• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing newbie question on elk rifle

brknshk

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
redmond, oregon
hey guys im new to the 45-70 round, i recently bought one to go hunt elk with this year. does anyone here have experience with the 45-70 and would it be a better round than my 7mm rem mag as far as hunting elk with? ive heard horror stories from my buddies about elk soaking up lead and i dont want to have to track for 3 days if i hit one with my 308 or 7mm. is this stuff true they tell me? any opinions would be great, i have hornady leverevolution rounds for my 45 70 right now. they are 325gr ftx with muzzle vel at 2050 fps and how far out do you guys think this round would be effective to?

Re: newbie question on elk rifle

I really wouldn't listen to them. Practice with either rifle and know their respective limitations as well as your own and both will kill an elk. They are not bullet proof.

I don't know what kind of elk these people are shooting but I've had the opposite response. Most of the elk I have shot or have seen shot either went down or trotted over about 20 yards and stood there acting sick (allowing another shot). A deer on the other hand will run till he dies. I have seen 3 elk shot with a 243 that dropped in their tracks. A 7mm is more than enough. Probably safer with 7mm, it will reach out further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wouldn't listen to them. Practice with either rifle and know their respective limitations as well as your own and both will kill an elk. They are not bullet proof. </div></div>

+1, either of the two rifles you mentioned are plenty gun to stop an elk, IF the shot is put in the right spot.

scan0027.jpg

Hit them right and you will own them...this bull was killed with a .220 swift at 150 yards broadside. It was the only rifle I had with me as I was out running traps and calling coyotes(1989). I dont promote the use of a swift on elk...just saying shot placement is the most important factor in killing anything.

BTW, .22 centerfires are legal to use for big game hunting here in Montana.

I would make the choice based on what type of terrain you will be hunting in. If is in thick trees and brush, the 45-70 will help you get off a quick shot, and you won't have to worry about its limited range. If you are hunting in open country, a scoped 7mm would probably be a better choice.

And ability with the rifle, derived from practice, is much more important than which one you take with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hit them right and you will own them...this bull was killed with a .220 swift at 150 yards broadside</div></div>

I was the XO of A co 2/297th Inf, an AK NG Eskimo unit on St Lawarence. I watched on of the guys at Gambell shoot a polar bear with a 220 Swift. Hit it in the neck and it went right down. It worked but not for me. I'd consider something a bit bigger if I was hunting something that may eat me.

As said above whatever gun you are most comfortable with...again longer ranges denote the 7mm over the 45-70. Lots of guys shoot and kill elk with 7mm mags in AZ. 308s have also killed just as many elk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive heard horror stories from my buddies about elk soaking up lead</div></div>

The key word there is "story." Sounds like a lot of nuts behinds the trigger.

The 45-70 will drop like a rock after a short distance. It will still have plenty of energy but ballistically efficient it is not.

If those are you only 2 rifles your job is easy. Pick the most accurate one and learn to shoot it.

I love the "stories" of how you need the superearsplittenloudenboomer super magnum to hunt Elk.

If you hunt with them, hunt the other way. Sound like they throw lead instead of place it accurately.

Either gun will work fine. I shoot the same bullet as your 40-70 out of my muzzleloader at 1950fps and would not hesitate to shoot an elk with it out to around 250yds provided I got a good angle.

Either gun will work find at typical hunting ranges, the 7mm will stretch out beyond most people's ability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brknshk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys im new to the 45-70 round, i recently bought one to go hunt elk with this year. does anyone here have experience with the 45-70 and would it be a better round than my 7mm rem mag as far as hunting elk with? ive heard horror stories from my buddies about elk soaking up lead and i dont want to have to track for 3 days if i hit one with my 308 or 7mm. is this stuff true they tell me? any opinions would be great, i have hornady leverevolution rounds for my 45 70 right now. they are 325gr ftx with muzzle vel at 2050 fps and how far out do you guys think this round would be effective to? </div></div>
A 308 or 7MM would both be a great round for the same distance as the 45-70. I used to live in Bend only twleve miles from you so the real question is if you are hunting eastern part of the state or the west towards the coast. That will let me know what gun you should take. Eastern has some shots that can leave you without a kill if you took the 45-70 giving that some of the shots are around 400 yards and more. In that case I would take the 7mm. If you are hunting along the coast bring the 7mm or 308 along with the 45-70. Get into some thicker brush and take the 45-70 which up to 200 yards is prime but a 308 with an 185 grain thick skin bullet will do just fine. My brother shot an elk a couple of years ago at 270 yards with a 270 165 grain bullet. took out both lungs. Shot placement is always a bigger issue than what caliber. Choose the right bullets for the job and site your rifle to that round before the season and you will be set. I always take my 7mm magnum for deer and elk due to the seasons being at the same time here. The 308 is a great round also but I would not shoot anything past 550 yards. Good luck!

A single 7mm/175 grain Nosler Partition through the chest did a fine job on this Wyoming bull:
Elk7mm.jpg

I like the .45/70, particularly in a Marlin lever gun, but the rainbow trajectory makes it more difficult to use at longer ranges. For elk, most "deer rifles" well handled and using quality bullets will suffice. Shot placement is the key.

Regards, Guy