• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie to reloading - Size new brass?

exd3686

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2008
Illinois
Just a newbie working on developing a load for my new "used" PAI rifle. Do you need to size new brass? I have new Win. brass do I need to size them or just primer pocket uniform, flash hole deburr, Trim to length, chamfer inside and outside of neck, and then load?

Thanks

Re: Newbie to reloading - Size new brass?

I wouldn't trim to length, shouldn't be needed on new brass. Check length? Yes.
Yes, I would resize although that really shouldn't be needed either.

I am too lazy for all of that prep stuff. The idea is to shoot, not to spend all the time doing the prep work. Unless, you and your rifle can notice a small improvement in accuracy, reading the correct wind will get you on the target faster and accurately too. Having said that, I would neck size the brass just to be sure that the mouth is even and has no dent.

I would resize and trim Winchester brass. The case mouths are usually bent a little and trimming will make them all a uniform size. I also clean flash holes and primer pockets as you mentioned. I started out this way back when I started loading so I can't really say if it makes a difference. It seems to work for me.

New brass should be run over an expander. Check for length, size and trim as necessary, and then chamfer.

You would not believe how much controversy the question of sizing new brass has engendered on various shooting forums. Generally, there is a LARGE contingent that believes failure to size and trim new brass is sloppy and akin to walking around town with your zipper down.

I have never in many years of reloading, with only one exception, resized or trimmed new brass. The one exception was in a heavy recoiling revolver where new brass had to be resized, trimmed and crimped to keep the bullets from walking out under recoil.

I do inspect new brass as I'm priming it and reloading it. Rarely, you'll find a way off center flash hole or a case with a mouth so deformed that it has to be resized prior to loading. In short, there is no advantage in doing anything but inspecting new brass prior to loading it. Resizing and/or trimming it gives no advantage in accuracy or dependability.

Expander mandrel - champher neck ID - Install primer - pour powder - install bullet and shoot.
You get to do all of the fancy crap the next time you use it.

While I agree. Full length sizing shouldn't be needed. But I do it anyway.

New brass? Is that the stuff I pick up at the range when the R.O.s aren't looking?

On the rare occasions I have brand new brass, I run it up just far enough into the sizing die to make the mouths round again, deburr the flashhole and chamfor the inside of the mouth for easy seating. Perhaps when I learn how to shoot worth a damn I can tell you it makes no difference!

I recently loaded some R-P nickel 300 WM brass that I did not resize first. It shaved the heck out of the bullets and accuracy went down the tube. Even after necksizing fired cases I could see a litle shaving and the nickel loads would not match the accuracy of regular brass with the same loads and bullets. It was stated by another poster that nickel was crap when it comes to accuracy. I now believe him. Not sure if I understand the benefit of nickel brass at this point. Must be that it does not tarnish.

Full length size.
Chamfer.
Prime.
Charge.
Load.
On down the road a piece you can do prep as you learn. Find somebody here and get them to tutor you and mentor you through the maze. Now, he's right; wind is more important but eventually you'll want to learn more. Get
Handloading.............., by Glenn Zediker.

queequeq,
I hate to admit it but I did no chamfer the first time. I did chamfer the reloads and could see just a little shaving. This is the first time I have played with nickel brass in a rifle and for some reason, the accuracy is not what I can get with the same load in regular brass. So, I pay more for nickel brass and get less accuracy. Sounds like my dealings in the Stock Market. I have another post out there that shows some of the targets with a comparison of nickel and regular brass if anyone is interested.

Trusting a factory sized case to chamber properly in any specific chamber is often a crapshoot.

I've lost that toss a few times, and once had to retire from a distant team competition I had otherwise been preparing for over several months. I trusted the manufacturer, and ended up letting my team down.

Leave nothing to chance, resize it all before loading. I always do.

Greg

My problem was with R-P .308 and a 'loaded' Springfield Armory M1A.

The shoulder was too long by just enough to confound proper cycling. The firearm could be made to run single feed by manually whacking the oprod forward to complete chambering, but would not run semi.

I ended up with only two rounds fired for each of the rapid fire strings. Not a good day at the range, especially considering I was acting (or trying to act, anyway) as Team Captain.

I didn't actually withdraw, but I might as well have done so, considering the piss-poor performance I turned in.

Greg

As an additional part of my new brass initiation, I drop mine into a case guage prior to loading, to make sure each will chamber. I don't recall finding any new cases that would not, but that hardly precludes the possibility.

Just trying to avoid working the new cases unnecessarily as I full length resize, every time afterwards.

Load, shoot, repeat.

Maximize your time on the range until you get to the accuracy level where brass prep makes a significant amount of difference in your overall performance. Most shooters I've seen don't start at that level but with lots of range time, get to that level.

my two cents.