• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newest .243 Win Build

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
Krieger 1-8" HV 27"
.243 Win Match
Trued Rem 700
Surface Ground Tubb Lug
wink.gif

Pillar Bedded in a ADJ. HTG Woodland
Remington Trigger
Badger M5
20MOA Rail
Tac Ops Bolt Knob
Flat Black Gun Kote

m9x3yr.jpg

Re: Newest .243 Win Build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wn,

Looks damn good!!! </div></div>

I think I'm getting the hank of this rifle building stuff
wink.gif

Thanks man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks real nice. </div></div>

Thanks George, that means a lot coming from a smith like you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks real good!

i especially like the "surface ground" tubb lug
grin.gif
</div></div>

I figured you'd catch that if you saw this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks real good!

grin.gif
</div></div>

I figured you'd catch that if you saw this thread. </div></div>

OK, whats the Inside joke here??? Ive got to know . LOL

Nice looking 243. I wish that I had gone with the ad HTG on the last couple I bought. But then again my cheeks are fat enough I can get a good cheek weld anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks real good!

grin.gif
</div></div>

I figured you'd catch that if you saw this thread. </div></div>

OK, whats the Inside joke here??? Ive got to know . LOL </div></div>

We were talking about recoil lugs in another post and I mentioned that I surface grind my lugs whether they're custom or not. The question was raised as to whether it was nessecary or not. I say it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WN you plan on running the 115s?? If so what will the coal be?? </div></div>

Not mine. The owner will be shooting 105/107's. I'm not suer if the 1-8 will stabilize the 115's, may need a 1-7 or 1-7.5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WN you plan on running the 115s?? If so what will the coal be?? </div></div>

Not mine. The owner will be shooting 105/107's. I'm not suer if the 1-8 will stabilize the 115's, may need a 1-7 or 1-7.5</div></div>

As an FYI, my 1-8" stabilizes them at about 2950 fps (6x47L).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WN you plan on running the 115s?? If so what will the coal be?? </div></div>

Not mine. The owner will be shooting 105/107's. I'm not suer if the 1-8 will stabilize the 115's, may need a 1-7 or 1-7.5</div></div>

As an FYI, my 1-8" stabilizes them at about 2950 fps (6x47L). </div></div>

Good to know. I have several friends that shoot a 1-8 6XC that will will not shoot the 115's. I'll keep that velocity in mind.

Maybe we can get a range report after the owner gets it. Have 2 6mm barrel blanks in the safe (1:7.5 and 1:8) that are talking to me every time I open it.

After an unforseen chain of events, I was finally able to get out and shoot her yesterday. I didn't have a chance to run my loads over a chrono since it was raining outside, but was able to get some groups fired.

I had originally planned on using moly coated bullets exclusively through this rifle (in the hopes of extending barrel life some), but at William's request I fired 20 naked bullets before fully cleaning the copper out and shooting my moly bullets. Thanks to Roscoe for providing me with 20 naked SMK's free of charge!

I was shooting various charge weights and didn't have a whole lot of time and only fired one group per charge weight, so my results are a little jaded. My charge of 40.0gr of H4350 behind a naked 107 SMK yielded a 0.262" group center to center. This was the 4th 5 shot group fired from this rifle and the highest charge weight I had loaded in naked bullets. No pressure signs noted.

The moly bullets didn't fare as well as that, but I was fighting the sun going down and it was hard to see the target (last shot fired just before 9 pm). I plan on shooting all my moly charge weights again on Saturday to get some more reliable data from them. I was more concerned yesterday with getting the barrel coated with moly and finding max charge before pressure signs. Max charge fired with moly bullets was 40.5gr H4350 and I managed to see very slight ejector swipe on the case head of one cartridge, but no pressure signs on the primer....I haven't seen ejector swipe prior to primer cratering/flattening before. Strange.

Anyways, the goal is to find a good load that will shoot the 107gr SMK at around 3000-3050 fps. I'm not concerned with going much higher than that in the velocity department. I may try the 115gr DTAC's down the road, but I'm sticking to the 107 SMK (moly) for now.

For the record, Mr. Roscoe was extremely kind and had a very open line of communication during the build process. Was full of helpful knowledge in helping with my decision on the barrel contour and getting a load tuned for the rifle (or at least gave me some good starting points). What I liked most about using Mr. Roscoe to build my rifle was that I was always able to get a hold of him when I chose. I could call and he'd answer the phone. I could send an email and he'd reply (within a couple hours at most). That meant a lot to me. I'll also say that Mr. Roscoe bent over backwards to make sure that I was happy and got what I needed/expected out of this rifle.

Thanks again William for a straight shooting rifle.

Thanks for the kind words. Now if only it would quit fricken raining. Its been raining here for days. I don't mind shooting in the rain, but I'd like to get some velocity figures. Chronograph don't work so well in the rain.

Just to post a little update. Went to the Creekside Sniper Challenge (Taylorsville, GA) last weekend (7-11-2009). She and I managed to walk away with the 1st place prize. Here's a photo of the rifle on my loading bench (I ain't much of a photographer...)

P1010802.jpg