• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbie with a scope question

BlackHogDown

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Alabama
I've been a lurker on this forum for awhile and usually just search the topics to find the answers to my questions. This forum is great so I finally decided to join up and just posts a question instead of spending hrs trying to research. I recently purchased a Remy 700 SPS ACC in 308 1:10 twist. First then was to replace the stock with a B&C. The Hogue was just to odd for me to get use to. I'm now looking at scopes. I have Leupolds, Zeiss and Swarovski on my hunting rifles and on my ARs. I'm looking for a scope for my Remy 700 SPS. I'm looking for a little advice to get me on the right track. Looking at the optics selection sticky thread, I'm going to try and provide the info that is needed to help with my selection.

1) I'm looking for a scope with a high magnification. Maybe a 6-20x50. I really like to zoom in.
2) I'm looking for good light gathering. I will be shooting a lot at dawn and dusk. Somtimes at night with aid of spotlight
3) Target is going to the feral pigs, so they range from small (10 lbs) to large (400 lbs) with avg about 100 lbs
4) Range. I would like some that I could use for 100 - 1000yds with most shots in the 500 yd range. I would like to be able to shoot 1000yds for fun.
5) Price $500-$1000 range.
6) As far as reticle, I really have no preference. My guess would be simple is better.
7) Situation example. Shoot one pig in a soybean field at 500yds, rest of pigs scatter. I range second pig, turn turret and shoot.
8) Basically I want a scope were I can range the target with my range finder, dial in the turret to that range and pull the trigger.
9) I don't reload, but do have a friend who could make loads for me. So maybe a match grade off the shelf ammo would be main ammo in 175 gr.
10) Focal plane. I'm not sure what would be best for this situation.
11) I do have a suppressor so I might shoot some subsonic ammo, which would be good if I could just turn the turrets down to get it to 100yd zero since I will not be shooing over 100yds with it.
12) Zero stop on turrets? I think this might be a good thing for me, but not really necessary.

I have been looking at the Vortex scopes as people seem to give great reviews. Most people recommend the Vortex PST series, but I'm really not into the illumination reticle. The Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 looks to be promising also. Seem Zeiss has sales going on at the moment which is great.

I know this is a long thread, but I hope I provided enough info for you guys to give me some guidance.
Last question: Where is a good online site to purchase optics online for the best price? I assume I need to check out the sponsors of this site first.

Thanks In Advance,
Joey

Last edited:
My opinions:

Based on your intentions, I would go for an FFP reticle scope. While you say that "simple is better" for reticle, you will benefit greatly from having something a little more versatile than a duplex or single dot reticle. A standard mildot can still be "simple", yet offers you a lot more versatility. More complex reticles really have an advantage on moving targets, though. So, I would look a little more closely at them before discounting them. I suggest an FFP reticle based on the fact that you'll be engaging multiple targets at varying/changing distances and being able to use the same adjustments/holds on any power with an FFP scope is a huge advantage in that situation. This also brings up the question of whether or not you will actually dial the scope between every shot. A mil (or MOA) based reticle with matching turret adjustments will give you the ability to use the reticle for quick measurements and either quickly dial the corrections into the scope, or (even more quickly) just use the reticle to hold over/off the difference.

As for illumination, it's something that most people rarely use. However, since you'll be hunting at night, even with a spotlight, it's still a nice feature to have. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it available. I hunt at night with no spotlight. In the winter, when everything is covered in snow, it's easier. However, the illuminated reticle is still pretty much a necessity. Without snow and a full moon/clear night, it would still be a huge plus, even with a spotlight.

Zero stops are nice to have when you start reaching out towards 1000 yards. This will also depend on the elevation range of the scope, as well as your scope base (20+ MOA cant is a huge plus in this department). They're not a necessity, however.

Based on your price range, I think the Vortex PST that you mentioned is a good option. I'm also a big fan of Bushnell scopes (check out the Elite Tactical 6-24x50, for example). Weaver also offers some great scopes that fit the feature set/budget, as well. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind as the most popular choices for features vs. budget and are all regarded as good quality optics in their price range.

Best of luck!

all of your questions have been asked/answered a thousand times before. Read the forum, flip a coin, buy a scope, and learn what you're doing. You're way overthinking this.

In my opinion if you are going to an optic over the 3-9 range, like 6-24, and going to be ranging with the reticle, you want a FFP for sure. I'd look at the SS 5-20x50 if you can swing the $1300ish price. If you are mainly going to use a laser RF, a Sfp would be fine, I'd look at the sightron sIII 6-24x50 mil/mil for under $900. The conquest looks cool too with the rapid z setup for around the same price. Lots of happy people with the viper pst also. Pick one and get it mounted!

If you're going to use a range finder and only dial the second focal plane will be fine. With that said the zero stops would be nice in case you get lost on the dials you can quickly go back to zero and dial up, especially when it's dark.

Now if you want to holdover in the 6.5-20X range then a first focal plane scope with a reticle that has 1/2 mil marks will make those holdovers more accurate. This might be a good idea for you since lower magnification will be better at lower light levels and SFP scopes reticles are only accurate for holdovers at the highest magnification. The other consideration is if mirage becomes an issue you're going to want to be somewhere 10X or less to mitigate that and the FFP reticle will be accurate for holdovers at all magnifications.

It's more than your budget but the leupold 110076(mil dial) or 64665(moa dial) would be my FFP scope choice. The leupold 60080(MOA dials) would be an SFP option which would be just a bit more than your budget.

Nothing wrong with the other brands you mentioned, I've been using leupold pretty hard for a long time and never had a problem.

Call Scott at Liberty Optics for a good deal and service. He's a SH sponsor. I just bought 3 more Mark 4 FFP's from him yesterday.

Last edited:
I had similar questions. I went with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 from Sport Optics. Give them a call, they have a very good deal for SH members.