• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbie to scopes help

Snip-er

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2017
Hello everyone! I am relatively new to the forum and actually the rifle itself other than the AR 15. I am a handgun guy, but I am former infantry and I'm missing shooting rifles. I have an AR 15 which I love, but I know what it's limitations are. I'm looking to honestly build a long distance rifle. Now this long distance rifle is nothing more than for target practice. I am not a hunter, but hey never know if I can help out by taking out a coyote once in a while :) I am also looking to do this build on a least expensive of a budget as I can, somewhere between say $800 to a $1000. I know that budget builds are kinda the fad right now, a little, but I have so many hand guns that not sure Mama would approve of an expensive build, so I am just looking to have fun and reach out as far as I can on a limited budget. I have a decent idea on the budget rifle I want, which I know most of us can't out shoot our rifles, but we can out shoot our optics. So..... I'm looking for the best/good scope on my limited budget. I say under $500, and the less the better. I've some some research as I am not a educated man on scopes, so thats why I'm looking for help from. you guys on here, so heres what I'm looking for....

- A scope that will be good anywhere between 100 and 500 yards, preferably out to a 1000 (I would like to push my limits if I can find that 1000 yrd range) but I will take out to 500-600 yards. I don't want a huge objective lens, but I understand thats where the light comes from and what you need to shooting long distance.

- Also shooting iron sights on my AR, what would be a good sight to recommend for it without breaking the bank? Probably shooting out to a max of 300 yards.

That's pretty much it, like I said, I'm just looking to have fun at the range, or maybe out on some property for cheap. I appreciate any help.

By the way, looking into the 6.5 Creedmore. Not sure how much that matters for the scope.

Thanks for everyone's time and everyone have a Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

Last edited:
I'd say to get a Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50. You'll need to shop around to get it at $500 or close to it.

It has locking turrets and is a step up in quality compared to the Argos line of scopes.

The Argos line is a consideration, myself and friends have a bunch of 6-24x50's, and they have worked really well. Those are around $369 MAP. I have many good stories and memories about them but the latest was the cold bore shot and 2 more onto a 15" plate at 978Y that I witnessed a friend do.

Athlon is known for best bang for the buck, very good glass, and the best reticle designs there are.

I'd say to get a Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50. You'll need to shop around to get it at $500 or close to it.

It has locking turrets and is a step up in quality compared to the Argos line of scopes.

The Argos line is a consideration, myself and friends have a bunch of 6-24x50's, and they have worked really well. Those are around $369 MAP. I have many good stories and memories about them but the latest was the cold bore shot and 2 more onto a 15" plate at 978Y that I witnessed a friend do.

Athlon is known for best bang for the buck, very good glass, and the best reticle designs there are.

Please give us a call and we will hook you up with the Athlon Helos BTR in your budget, or the Argos BTR at a special SH member price
check out this Argos BTR Review posted here on SH

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

Please give us a call and we will hook you up with the Athlon Helos BTR in your budget, or the Argos BTR at a special SH member price
check out this Argos BTR Review posted here on SH

Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000

Doug, I will definitely give you a call. I don't wanna call you today being Christmas and all. Are you available tomorrow?

Thanks for the info Steve. Doug chimed in so I am going to give him a call.

Today is family day and my 1st day off since Thanksgiving :) .
I'm back in the store, 516-217-1000, tomorrow morning at 8:30
Have a Merry Christmas

Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000