• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie question 6.5 creedmoor

NewsShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2011
Started long range shooting last year with a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. I got a press for Christmas and finally purchased everything I needed to reload for it. Loaded up five rounds of each charge weight from 41.4 to 42.9 of H4350 in increments of .3 grains with a 140 amax. They were loaded to the same length as the factory ammo. Shot them at 300 yards with the best groups coming from 41.7 and 42.9. 41.7 was just over an inch with one flier I knew that I pulled. The only thing I thought was odd is that it shot about 4 inches lower than the factory ammo. I didn't chrono them, just wanted to see how they would group. I'm new to reloading and LR shooting so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 41.7group.jpg
    41.7group.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 8
From what I understand, Hornady performs pressure testing for each given lot of H4350 and then adjusts the powder charge accordingly. Which, if you were to pull a factory round apart and weigh the powder charge, you may see that it's +or- what is listed on the box.

That could be the reason you are seeing a difference in your loads..... Basically, Hornady tells you what to use and gives a good starting point. The rest is on you.

I understand the pressure testing and expected to see differences, I guess I didn't expect to see it 4 inches lower. Even 42.9 was was only a smidge higher on the target. I guess my question is should I just ignore that it's lower POI and move forward with a nice node at 41.7? I still need to play with seating depth as well. I was just trying to use one of the cases from the loads fired this morning and a hand seated bullet to determine the distance from the lands. It appears that I'm jumping the factory load .066.

Box says 2700 fps. They shoot 2820 out of mine. You load to their specs and your mv will be a lot lower. I know because I did the same thing. I don't know why. Just does