• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Needs Some Advice

TapoutSniper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
North Carolina
First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. I have been hunting for several years now and have seriously considered getting into some long range shooting type events. I just have no idea where to start. I already have reloading equipment and have no problem creating an accurate load. I am by no means working with the best equipment but I can consistently churn out 1/2" groups at 100 yards. As far as the shooting goes I can handle that. I've been shooting long enough that I know what it takes to shoot consistent groups. Just to satisfy my curiosity I set up a quick range out to 600 yards last weekend. I quickly roughed in my scope all the way out to 600 yards. What I mean is I now have a rough idea of how many elevation clicks I have to go up to adjust my poi at each yardage. At 600 yards I could hit a 14" wheel laying flat about 85-90% of the time. I realize a lot of my error was from not having much experience reading wind and just pure lack of experience shooting at that extended range. But overall I was fairly happy with my first "long range" experience. What do I do now? How can I improve my skills further? I'm located about an hour north of Charlotte, NC. Are there any clubs nearby? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Newbie Needs Some Advice

There are places around you just start goggling for them. Gastonia has a sniper challange. Get your dope from 100 to 1000y or however far out you can shot. Read up on reading wind and mirage. The elevations will come easy it's the wind that you have to read and learn.

The main thing it but rounds down range and record what happens. (keep records of temp, time of day, clear to hazzy, target in direct sun or in the shadows).

Get on the training thread it's only a few buck a month and we'll teach you what you need to know.

Re: Newbie Needs Some Advice

TPS
First get to some matches, that is the best place to learn. I hear guys say, they will pratice first. Till you shoot matches you really dont know what to pratice for. shooting stuff laying on the ground does not give a good picture of just how good the shot was. there are many places in NC to shoot long range.(400+)yards. with a scope your looking at F class. I would suggest F class TR, rifle has to be a 5.56 or 7.62, must be fired off a bi pod. ranges are 600 and 800 some 1000 yard also. I shoot XTC that is 200 standing, 200 sitting, 300 prone rapid fire, and 600 prone slow fire. all unsuppoeted and iron sights. I also do f class and sniper shoot. We have matches at our club here in Fayetteville out to 300 yards, targets are never over 1 moa and most time smaller. I also open the 1000 yard range on bragg and we shoot there as well. We ask everyone wnating to shoot with us at the long range match to fire our short course at the club range first. you will not believe how many come out with out a zero! the bragg shoot is for our shooters firing the sniper matches at the club. also for XTC shooters. You are welcome to come down and shoot with us here. we have matches at the club on the first sat. of each month. our next bragg shoot is on the 14th of nov.

Camp bunter has long range also. state shooting club.
email me and ill send you a list of places to shoot
ric