• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newer scope with vintage look for Enfield mk1 no4

KnightOfNee

The One
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
I just got a an Enfield MK1 no4 and was thinking about putting a vintage scope mount on it and want to add a scope, is there any optics out there that you all have used that gives updated glass, slightly more power but still keeps the vintage look of the rifle?

I have one that came with a cloudy vintage Weaver, and replaced it with a nicer vintage weaver (that was common back in the day)

I have also seen them with short Leupolds on them too that looked kinday sorta vintage,,, ish,

you may want to look at the new repros, I have read a few reports here and there and spoke to one shooter I know that say they have improved quite a bit,

Reactions: KnightOfNee
How are you mounting the scope? If you use anything other than the pads and bracket for the (T) variant than I wouldn’t worry about maintaining the vintage look.

Last edited:
I was looking at getting one of these original mounts possibly. :\ This kit is kinda expensive https://www.waffenmeisters.com/optics-and-scope-mounts-c-83-1?product_id=336 I believe it has to be drilled and tapped though which I'm not to crazy about. :\
Replica scopes are available. Drilling and tapping original mounts with pads is fairly complicated...but it's the only thing that looks right. My Enfield sniper, case, and accessories that I built.

Og5eFbKl.jpg

DSCN0086.JPG

DSCN0081.JPG

DSCN0078.JPG

I was looking at getting one of these original mounts possibly. :\ This kit is kinda expensive https://www.waffenmeisters.com/optics-and-scope-mounts-c-83-1?product_id=336 I believe it has to be drilled and tapped though which I'm not to crazy about. :\
I think you’re better off finding a good no tap mount and just get a suitable modern scope (Fulton’s of Bisley used to sell a really nice one, I’d contact Brian Dick at https://bdlltd.com/ he might have some). We’ve gotten to the point that permanently modifying existing mulsurp rifles is sacrilegious.

But if you do want to go that route I’d recommend getting the correct pads and bracket (and stock riser), and have the work done by someone competent that knows what they’re doing. That in itself isn’t easy. Most of the reproductions parts are cheap knockoffs that will require extra work to get right. When I did it (built up from just a No4 action, so no raping of an existing rifle) I sourced my parts from the UK and had the rifle built by collaboration between Brian Dick and Bruce Dow. It wasn’t cheap but it came out great and shoots like a dream with handloads.

Reactions: ZG47A
Thanks for the info, This thing is in really good shape, I don't want to mess it up, rifling looks great, according to the serial number" if I have this correct, I don't know Enfields well", it was made in 1943 and went back to the factory in England for a factory refurb in 1956, I don't think it has even been used since then considering the wood doesn't even have any dents in it. the marking on it shows N04mk1/2 F 56 FTR BG

Something weird is if you look close to near the ejector screw is a very faintly stamped "T" but the receiver has not been drilled for the pad scope mounts, does this make any sense to you guys? I thought the T was the final stamp showing it is a T rifle after the factory converted them?

N04mk1/2 F 56 FTR BG
From that info we can tell the rifle is a No4Mk1/2 .

What that means is the rifle was originally a No4Mk1 and later converted, in 1956 most likely, to the No4Mk1/2 pattern.
The work would have been done at Fazakerley.

The reason they did this is that post war they developed the No4Mk2, which was made at Fazakerley and had some changes to the No4Mk1 pattern, most notable the trigger was moved to be hung from the receiver unlike the No4Mk1 which is hung from the trigger guard. This greatly increases the trigger feel.

The No4Mk1* was introduced during World War 2 and had some expediencies to the standard No4Mk1 pattern, including removing the bolt head catch (used to remove the bolt) and utilizing a cut out in the bolt raceway instead.
No4Mk1* rifles upgraded post war to have the new trigger hanging etc are designated No4Mk1/3.

The only factory to do conversions to the Mk2 pattern was Fazakerley as far as I know, and they also made the only new built No4Mk2's until they sold machinery to Pakistan (POF) who continued manufacture.

Regarding reproduction No32 scopes, I've had 3 RSM manufactured one. all 3 came with critical issues that prevented them functioning, i'd personally recommend a period Lyman Alaskan with the post reticle.

Something weird is if you look close to near the ejector screw is a very faintly stamped "T" but the receiver has not been drilled for the pad scope mounts, does this make any sense to you guys? I thought the T was the final stamp showing it is a T rifle after the factory converted them?
Can't see a photo?

It's faint but it's there, at the tip of my thumb, you can see a "T" , sorry for the crappy picks, my camera sucks, it hardly shows in the pic.

Is there markings on the left side of the butt socket? Who is the original manufacturer ?

That “T” is far too faintly stamped and it’s pretty low down I’d say coincidental .

The T was stamped on sniper rifles AFTER an optic was fitted . Hence why you will find some scope less T’s generally made by savage that have the scope base pads fitted and TR markings on the butt socket but they won’t have the scope serial on the top of the stock wrist or the T stamp. That is because they never had the scope fitted.

With all that in mind , it won’t be a T stamp , or at least if it is, it’s not that T stamp.

Reactions: ZG47A
The serial starts with BG, so I guess that is BSA, The barrel and Receiver shows "BNP" with a crown emblem, The only markings on the stock I see is a branding on the bottom behind the trigger guard on the stock says 60 and some emblems I cant really make out, the rifle also has a number "1" bolt head, I haven't taken the stock apart to see if any other markings are on it under it all.

Last edited:
I think the T is just a remnant of whatever else was stamped on that line, (like you see at the F and 56)

I don't think any FTR would have removed pads and filled the screws in,