KRG Bravo for it. I do recommend a good stock pack to get a better cheek weld. Triad Tactical makes nice ones.

Scope really depends on your budget and application. We’d need some of that info to make a good recommendation.

Starting out, a harris bipod is all you really need. Anything more is a cherry on top, imo.

Alot of people really enjoy the Area 419 brakes.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

Last edited:
Thanks German...

I read about a 10 dollar trigger spring for the CTR, Is that something I should look into?

who is the manufacturer? Is it YoDave?

@jbp7hl not sure if i was being referred to as a muppet. But super conscious of how my post read n. Was just trying to be helpful as the ctr was my intro into long range.

my bad @TheGerman

yes, the yo-dave trigger spring is supposed to help lighten the stock tikka trigger. However, my stock trigger adjusted to 1.5 lbs without the spring and that’s as low as i wanted to go. That said, i have a spring i’d be happy to send you for free. Never installed.

You can get an upgraded trigger from M Carbo also. Mine was pretty sweet for the price.

Ok I’m just starting and going with the typical newbie 6.5 in a tikka CTR or bergara HMR but I’m not sure who is the preferred dealer.

I’m in central Texas and all of my local shops have nothing.

Is there an online dealer that y’all recommend?

excited about this site and getting started, thanks for the help.
Scheels

Gunbroker, but only trust a FFL dealer there, not an individual seller unless they have lots of positive ratings

@CHILL52 not sure on the muppet comment, I assume because of my highly recognizable level of rookieism and probably going down a path “typical for a starter.”

None the less I appreciate the help.

sounds like the yodave isn’t that much different than the original, I’ll just give the original a go once I receive it and get it set up.

Bipod ordered from @Precision Shooters today.

and scored a JetBlast Brake from PVA

Last edited:
Interstate Guns was excellent to work with when trying to get an OOS Tikka TAC A1, good price, excellent comms and ship extremely quickly.

Prime ammo will make you some nice ammo. It costs a bit more than alternatives, but then again you can’t buy alternatives right now. Prim also supposedly make pretty reliable stuff. If I run out before 140 ELD’s come back in stock, I’ll switch to it.