• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newbies and search function....

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
newbies....and my rant

i know when i first got interested in this site (which is one of the best (maybe THE BEST out there), i may have asked some silly questions....and still do! however, i tried the search function located in the upper right at 2:00 first before a beat a dead horse.... it's a very usefull tool.....we have the same question for advice asked only hours apart and maybe only a few posts apart on the very same page....throw in a few keywords, and you'll usually find it, in detail, on the first try.

i think we're all glad to help someone out with a question or a problem, or give advice on a topic we may know something about, but at least put some effort into it.

i hope i don't get my butt roasted for posting this, but when a newbie asks for what rifle, scope, bases, ammo, bipod, trigger, asks for a range card on a combination that he or she hasn't even bothered taken to the range yet, or doesn't seemingly take the time to even look for an answer to a question asked and answered over, and over, and over again, i almost feel like i have to send them a check for the gas to get them the range and come clean their rifle for them.....

thinking about putting up seperate posts with links covering the most beaten horses to clean up the clutter for the "airsoft" generation that needs the silver platter treatment to get anything accomplished without doing some homework....

not saying all newbies are like that, but it seems to be a reaccuring theme....if i'm wrong or misspoke, let me know and i'll withdraw this post myself....

Re: newbies and search function....

Any tricks for under four letter like S&B? I try Schmidt or Bender but a number of people shorten it to S&B and can't find a topic I recall reading. If I try scope it yields a ton of hits. It seems like there are a number of three letter searches that I can't get to work...40X, 308, 260, etc.

Pat

Actually, I find the a Google Advanced Search both faster and more useful when looking for something on the Hide.

Enter the search term(s) you're looking for in the "All these words" search box, then down near the bottom, enter "snipershide.com" in the box where it says "Search within a site or domain:"

Use "snipershide.com", even though the link page for the forums says "snipershide.com".

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Restricting the search date may be useful, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I find the a Google Advanced Search both faster and more useful when looking for something on the Hide.

Enter the search term(s) you're looking for in the "All these words" search box, then down near the bottom, enter "snipershide.com" in the box where it says "Search within a site or domain:"

Use "snipershide.com", even though the link page for the forums says "snipershide.com".

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Restricting the search date may be useful, too.

</div></div> i agree, been in the habit for a long time.

MT GOAT,

one "trick" i found useful is to go to the advanced button where you can search for particular keywords or letters not only in the title of the topic, but in the body of the text,. and in a particular forum. i did try to do "40x action" but it spit out everything that had the word action in it also. so the shortened names may through you off, but chances are that someone in that same topic mentioned something your looking for.

the thing that was urking me is when a newbie asks a specific question about a specific item, and a practically duplicate subject is being covered 4 threads down.....didn't even bother to scroll down or check page 2

EWOAF pointed this link out, http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

put in S&B as the keyword, go down a few fields and put in snipershide.com, and it does pull up the abreviated S&B, 308, etc.

good tip EWOAF