• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors newbie question

mtrmn

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 7, 2009
    Louisiana
    I am currently waiting on my first NFA item, a YHM 7.62 Phantom titanium. My dealer has it but I can't get it til I get paperwork. The form 4 was sent in sometime around the first of April. I called ATF about a month ago and the girl told me it went "pending June 1 and takes 3 to 4 months- probably October". I called again yesterday and was told it was "pending Aug 11 and 3 to 4 months from there." The woman seemed to be rushed and I was so flabbergasted by the answer I just got that I just thanked her and didn't ask any more questions. Anybody else had this happen? Should I call back and quiz them further or just leave them alone?

Re: newbie question

Don't poke the bear...it'll only get you put back at the bottom of the stack ! he-he

"patience grasshopper"

You guys crack me up with the "I want it NOW"....back in the day it was a 9 mo. to a year wait!...got the papers to prove it...HA!

You can call them about the descrepency if you want. They should enter the date that it goes pending into the computer. That date should not change.

Yes, the date pending was what had me wondering if they just pull a date out of the air and tell you ANYthing to get you off the phone. Thanks all for the replies.

The first is the hardest to wait for. Every time I've sent in a form 4 I say, "this will be the last one". That has not worked out as i just mailed another in today. Im always patient until the last 2 weeks of when I expected it to be back. I will say, I turned in a form4 back in April. Check cashed April 19th and it came back on July 23rd if I remember correctly. I've never called because it won't make it happen any sooner. The ATF has recently gone thru reassigning examiners and that may have slowed the process. If it makes you feel better, call them but be prepared for the answer they give you.
    Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't poke the bear...it'll only get you put back at the bottom of the stack ! he-he </div></div>

+1

Ask me how I know :-(

Once it goes pending just leave it alone. You're not going to get it any quicker by calling. Eventually it'll come in with a stamp or you'll get a notice of a problem that you can just fix and send back for quick turn around.

Just to clarify: I was ready for a long wait when I waded into this thing and not in a rush. (Well, maybe just a little)
    wink.gif

The problem I had was the 2 vastly different "pending" dates. I could understand this if they discovered some flaw in the paperwork which needed correction, but neither I nor my dealer have been contacted about any flaws.
    1st pending date was June 1 and the other was Aug 11. I will follow everyone's advice and call no more, but has anyone here seen them play checkers with the pending dates before?

Again, THANK YOU ALL for your helpful replies in this matter.

When I did my first one, I called after 10 weeks just cause I was to damn curious. I half expected God to answer the phone.

They told me the pending date, but that I should still expect a long wait when doing NFA stuff. (I already knew that though)

To my GREAT surprise, within a WEEK, I received a signed Form 4. Oh happy day. I'm very much looking forward to starting the next two. Should be only a week or two before my dealer gets my next ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I did my first one, I called after 10 weeks just cause I was to damn curious. I half expected God to answer the phone.

They told me the pending date, but that I should still expect a long wait when doing NFA stuff. (I already knew that though)

To my GREAT surprise, within a WEEK, I received a signed Form 4. Oh happy day. I'm very much looking forward to starting the next two. Should be only a week or two before my dealer gets my next ones. </div></div>

Thanks for the info, Maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise as well.