• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie's first rifle Questions

Inogame

Counter of Beans
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NW Indiana
I just joined but I've been reading many posts here the past month or so.
I'm looking for a first hunting rifle, but I'm also very interested in learning and practicing long range target shooting(She would get much more range time than hunting time).

Long story short I want my first rifle to be available for both until I either decide that's as far as I want to take it, or I get enough money to have more rifles.

I've gone over the stickys for beginners and info guides here and they're great info. Really help focus my search and to think ahead.

I think I've settled on a Rem 700 SS 5R Milspec .308, sniper country PX has a nice deployment kit that I figured would be good since I'm starting with nothing.
I was going to go with a Leupold ER/T M1 6.5-20x50 Front Focal Plane TMR.

I guess I was hoping to get some feedback as to if this was a good call or not. I'm not looking for a perfect rifle since it's my first(I do have an AR), but I want quality to learn with that won't run me 4-5k to start off.

Is that too much scope to start with? Should I go Mil-dot instead? Should I get a .300WM since I may hunt Elk, or just hold off till I'm comfortable with a .308 (I would never go hunting without having plenty of range time behind my rifle) I've seen plenty of posts where Elks were taken with .308. (Elk would be as big as I'd go - have friends in Colorado that go every Nov.)

Any thoughts are appreciated, please keep in mind I'm as green as can be with a bolt action rifle.

Thanks

Re: Newbie's first rifle Questions

Any money spent on something other than your perfect rifle is simply keeping you that much farther from it. There's no reason you should not have whatever kind of rifle you want. Since you are a self proclaimed newbie, you may not have the best idea of what you need. Experience will change that. You don't have to jump right into this sport with both feet at once, however, it's not hard to start off with something nice that fits your needs as a beginner for both hunting and long range.

If I were you, and this is in fact how I started out, I'd start with an off the shelf remington 700. Something like the SPS-varmint will suit your needs well. They shoot well enough out of the box with factory ammo to warrant good glass. Glass is where you need not fuck around. Get the best thing you can afford as soon as you can. There are worse picks than the one you mentioned. A harris bipod on a sps-varmint with a nice set of glass will get you far. Start somewhere in that ballpark and add to it when you can. First I'd think about swapping out the cheap factory stock with a quality chassis that is adjustable to you. You will reload, so just get used to the idea and start putting a bench together.

Thanks Ewoaf,

I should have stated it better when I said I wasn't looking for the perfect rifle. You got what I was thinking though, I figure I won't know my "perfect" setup until I get plenty of trigger time.

I appreciate the thoughts.

Also keep in mind, you may end up wanting to change the rifle configuration around during your trial and error and correction phase.

Savage makes some really nice rifles as well... and they are very user friendly in doing your own gunsmithing. Just something else to think about.

DK

I also went with an off the shelf remington for my rifle a few years back (308 VTR). It was a great gun and I put about 1500 rounds through it practicing. Like ewoaf said, dont fuck around with cheap glass. I went with a Mark 4 (4.5-14), which worked great. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gone with the 6.5-20. But your choice is a good scope to start out with. If you've got a couple hundred extra, Nightforce is something I would consider over the Mark4. As for the 308 vs. 300WM, I would go with the 308 just because of the milder recoil and cheaper ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also went with an off the shelf remington for my rifle a few years back (308 VTR). It was a great gun and I put about 1500 rounds through it practicing. Like ewoaf said, dont fuck around with cheap glass. I went with a Mark 4 (4.5-14), which worked great. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gone with the 6.5-20. But your choice is a good scope to start out with. If you've got a couple hundred extra, Nightforce is something I would consider over the Mark4. As for the 308 vs. 300WM, I would go with the 308 just because of the milder recoil and cheaper ammo. </div></div>
wow i did the identical thing thats creepy real creepy but i say what this guy says too...

The rifle is a great choice its the scope you should think of switching. Get a Mil-dot setup or a nightforce NPR-1. I would go with Nightforce over the Mark 4 anyday. If you wish for FFP then there is some better choices over Leupold. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you wish for FFP then there is some better choices over Leupold. JMHO</div></div>

+1

I thought you copied this from my post because I thought the exact same thing when I was typing, but I just forget to write it. haha

Thanks for the feedback, amen on the optics... The more I read through the info on the forum two things jumped at me.

Don't skimp on glass and go FFP.

I picked the Leu, because it's FFP, and under 2K.

I know there's plenty of good stuff about NF scopes, but I wanted to get a FFP. Is there another brand I should look at? I'd love a USO or S&B... but I was thinking $1,500 range give or take not $2,500.

-Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any money spent on something other than your perfect rifle is simply keeping you that much farther from it. There's no reason you should not have whatever kind of rifle you want. Since you are a self proclaimed newbie, you may not have the best idea of what you need. Experience will change that. You don't have to jump right into this sport with both feet at once, however, it's not hard to start off with something nice that fits your needs as a beginner for both hunting and long range.</div></div> Agreed. Well-said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glass is where you need not fuck around. Get the best thing you can afford as soon as you can.</div></div>Also good advice.

I would stay away from Leoplod and get a SFP NF 3.5-15 instead, with a reticle in units that match the external knobs. And you absolutely don't need a FFP.

And stick with .308. You don't need, and probably won't really use, a magnum.

The 5R Milspec is a nice rifle, but to start I would get a stock with a decent cheek piece. Maybe consider dropping it into an AICS.

But then, for about a grand more you could get an AE. Maybe post up a WTB ad for a used MK I AE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the feedback, amen on the optics... The more I read through the info on the forum two things jumped at me.

Don't skimp on glass and go FFP.

I picked the Leo, because it's FFP, and under 2K.

I know there's plenty of good stuff about NF scopes, but I wanted to get a FFP. Is there another brand I should look at? I'd love a USO or S&B... but I was thinking $1,500 range give or take not $2,500.

-Jeff

</div></div>
Why not check these out, http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Rifle-Scopes-C2860.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nightforce makes a FFP... its like 2200 bucks tho. </div></div>

Do you know any of the model #'s for their FFPs? I must have been reading old threads that said they didn't have one. My bad.

I'm constantly checking the for sale threads, maybe I'll get lucky or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1855493#Post1855493 </div></div>

Thanks Graham,

So, now I put myself in a conundrum. I can go with the FFP for 2K, or just get the SFP Nightforce that many seem to love (5.5-22X) and save 500 bucks.

Looks like you guys officially talked me out of the Leupould.

I've got some thinking to do...

Strange,
I'm not familiar with the vortex. Well... I guess I'm not familiar with much, but what I mean is they don't get much chatter here or other sites. I'm a little weary about trying something that doesn't get much talk generated about it. I'll do some more searching though, thanks for the link.

-Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any money spent on something other than your perfect rifle is simply keeping you that much farther from it. There's no reason you should not have whatever kind of rifle you want. Since you are a self proclaimed newbie, you may not have the best idea of what you need. Experience will change that. You don't have to jump right into this sport with both feet at once, however, it's not hard to start off with something nice that fits your needs as a beginner for both hunting and long range.

If I were you, and this is in fact how I started out, I'd start with an off the shelf remington 700. Something like the SPS-varmint will suit your needs well. They shoot well enough out of the box with factory ammo to warrant good glass. Glass is where you need not fuck around. Get the best thing you can afford as soon as you can. There are worse picks than the one you mentioned. A harris bipod on a sps-varmint with a nice set of glass will get you far. Start somewhere in that ballpark and add to it when you can. First I'd think about swapping out the cheap factory stock with a quality chassis that is adjustable to you. You will reload, so just get used to the idea and start putting a bench together. </div></div>

Couldn't have been said any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1855493#Post1855493 </div></div>

Thanks Graham,

So, now I put myself in a conundrum. I can go with the FFP for 2K, or just get the SFP Nightforce that many seem to love (5.5-22X) and save 500 bucks.

Looks like you guys officially talked me out of the Leupould.

I've got some thinking to do...

Strange,
I'm not familiar with the vortex. Well... I guess I'm not familiar with much, but what I mean is they don't get much chatter here or other sites. I'm a little weary about trying something that doesn't get much talk generated about it. I'll do some more searching though, thanks for the link.

-Jeff
</div></div>
They have gotten tons of talk about them for how new they are. You just need to search right.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1855938&page=1
Just one example. For the money they are great. I have handled one and loved it. Save yourself a grand.

I was able to shoot the Vortex Razor HD in 5-20x50mm a couple weeks ago at the Border Patrol Expo, very impressive.