• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbie Question - Scopes and Reticle Styles

p712k

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Jax, FL
I just bought a Remington 700 PSS that I need to be a general purpose bolt gun, for hunting as well as (god forbid) tactical (SHTF) use. I am a newbie to precision rifles but have plenty of trigger time on ARs and other tactical rifles with ACOGs and other magnified optics, but all the CQB variety (1-5X). On those I just have to throw on the optics zero and go, this seems a little more complicated.

I am looking at a few scopes, either Weaver brand (Classic Extreme 2.5-10x56 with an illuminated reticle) or a SWFA Super Sniper. I am leaning to the Weaver since I already own several of their scopes (the 1.5-4.5 model) and they are quality pieces but the mil-dot reticule of the SWFA has me interested in them as well. The Weavers have a Dual-X style reticule instead of a mil-dot.

Re: Newbie Question - Scopes and Reticle Styles

IMO, a 56mm objective is only needed for night shooting.
Something with a 40mm or less will be much handier.
Didn't state your budget or how far (really) you plan to shoot.
Bushnell,Burris, Nikon and Leupold make many fine mid price scopes.
One current bargain (IMO) is the 3-9 30mm tube, 40mm objective,
Burris TAC with target knobs (under covers), a sexy green finish and a BDC reticle for about $230 from Natchez. I own everything from WW One Winchester A5s to Schmidt & Benders and I think this Burris is a deal (I bought two.)

FFII_tactical2_04.jpg

Budget is under $400 max, preferably under $300. The ranges I usually go to max out at 200 yds, there is one 600 yd range about two hours away, this would be the farthest I would ever plan on shooting.

There also is a Weaver 2.5-10X50 in the same line.

What warranty does the super sniper have? I didnt see that info online?

Not sure, i would contact SWFA and ask them.
I have had mine now for about a year, 1000+ rds .308 through my rem 700, it gets me out to 1000 yards.

my only complaint is no illuminated reticle, and i would like more magnification/varible/better glass.

i am saving up for an IOR, but in the meantime, I shoot under 1/2" groups with it at 100 yards.

here is a nice write up on the scope. http://www.swfa.com/ss_review_snipers_hide.aspx

The sooper sniper is a fixed power scope that carries no manufacturer name (they are not made in Texas!) the adjustment knobs have no caps to protect the adjustments from moving.
If you plan to hunt and the buck of your life jumps up at 30 yards and starts running.... well good luck with a fixed 10X (or more) whereas a 3-9 variable (always carries at 3X) will give you a crack at him. It also costs more than the Burris (made in USA). I note SWFA just dropped the price on the Burris almost 100 dollars (still more than Natchez) AFTER Natchez put it on special!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you plan to hunt and the buck of your life jumps up at 30 yards and starts running.... well good luck with a fixed 10X (or more) whereas a 3-9 variable (always carries at 3X) will give you a crack at him.</div></div>

Wow... stellar ethics...

Not to mention at 30 yards even 16 clicks ( on a 1/4 click scope ) is less than an inch... you knew that though. Whew....

The SS is a fine optic. One has to try hard to get the turrets to move under normal field carry conditions.

Oh I am howling! A guy who advocates shooting Elk at 1000 yards talks about ethics! Put that sooper pooper in a scabbard and ride up and down a few mountains and see how those knobs don't move.
There is a reason why all hunting scopes have covered turrets and it's not to keep the dew out!
He even pushes his poor horses down steep mountain trails and is dumb enough to post pics and brag about it!
To quote a real Wyoming guide and wrangler: "A horse that won't carry a man up a mountain a'int no horse and a man who won't walk a horse down a mountain a'int no man."
When you bug out of WY to go to CO.... well need I say more?

He is now on "double secret" ignore and will have his rants go 100% unanswered.

You're truly a laughable little old man. Who knows not what he says. Pretty much ever.
Push a horse down a hill? Show me the proof. Since you seem to have it.
Like you know the first thing about horses.. fucking idiot.
So wyo to Fla is braggable?

Back on topic. I have carried multiple scopes with "exposed" turrets in scabbards all over the wilderness. It takes a lot to get them to move. Anyone who has actually done it will tell you the same. It is a non issue.

I bought one of the Weavers that Natchez has on closeout: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE800703&src=sim

It is a 2.5-10 x 50 with an illuminated, side focus adjustment, and turret covers. Has everything I could want except the mil-dot reticule. I have a couple of 1.5-4.5 Weavers on my ARs and they have always been bulletproof even going through a couple of carbine classes.

It should be here in a couple of days and I can take a look at it, if I decide to run something else on the Remington I can always use it on a AR.