• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbie looking for recommendations

dh80

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2021
Oklahoma
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bolt
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting & Target
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 300-600 yds, 100-300 yds, under 100 yds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? focus below 50 yds, mil or moa, weight, etc.)
  • What is the price range you can afford? Under $2000 to include scope mounts

I am look for some help as I have been searching the web, LGS’s and Cabelas/Bass Pro for weeks and have really confused myself more than anything. I am a newbie to rifle shooting (Have shot AR’s lately and 22’s growing up at cans and bottles) who is getting into hunting and target shooting. My only person experience with scopes have really just been with my Vortex StrikeEagle LPVO on my AR. I bought a Tikka T3X CTR in 308 for myself for peering hunting and target shooting (probably just paper right now). I am looking for a scope I can take deer hunting with good low light and nighttime visibility. Deer can also be anywhere from 50-200 yds in the hunting area I visit with family. Target shooting at ranges i frequent range up to 200 yards but could go to ranges up to 600-1000 yds eventually in the Daylight.

Problem is my eyes are bigger than my wallet as I have recently put together a Tikka T1X for my daughter. I need to stay under $2000 including scope mounts (would also like recommendations). Would like FFP but think my budget and reality of use would be fine with SFP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I’ve gotta throw this out there, as Arken Optics has an awesome sale going on right now for their SH4 line. SH4 6-24x50 MIL scope with the shooters combo pack with scope rings, caps, throw lever, bubble level, shooters pack, patch, stickers, and cleaning cloth, and helping support the Navy Seals Foundation, all for under $350!!

Reactions: AutoBolt308
You’d be fine starting out with a Bushnell LRHS or LRTSi you’d find used here.

You will want illumination.

Other option is a used vortex AMG

Thanks for the responses. I've seen the Bushnell LRHS and LRTSi recommended but figured they were no longer for sale by Bushnell. Didn't know if the Arken would be good in low light.

I do not know if it matters but I did not Google or read the manual and started screwing the front screw down that's intentionally left raised on the rail. I unscrewed it within five minutes but the front of the rail still didn't go down completely flat. I do not think it will matter but I ordered a Area 419 20 MOA rail to replace the factory one.

If you use it primarily for hunting and then sometimes target shooting, I suggest you take a look at Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15 either 42 or 50. If I am building a hunting rig, I would want 42mm as it is lighter.

I’ve gotta throw this out there, as Arken Optics has an awesome sale going on right now for their SH4 line. SH4 6-24x50 MIL scope with the shooters combo pack with scope rings, caps, throw lever, bubble level, shooters pack, patch, stickers, and cleaning cloth, and helping support the Navy Seals Foundation, all for under $350!!
I second this. Very good scope for the money. Worst case scenario, it helps you discover the features you want in a scope with out a big money outlay and you use it on a different gun later.

Reactions: z71rat and dh80
OP, thank you for all the up front information as that really helps. Take a look at the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50 - the illuminated model. These are great scopes for the price. Also look at used NF NX8 2.5-20x50. Both of these fit your price range with rings. I would stay away from Chinese made scopes as I don’t like supporting the CCP, but I do own an Athlon Helos that is quite impressive, but your price range allows you to look at some fine Japanese mfr scopes.

Reactions: dh80 and YotaEer
I have a couple of SFP scopes that are pretty nice for hunting and don't break the bank. The Trijicon Credo HX and the Ziess Conquest V4.

not hunting deer at night. sun rise and sun set
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight, Nighttime
Just reading what you posted.

• What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight, Nighttime
Just reading what you posted.
Thanks for reading what i posted and I guess i was trying to get it posted so quickly that i was assuming sunset with nighttime. I corrected it.

Last edited:
I have a couple of SFP scopes that are pretty nice for hunting and don't break the bank. The Trijicon Credo HX and the Ziess Conquest V4.
Ive been looking at the Zeiss Conquest V4 but get indecisive when i compare it with Swarovski Z5. I found a used NXS with Nightforce rings but there is a noticeable difference when looking through it and other scopes like Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. Ill have to look more at the Trijicons.

Reactions: sawman556
Ive been looking at the Zeiss Conquest V4 but get indecisive when i compare it with Swarovski Z5. I found a used NXS with Nightforce rings but there is a noticeable difference when looking through it and other scopes like Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. Ill have to look more at the Trijicons.
I would opt for the V6 series, if you can spring a bit more than your $2000 mark, including rings.

That being said, you can get a brand new "used" (demo) Zeiss V6 3-18x50 for $1,500 at Redhawk Rifles. Still has the full factory warranty, because it was never purchased and never registered by anyone, or shot on a gun. Just mounted and handled by customers.

Which gives you enough cash to get some good rings, like Seekins Precision or the new Zeiss Ultralight rings w/ a built-in level. I would opt for the 30mm rings in the low height (0.850")

Used 4-16 ATACR in the PX for about $1800

Demo Non-illuminated Mark 5 3.6-18 from EuroOptic for $1500

Illuminated Burris XTR3 from Liberty Optics for about half of your budget.

those are some great buys. Thanks for the recommendations
The Zeiss V6 3-18x50 that I linked you to above, is 100% built in Germany. $1500 is a fairly inexpensive way to get your foot in the door for real German glass. 👍🏼

Yes that Zeiss V6 is very tempting as is the Mark 5HD. Im going to have to sleep on it and grab one in the morning. Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

Id go new I dislike buying someone else's problems arken has a hell of a deal going on at there home page
it's only a 6x24 but it's a good one and cheap while on sale
a lot of scope for 300.00 .

Reactions: z71rat
Id go new I dislike buying someone else's problems arken has a hell of a deal going on at there home page
it's only a 6x24 but it's a good one and cheap while on sale
a lot of scope for 300.00 .
The OP is better off taking @Glassaholic advice and getting a Burris or NF - I replaced my Arken SH4 GenII 6-24x50 with a Burris XTRIIIi 3.3-18x50 and here is why.

1. Glass is so much better
2. Eyebox is way better
3. Optical clarity does not suffer past 400yds.
4. I have not noticed any CA on the Burris - the Arken is horrible on the edge of white targets and has it at higher magnification.

Arken has it's good points but I highly doubt it would serve the OP's needs.

Reactions: dh80 and Rebels010
Yes, I'm still racking my brain over this. Its still mainly between the Zeiss V6 and Mark 5HD. Trying to decide between FFP and SFP between the two. Either one would really do the trick. After shooting the Bushnell Match Pro I put on my daughters rifle I like the magnification for target shooting but know its not needed for hunting. So now I'm also starting to looking hard at the NX8 4-32 also. To many choices and I know im really hindering myself trying to do two things with one rifle.

Reactions: adubeau
These Bushnell are around $1000 (?) Last time I checked. I like the illum G3 reticle a lot.

Attachments

• 20221011_230221.jpg
    20221011_230221.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: dh80