• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Question on Concentricity Equipment

markefuller

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I currently use the Redding competition seater die, but I currently do not have any gages to measure runout.

I have had my eye on the Hornady Ammunition Concentricity Gage, but I called Hornady yesterday and they said it will not be released until July, 2009. It is the only gage I have seen advertised to correct runout, if you can trust the advertising.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=794

My question is, what other methods are there to correct runout besides this?

Thanks for helping.

Re: Newbie Question on Concentricity Equipment

Bersin also makes a tool that is much better built:
http://www.bersin.info/english/startseite_e/startseite.htm

To me it makes more sense to correct your loading process so that you don't get runout in the first place than it does to try and force bullets back into alignment. I'm quite happy with my Forster Case Inspector.

I have the Bersin tool and I'm not completely sold on it. I feel that to straighten the bullet out and remove any concentricity, it stretches out the neck in some areas, but not equally. I use it when I'm bored and have time to kill. I think it is better to refine ones reloading steps, use quality equipment and materials and a little care.
myerfire

As a newbie, what's your rifle and other stuff consist of including what you're loading (and what for)?

Reason I ask, don't get to worried about concentricity if you're using good gear like the Redding Comp seater. I've never measures runout, just use good reloading techniques and I can get all my good rifles to shoot under .5 moa with the right load. There are soooo many more steps I'd take before worrying to much about that.

I'm not saying it's not a concern, but depending on how newbie you really are, you may be spending your time on a little thing when a bigger thing may be lurking out there. Also, I seat most things into the lands, this helps some I feel since the bullet doesn't have to jump straight into the lands....it's already there.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Bersin tool and I'm not completely sold on it. I feel that to straighten the bullet out and remove any concentricity, it stretches out the neck in some areas, but not equally.</div></div>

Do you have the ability to measure neck runout? I'm curious to know how bad that neck stretching is...

Jason,

Its important that things are aligned and straight in the chamber to begin with. Seating into the lands won't help you if the bullet isn't straight. The bullet is going to be pushed into the lands when pressure starts to build anyway since this requires less force than expanding the case.

A lot of the reasons behind doing certain case operations and using certain equipment is the idea that these help give you better concentricity (and other things). If you have the ability to measure something, you may find that certain steps are not needed and other equipment works just as well even though there is a popular belief that it doesn't or shouldn't. Just a thought... in the end its only the results on the paper that matter.

jasonk said:
As a newbie, what's your rifle and other stuff consist of including what you're loading (and what for)? /quote]

Factory Savage Model 10FP .308
Reloading with: Redding Bibg Boss II, Redding Match S FL sizer, Competition Seater, Wilson/Sinclair Lathe trimmer, RCBS Chargemaster, CED M2 Chronograph, Lapua Brass, Hornady 168gr A-Max bullets, along with an assortment of smaller tools such as Tumbler, headspace and OAL gages, uniformers, etc.

I am lacking neck tools ( micrometer, neck turning, and concentricity).

Also have lots of books, including Zedikers and Dave Brennans.

Loading for target shooting mainly for now. Best 5-shot group so far is .75", of course I think there is more on my shooting skills to work on.

I find reloading a fun hobby, so taking the time to perfect it is no problem for now just starting out, although I am starting to get an itch for a Gracey or Giraud trimmer after a few hundred rounds on the Wilson trimmer.

The Sinclair Concentricity Gauge is very popular. It tells you about the quality of your components and whether your loading tools are doing their job. It won't correct anything like the Bersin and Hornady.

Generally, there is little benefit to turning brass for a factory chamber.

You can't go wrong with the Sinclair gauge. I have one and it is the best money I've ever spent on reloading equipment. It will tell you if your reloading dies are doing what they are susposed to do. The next thing you need is the best reloading dies you can afford. If you want benchrest quality loads you need to load with benchrest dies.
IMHO
larryj

If your ammo is non-concentric, whether bullet or case, the gauge will help you identify the source. Straightening bad ammo is not a solution. Finding the problem and correcting it, whether material, tool or process, is the proper method.

The Bersin won't allow you to measure RO on necks will it? Looks to me it just measures TIR of the seated projectile....