• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newcon range finder?

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
Has anybody used the newcon LRM 2000 pro range finder? Is it reliable out to 2000 yards? I am interested in finding a range finder that will range out to 2000 yards without breaking the bank. Any input will help. Thanks.

Re: newcon range finder?

Hi,

If you want to range up to 2 000 yards, go with the Newcon 3 000 PRO binocular.

Thanks for the info, but the 3000 pro binos are about 2000 dollars, the LRM 2000 pro runs about 550-600 dollars and that is why I was wandering if the 2000 Pro was reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info, but the 3000 pro binos are about 2000 dollars, the LRM 2000 pro runs about 550-600 dollars and that is why I was wandering if the 2000 Pro was reliable. </div></div>

I've got the same question desertshooter; one of us might have to bite the bullet and get a set and see; those binos are expensive but a lot of shooters here say they're the ticket.

I've been wondering the same.

I had been planning on picking up a Lieca 1200 but then I saw the Newcon 2000 for about the same money.

Will the Newcon reliably range better and farther than the Lieca?

I have a 2000Pro - it's a good value, but conditions and the target need to be REALLY good to get reliable readings that far. In my experience with it I've had it reliably ranged to about 1200 yards in most conditions. What kind of sucks is that when ranging ELR distances you need to mount it on a tripod or some other device to keep it stable and it needs to be locked down pretty tightly and on firm ground. This is obviously to help align the target, but also because pressing the button to activate the laser requires a bit of downward pressure that, unless locked stable, can make the rangefinder dip unexpected at the time of activation.

The bottom line is for the $500-600 you pay for the 2000Pro you get a "pretty good" rangefinder. For consistent ELR distance ranging, you're better off spending the dough to get something designed for it. But if you're not risking your life with it, I think it's a good value. I hang on to mine because it still works reliably within the majority of ranges that I shoot. That simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 2000Pro - it's a good value, but conditions and the target need to be REALLY good to get reliable readings that far. In my experience with it I've had it reliably ranged to about 1200 yards in most conditions. What kind of sucks is that when ranging ELR distances you need to mount it on a tripod or some other device to keep it stable and it needs to be locked down pretty tightly and on firm ground. This is obviously to help align the target, but also because pressing the button to activate the laser requires a bit of downward pressure that, unless locked stable, can make the rangefinder dip unexpected at the time of activation.

The bottom line is for the $500-600 you pay for the 2000Pro you get a "pretty good" rangefinder. For consistent ELR distance ranging, you're better off spending the dough to get something designed for it. But if you're not risking your life with it, I think it's a good value. I hang on to mine because it still works reliably within the majority of ranges that I shoot. That simple. </div></div>

Dog: can you speak as to whether the Newcon 2000 Binos are better at ranging than the 2000 Pro? It sounds like the 2000 Pro is not much better than my Bushnell Elite 1500, at least when it was new (it's in the shop now because of performance deterioration). Others using the Bino/RF Newcon units have made some really impressive claims about that units ability to range.

The model I've been using for the last year and a half is the LRM 2000 PRO. I honestly don't think it's an ELR capable rangefinder. It's entirely possible that the 2500 and 3000 series perform better, but I have no experience with them.

i've used newcon had issues, really poor performance past 300y on clear day. berm ,steel, building

disappointing since they are available as refurbs with good price

but if on contract with canadian military shouldn't be to bad.

i have't totally written them off just waiting to try a functional unit

http://www.ramoptic.com/store/index.php?cPath=35

Thanks Dogtown that's about what I was expecting to hear about it.

Still interested if anyone has anything to say about it in comparison to a Lieca 1200 though.

Newguy, I can answer the question about the Leica. It has great glass, but my Bushnell Elite 1500 beat it under every condition for accuracy and ability to lock on a target. This was a side by side, hand in hand comparison. I also found a couple of the Leica features not very user friendly. I did this test when Leica first offered the RF, I doubt it has changed a lot since then.

The LRB's are great. I used a set of 3000pros and now own a set of 1500 LRB's....they are great glass but they do have a bit of a blueish tint to the glass, so the lowlight conditions my Nikon Action Binos beat them for clarity at twilight.

I belive the ELR RF is always a problem freehand....because there is such distance to keep aligned, to go out past 1000 on a man sized target you need to be off a tripod to get repeatable, everytime results from just about any RF.

My 1500 meter LRB's I was able to get 1440 yards on some Fir trees free hand from my diesel truck out the window....took 5-6 ranges but I got it and another 5-6 scans and I got within a few yards again.

They LRB's are worth the money for ELR but for UKD shooting out to 1500 yards the Lecia would probably do best....nobody really has anything bad to say about them.

I have the Lecia 1200 scan. I have never got it past 1200 yds on anything under any conditions. It will usually reach 1000 on pine trees etc. if the sun isnt too bright. I consider it a good 800 yd. LRF.

I have the Bushnell 1500 Elite and have ranged to 1281 yards in the desert while on a leupold tri pod,but was looking for something to range out to 2000 yards. It looks like the newcon isn't any better. Thanks for all your input.Does anyone know what model Swavorski ranges out to 2000 yards?

I have played with the newcon 3000. I could only find a spot out to about 1600 were I was at. It ranged it very quickly and consistentyly. As per the 2000, never played with it. Did here good about it. As for how far it would range I don't remeber hearing that.
I have considered trading my swaro for a 2000 but am waiting to play with one first.

I have the swaro and it has ranged to 1999 yds for me early, late and on overcast days. Otherwise it will get to 14-1500 yds pretty consistantly. Also own the Leica binocular/laser and it will get to 1350 under good conditions and out to 8-900 in bright sun light. The Newcons are, in my opinion, over rated junk and their service is even worse.

+1 on over rated junk least their low dollar 1500 which wouldn't scan to 100 yards ever!~ Got my Bushnell elite 1500 back from factory, replaced.. but been too cold to check it out. If it works like it did new, then it's the winner every time for buck spent.

Buy the newcon ! It is a great unit, my dad has one and I've had allot of use with it. I've used the leica and the newcon and this might piss off some of you but I think the newcon is better and not because its cheaper it just pickS up targets better. I plan on getting one my self

The newcon do work ok but i have heard some horror stories about getting them fixed if the dont... They also dont range as far as they say they do except on very shiny objects. Not much worth their...