• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie reloader question - Lapua .308 case capacity

jhr1986

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
SLCish, UT
I'm loading my first batch of .308, decided to try some 155 amax over IMR 4064 in Lapua brass with Remington 9 1/2 primers. COAL is 2.805.

My plan was to load a batch with charges weighing 41-45.5 grains, but I got to 43.8 grains and it looks like this will be a compressed load - the powder comes up to *just* under the neck.

Charge weights I have loaded right now:

1x @ 41gr
1x @ 41.8gr
3x @ 42.6
3x @ 43
3x @ 43.4

None of those are compressed loads, but after dropping the powder @ 43.8gr and looking in those cases, I'm sure they will be compressed. Since I haven't shot any handloads in this rifle yet I'm thinking I should just dump the powder the 43.8gr charges. I knew Lapua cases are supposed to have a smaller volume; perhaps I should go back and do 3 @ 42.2, 3 @ 41.8 and 1 @ 41.4?

Any thoughts? I guess my main question is: loading & shooting a compressed load is a bad idea for a newbie reloader, right? Or am I being overly cautious?

Compressed isn't necessarily bad. I don't think you'll be compressing the powder much at all until you get above 45 grains. In Lapua brass, you should find an accuracy node around 45.0 grains... next node would be just above 46 grains.

Thanks for the input guys; I had it in my mind that compressing a load would increase pressure dangerously. I'll load up the rest and just carefully examine the brass after each shot, which I would be doing anyway of course. Dan, I'm glad you responded - I'm going by the OCW procedure on your website.

My load in 308 is 44.8 grains of Varget. No doubt it's compressed. I hear the powder crunch when I seat the bullet. It shoots great.