• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie primer question

rockn30809

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2009
GA
Can one brand primer be substituted for another without adjusting powder charge?

Re: Newbie primer question

Some anal guys will tell you to start a little low and work back up, I'm not that guy but maybe should be.

For safety, I'd load maybe 3 rounds, 1.5, 1 and .5 grains under current. Shoot them each and look for pressure, the 4th round would be my standard load and I'd just go from there. Unless you were already at the very max load, getting pressure signs when it's warm, etc then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not saying that for accuracys sake you won't need to adjust your charge a hair, maybe .1 or .2 grains one way or another, but as far as safety goes it's been my experience that primer change won't make a load go from safe to extremely dangerous.

I would say as long as your not already at max load and/or somehwere between you will be fine. But if you are at max you need to back off a least a couple of grains to check. Some primers run hotter than others causing a pressure spike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say as long as your not already at max load and/or somehwere between you will be fine. But if you are at max you need to back off a least a couple of grains to check. Some primers run hotter than others causing a pressure spike. </div></div>

+1... I agree.

I'm testing 45g varget, 150 sgk and LC brass 2.800 OAL. I switched from Federal to CCI benchrest...there was like a 50 fps increase.

So ya, whatever thats worth to ya...