• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newby Question: Factory Barrel Switch/New Bolt/Rechambering a Factory Barrel

woojos

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
I have a stock SD-AAC in .308 that I want to swap over to .223. I picked up another rifle in .308 and want to have this one for friends/girlfriend to play with and I want a .223 bolt action anyway. I'm also considering chopping the factory barrel down to minimum non-NFA length to have a shorty .308 setup.

I'm on a budget and screwing around for now and I figure the cheapest way to do this is to just get a take off factory 223 barrel and bolt. Eventually, I'll send it out to get trued up with a custom barrel, but I have some other expenses to put my discretionary income towards first. Another part of me is just looking for an excuse to buy the tools, disassemble the rifle, and experiment.

Can I screw on a take off .223 barrel without having to worry about headspace? Do I have to worry about a seperate lug? I'd still get the gauges to check it, but I'm wondering if I'll have to do any amateur cutting of metal to make sure it headspaces correctly.

Where can I obtain a stock 700 .223 bolt assembly? I tried Brownells but only saw complete receivers.

If I do send it out and have it trued with a custom chambered barrel, will the original barrel be able to be reused on the action? I'm close to 100% sure the answer to this question is NO unless the factory barrel is cutback, rechambered, and rethreaded. This seems like a waste of money for a factory barrel and it would drastically change the contour of the stock barrel.

Eventually, I'd like to have this as a switch barrel .223/shorty .308 setup with swappable quality barrels with the work done by a competent gunsmith.

Thanks for any replies.

I have a stock SD-AAC in .308 that I want to swap over to .223. I picked up another rifle in .308 and want to have this one for friends/girlfriend to play with and I want a .223 bolt action anyway. I'm also considering chopping the factory barrel down to minimum non-NFA length to have a shorty .308 setup.

I'm on a budget and screwing around for now and I figure the cheapest way to do this is to just get a take off factory 223 barrel and bolt. Eventually, I'll send it out to get trued up with a custom barrel, but I have some other expenses to put my discretionary income towards first. Another part of me is just looking for an excuse to buy the tools, disassemble the rifle, and experiment.

Can I screw on a take off .223 barrel without having to worry about headspace? Do I have to worry about a seperate lug? I'd still get the gauges to check it, but I'm wondering if I'll have to do any amateur cutting of metal to make sure it headspaces correctly.

Where can I obtain a stock 700 .223 bolt assembly? I tried Brownells but only saw complete receivers.

If I do send it out and have it trued with a custom chambered barrel, will the original barrel be able to be reused on the action? I'm close to 100% sure the answer to this question is NO unless the factory barrel is cutback, rechambered, and rethreaded. This seems like a waste of money for a factory barrel and it would drastically change the contour of the stock barrel.

Eventually, I'd like to have this as a switch barrel .223/shorty .308 setup with swappable quality barrels with the work done by a competent gunsmith.

Thanks for any replies.

May or may not work. Just depends on how lucky you are. No way to know for sure without doing it and checking with the appropriate guage. I would put a post on Accurate Shooter for a used .223 bolt. They come up quite often. Good luck with the project.

Paul