• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Scope Selection

Jspool

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2020
Although I have been shooting what I thought was extreme .22lr shooting for years, changes in the sport has got me re-interested, and ready to spend some money to keep up. I have a Zcomp on my cf rifle and would like that level of adjustment (35 mil) on a scope for my upcoming Vudoo build. I can’t quite get my head around buying another Zcomp for a rimfire so am wondering whether there is an alternative 5-25 or higher magnification scope with that level of adjustment and can focus down to 25 yds at a sub $2000 price level?
My shooting encompasses KYL out to 100 yds, and I plan to also shoot 300 yds targets. All suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance.

I'm doing the same as you and I've settled on the XTR3. I'm dropping mag though as I spend most of my time in the 12x-18x and I tend to blap tree rats from time to time. Everyone seems to say the reticle is usable from 10x up on the 5-30 model. Seems to check a lot of boxes for a rimfire scope.

Athlon Midas TAC 5-25x, Athlon Ares ETR and Athlon Cronus btr.

Reactions: JKW70
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x30 FFP
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 FFP

I run a 40 moa base, and I chose a NX8 4-32 F1 mil c retical for my Vudoo and for your budget I don’t see how you can beat it with any other scope out there.

I also have a B14r that I set up for my wife/ kids to maybe go shoot some local club matches with and I also used a 40 moa rail and the scope I bought for this one was a crimson trace series 3, 6-24x it also has a 34mm tube. I only paid about $600 for it after I got a rebate but so far it’s tracking well and repeats without issue and it’s been cranked on from 25 yards all the way out to 400 yards and back to in close nearly every time we shoot it.

personally I can recommend either with confidence for $600 the CT Japan made scope is awesome, but if your gonna spend $2k I’d get the nightforce nx8 hands down it’s my favorite scope I have ever had the features are perfect no nonsense and it flat functions.

I ended up with a Cronus from Cameraland. Gave me a great price. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Reactions: slickalaus12